ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best 37 or 40 LCD tv out there????

lots of tv threads today isnt there lol

whats your budget?
what do you need from it ?

are you a brand W*H*O*R*E*??

mike

Clio 172 Full Fat 02
The philips ambilight looks awesome, 7000:1 contrast ratio screen must be awesome but sony v-series are awesome too!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Would rather have a brand i've heard of.

Ambilight, will this work if not hung on a wall??

Just for watching films & tv Mainly.

Best place to buy from??? play etc??

whats your budget ?
at the moment one of the best is the goodmans at 1079 imho 42" and 1920x1080p support on all the interfaces

the sharp 37xd1e is good also when it comes out

the tosh 37wlt66/68

the philips aparantly sounds like a cat !!

Clio 172 Full Fat 02
mate always use pricerunner for lcds, you'll save 100s! Ambilight should work if not on wall it'll just project onto whatevers near!

Racin Blue 182
Sony w/x series look good. The Philips Ambilight 9831 is good but BIG money ~2.5k. It has a white backing board behind for the full surround ambilight.

You'll get a Samsung or Toshiba 46 for around 2k maybe less....

Nippy white cup
I have a samsung 40" (not sure of the exact model...same as the ones used for the xb360 booths but obviously bigger) and I can't fault it tbh. I got it for just short of £1200 using pricerunner...at the time Currys were doing a world cup offer and they wanted £1500!

Chris

Sony Bravia KDL40V2000 is pretty slick :cool:

Its the Which? TV of the year IIRC; they reckon its one of the first LCD's better than the top Plasma's. I'd get it if I had the money, and a room big enough to justify a screen that size.

(Everyones going nuts for TV's on CS today! lol)

182FF c/w Recaros
I have a Panasonic 37PX600 Plasma Steve. Very highly recommended practically everywhere you look.

1st Flastscreen tv i've had and love it to bits. Never going back to CRT now even if HD screens do have their issues with sub standard feeds.

Even makes a pretty god job with Freeview (the likes of Lost/CSI etc etc often look fab) unlike a lot of LCD's that tend to struggle with SD.

Watched Underworld Evolution on DVD the other day. Totally fab.

HD players/gaming to come soon as well:approve:

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Philips aren't the most reliable apparently. Inherant problems. I was looking at the 9831. Daft that it is £3500 list and can get less than £2000 from some ebay shops.

Check www.avforums.com out. Sony Bravia range are supposed to be very good LCD's at the mo but I never go by magazine reviews as quite often the best is who pay the most advertising with them !!!

id go for a panasonic, in the shops they always look the sharpest and clearest imo even when your quite close up to them, the rest all look grainy when too close even the bravias etc

Golf GTI 1.8T
Sony Bravia KDL40V2000 is pretty slick :cool:

Its the Which? TV of the year IIRC; they reckon its one of the first LCD's better than the top Plasma's. I'd get it if I had the money, and a room big enough to justify a screen that size.

(Everyones going nuts for TV's on CS today! lol)

knowsit!! helped set up one of those bad boys the other day! bout 4k of gear there though.

Image463.jpg

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Philips aren't the most reliable apparently. Inherant problems. I was looking at the 9831. Daft that it is £3500 list and can get less than £2000 from some ebay shops.

Check www.avforums.com out. Sony Bravia range are supposed to be very good LCD's at the mo but I never go by magazine reviews as quite often the best is who pay the most advertising with them !!!

What are these problems??? Used AV forums for about a month before i actually bought my philips. It seemed to be the favorite LCD with constant VS threads with the Pioneer plasma (which is stunning).

Mine has been totally reliable and looks great, set-up by AVforums boffs :)

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

What are these problems??? Used AV forums for about a month before i actually bought my philips. It seemed to be the favorite LCD with constant VS threads with the Pioneer plasma (which is stunning).

Mine has been totally reliable and looks great, set-up by AVforums boffs :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3743831&postcount=191

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
If its a plasma screen Pioneers are far and away the best although its the XDE one you want iirc.
If an LCD wasnt better suited for my uses id have one of those no doubt, it is better quality than any LCD.

If its a plasma screen Pioneers are far and away the best although its the XDE one you want iirc.
If an LCD wasnt better suited for my uses id have one of those no doubt, it is better quality than any LCD.

Are you joking?? You have have been watching some pretty bad LCD displays to come to that conclusion.

Generally LCD displays have far more pixel resolution than plasma screens. Most plasma sets are 1024x768, every HD image displayed on them is downscaled. The only LCD beating plasma is the Pioneer PDP-507XD.

The advantage of plasma screen technology is that is it easier and relatively cheap now to have a large screen size (50"+). LCD's of that size cost far more due to the greater complexities involved in manufacturing.

Personally i think with the way prices of LCD 40" sets have come down so much over the last year it's madness to buy a midrange plasma.

how and when would a plasma benefit over an lcd?

i always simply thought lcd's had better pictures.

90% of the time, they do. But they have disadvantages such as reduced viewing angles compared to plasma and depending on how much you spend, backlight bleed.

Last edited:
  FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Are you joking?? You have have been watching some pretty bad LCD displays to come to that conclusion.

Generally LCD displays have far more pixel resolution than plasma screens. Most plasma sets are 1024x768, every HD image displayed on them is downscaled. The only LCD beating plasma is the Pioneer PDP-507XD.

Are you saying im wrong and then saying im right :S

I didnt say Plasma was better except in the context of the Pioneer,

I know what LCDs do, im viewing this at 1920x1080 ;)
DSC00116.gif

182FF c/w Recaros
how and when would a plasma benefit over an lcd?

i always simply thought lcd's had better pictures.

I would seriously doubt that.

For SD material anyway. LCD's may come into their own with HD material but they can be dodgy with an average/poor source.

More pixels dont neccesarily mean a better picture.;)

I ended up going Plasma as most LCD's I checked out were poor (some were ghastly) with Freeview/DVD yet my Plasma can make neighbours look half decent lol.

Horses for courses, each have their advantages/disadvantages, you pays your money you takes your choice:)