ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bentley Continental GTC - Diamond Black

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Bentley Continental GTC – Diamond Black

Two day Minor Paint Correction Detail. ~14 hours

Product
· 3M Glass Cleaner
· 3M Extra Fine
· 3M Ultra Fina
· 3M Fast Cut+
· 303 Convertible Top Cleaner
· AutoSmart Tardis
· AutoSmart G101
· AMDetails’ soft clay bar
· Belgom ALU
· Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection
· Chemical Guys JetSEAL109
· Jeffs Werkstat Prime Strong
· Menzerna 85RD 3.02
· Meguiars Last Touch
· Meguiars Super Degreaser
· Meguiars Hyper Wash

The Bentley’s put through a handwash station on a regular basis so required a ‘lift’ to remove the unsightly swirls and defects.

Inspection:

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

At first glance, “ah yeah. Dull”:

DSC_0477.jpg

Wheels cleaned inside and out. Various brushes, mitts and products used here.

DSC_0479.jpg

Tar deposits removed from wheel facing with AS Tardis.

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg
DSC_0485.jpg

And some rough wheel-weight residue removed:

DSC_0486.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

Roof cleaned with 303s Convertible Top Cleaner: (note the wireless remote in my left hand (very handy!!)

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

And rinsed at a reduced pressure:

DSC_0491.jpg

Foamed with Megs Hyper Wash to soften the dirt. Pressure rinsed from the bottom up to shift the loose detritus (“damage” material)

Washed with the two-bucket system, an Elite Car Care Merino Wash mitt and Dodo Juice Born to Be Mild shampoo.

DSC_0492.jpg

Before claying the car to remove any embedded contaminants (industrial fallout, honeydew, brake dust etc) AS Tardis was used to dissolve the stubborn deposits:

DSC_0494.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

Testing AMDetails’ new soft clay bar this time.

DSC_0498.jpg

After the front end and half the N/S, the pick wasn’t too bad (bonus of keeping your cars undercover!)

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

The bumper, bootlid and glass however were a little dirty so a worthwhile task. (Liking the new clay bars very much so – will be stocking up on the both the soft (green) and mild (blue) bars in the near future – Thanks Alan)

DSC_0503.jpg

Dried off and put inside for polishing (albeit the backend sticking out in the rain due to the sheer size of the thing!)

DSC_0511.jpg

“ugh”… *shudders*

DSC_0512.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg
DSC_0517.jpg

Even without the forced halogen or LED light, you could see the paint was hazy because of the swirls:

DSC_0518.jpg

The same areas as above, just, under LED inspection:

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

Whilst outside claying the car, I did notice the N/S looked a little flat. After further investigation and paint measurements, the whole side of the car had been painted (before my customer brought it at only 6 months old from the dealer).

The area photographed below, I couldn’t take paint measurements from (indicating filler!)

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

Filler or no filler, the finish on the paintwork was awful. The entire car was covered in a grey haze and ‘movement’. Couple dozens of trips to the handwash and a poor machine polish (possibly from the dealership), we’re left with a Bentley in desperate need of attention!

Starting big on the bonnet, a test pass was made with 3M Extrafine/Ultrafina on a yellow polishing pad.

Before/After:

DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

The lip on the edges of the bonnet were brought up with the same polish combo just on a small white Hexlogic spot pad.

Before/After/50/50:

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

Bonnet 50/50:

DSC_0537.jpg

Lots of room for improvement though; some of these marks were deep!

Before/After (~70% correction from the single-stage enhancement)

DSC_0534.jpg
DSC_0535.jpg

N/S front wing/door 50/50:

DSC_0539.jpg

Remember, the N/S is the repaired/painted side.

Before: (this is the area where the filler was located (and thickness readings up to 1120um))

DSC_0541.jpg

After the enhancement pass:

DSC_0542.jpg

Although much improved, look at the left (right?) side of the halogen; hazy and suffering from sanding marks.

Pushing further for better correction, I upped the approach for Menzerna 85RD 3.02 on a green light cut Hexlogic pad and tried again.

DSC_0543.jpg

Much better – refined with usual Extra Fine and Ultra Fina combo.

N/S rear quarter. Before/After:

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

After the single-stage “minor correction” pass, again, there was still plenty of room for improvement. Take the arch for example:

DSC_0546.jpg

To get the results that I wanted, I had to hit this again… Green light cut Hexlogic spot pad and Menz 3.02. After:

DSC_0551.jpg

Likewise, deep marks left higher up on the rear quarter.

DSC_0548.jpg

After second hit..

DSC_0550.jpg

Bootlid 50/50:

DSC_0554.jpg

Rear light clusters polished with Menz 203s. 50/50:

DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

Bumper-lip before/after:

DSC_0561.jpg

DSC_0562.jpg

Rear bumper before/after:

DSC_0565.jpg

DSC_0566.jpg

Boot lid 50/50:

DSC_0569.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0570.jpg
DSC_0571.jpg

Again, not happy with the finish on the O/S rear arch. Back out with the light cutting pads!

DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

If you thought the buffertrails on the N/S were bad, wait until you see these!

DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0578.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg

HD Video 50/50:

Natural light haze – before/after:

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

With the machine work complete, and after a quick blast to remove polishing dusts, the paintwork received an IPA wipedown to remove the polishing oils ensuring a squeaky clean base for the wax/sealant.

In this case, Blackfire’s All Finish Paint Protection was used (seeing as though it worked so well on the last Continental I did)

DSC_0238.jpg

Glass cleaned inside and out with 3M’s Glass Cleaner (still highly recommend this stuff if you’re after a good glass product). Alloys sealed. Tyres dressed. Britework polished (grille, exhaust etc)

(it’s around this time I get a square index-finger!)

Before/After:

DSC_0594.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0595.jpg
DSC_0620.jpg

…a painstakingly slow process!

And finished.

DSC_0601.jpg

DSC_0604.jpg

DSC_0607.jpg

DSC_0609.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_06112.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg
DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

DSC_0620.jpg
DSC_0621.jpg

I’ve passed on my “Pamper-Pack” kit (which is the essentials needed to perform a safe wash) so here’s to hoping the Bentley will remain this way from now.

Thanks for reading.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
  Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Nope. They had no idea. Pretty shocking really, eh? They didn't seem too bothered - they've had the car 3-4 years and never spotted anything... (just that it was a little 'grey' and was ready for a polish lol)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Really impressive stuff and a great read as usual.

Whenever anyone catches a glimpse of this sort of stuff over my shoulder (whether at work, or at home with my housemates) they always wonder what's going on... After explaining and showing them some 50/50's, everyone so far has found it near impossible to believe the difference you can make without repainting the car!

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
shame the front grill is plastic, love the bonnet release on them though!

I won't lie, the bonnet catch left me confused for two/three minutes... I'd dropped a little swab used to remove residues out of the panel gaps etc in the engine bay and needed to retrieve it, theres me trying to look underneath the grille for signs of a trigger/lever that needed a tug. :eek: :D

Really impressive stuff and a great read as usual.

Whenever anyone catches a glimpse of this sort of stuff over my shoulder (whether at work, or at home with my housemates) they always wonder what's going on... After explaining and showing them some 50/50's, everyone so far has found it near impossible to believe the difference you can make without repainting the car!

Thanks Rob. It's always nice to have a few videos too as you can appreciate it more in 'motion'.

An early start this morn as I'm heading up to Preston for two days. Keep an eye out for me if you're on the roads - A1, M62, M60 M61.

Cheers!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic work Jim, looked like a rather murky day aswell!

Back to it's best but that repair is terrible, even after all those hits there's no way to fix that kind of flat finish.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Great work! Hate Bentleys tho! Driven by 3 types of people, utter snobs, footballers and drug dealers. The latter 2 being the majority.

Agreed AR. Should see them around this way.

Jim, spot on as per! Had I known you were up this way I would have suggested a coffee bud. If you are around, bob me a text.

Jamie

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
GREAT work as always mate !!! Looks like a right crappy housing estate where this guy lives !! :D

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Thanks everyone.

Recognise this Jim, is it from round our area?

Top job as always.

Recognise the car or the location? It's local, yeah. Well, ~30 mins from me.

Super job Jim. And I bet one very happy customer?

Very much so, Scott. I quote "absolutely thrilled with the car, had a crowd around it at the office!" :approve: Hopefully will get to work on his 'toys', too.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Agreed AR. Should see them around this way.

Jim, spot on as per! Had I known you were up this way I would have suggested a coffee bud. If you are around, bob me a text.

Jamie

Sorry chap - I didnt see this until late. Was a good two days; got the mkiv to report and upload this evening. Next time I'm over, I'll be sure to send you a text.