ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best after market panel filters?

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
as the title suggests whats peoples opinions and experiances with aftre market panel filter i.e which one do people think is the bets?

cheers

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
itg panel filter.

I got one, but didn't really notice a difference but it saves on buying paper ones all the time.

Nissan Pulsar GTiR
Technically, the pleated cotton gauze filters, like the K&N and Green are the best both in terms of flow and filtration.

If you can get a Green 'Group N' element for your model, the have even better flow characteristics than the 'normal' Green filters and K&N filters as, they have 2 layers of cotton gauze as opposed to three.

As K&N have just launched a Panel filter for the 197, I'll be ordering one for the other halfs R27.
Unfortunately, Green don't currently make a panel filter for the 197 though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
really a panel filter is a panel filter, ive got an ITG in my 172 and a K&N in my 1.2, small gain noticed on the 172 with ITG but really that would probably have been noticed with any panel filter!

E39 M5 & Corsa track
i have a pipercross filter on mine, gains wise you wont in all honesty notice anything! just saves buying new ones on services

call 01604 755529 for good prices on pipercross items

Shed.
having a geen pannel in mine soon. i had a k&n in my old 1.2 16v and yeah, tbh i did notice a difference. but it was more "up in the revs" that i noticed it. and the fact that the car used to be able to go 80 mph with ease, then i rmeoved it and getting it past 60 was diffucult.

Skoda Fabia vRS
cotton ones give the best flow when new, slightly, but foam filters have longer service life whilst still giving a good flow rate, its because the filter media is simply a lot deeper than cotton gauze

Mercedes SLK350
cotton ones give the best flow when new, slightly, but foam filters have longer service life whilst still giving a good flow rate, its because the filter media is simply a lot deeper than cotton gauze

I have a Green cleaning kit for my filter. So, unlike the ITG, I can clean my filter giving me virtually a new filter every time.

I think cotton gauze flows more but doesnt filter aswell as foam, but in all fairness i dont think youd notice a difference between any aftermarket filter about from in your wallet just go for the cheapest!!

SLK 350
You can clean an ITG by just bathing it in a small amount of petrol, then hanging it until dry and reoiling it - Silkolene sticky spray oil I used to use.

Mercedes SLK350
You can clean an ITG by just bathing it in a small amount of petrol, then hanging it until dry and reoiling it - Silkolene sticky spray oil I used to use.

I stand corrected. When I had my ITG filter, I was given some foam strips to wipe over the surface of the filter to remove any debris.

The Green filter is much easier to clean and not such a messy job.

Skoda Fabia vRS

I have a Green cleaning kit for my filter. So, unlike the ITG, I can clean my filter giving me virtually a new filter every time.

you can clean foam filters aswell, so, :p

Skoda Fabia vRS

I stand corrected. When I had my ITG filter, I was given some foam strips to wipe over the surface of the filter to remove any debris.

The Green filter is much easier to clean and not such a messy job.

ive no idea what you mean about foam strips, and i sell ITG filters

ive had K&N, Green, Pipercross, Ramair, ITG, ive tried em all

178hp 172 Cup
i gotta ITG and tbh u cant notice any difference to the standard filter!! but last longer and for the sort of money they go for its not worth worrying about :)

would be interesting if someone did an article on different filters materials types etc and did a flow test amount of air passing etc.. and how much crap it filters out. Paper ones must filter the best but ovi gunna be worse for air flow.

Nissan Pulsar GTiR
I think cotton gauze flows more but doesnt filter aswell as foam, but in all fairness i dont think youd notice a difference between any aftermarket filter about from in your wallet just go for the cheapest!!
Cotton filters both flow better and filter more particulates than foam filters.
It's very difficult to get the density of a foam filter to flow well and filter out particulates well. So, they compromise and have above average flow and average filtration properties.

This article isn't ideal but, does give an idea of how well each filter type performs.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

I suppose you have to settle for airflow V filtration. Better airflow the more crap the engine will suck in. Although to be honest does it really matter about particles this small? I have never been a fan of those HKS Jap pieces of crap tho..

Nissan Pulsar GTiR
I suppose you have to settle for airflow V filtration. Better airflow the more crap the engine will suck in. Although to be honest does it really matter about particles this small? I have never been a fan of those HKS Jap pieces of crap tho..
Thats exactly right.
I personally have a Blitz SUS kit on my car. I know from experience the filtration is far from the best but, the flow it gives is second to none. I'm personally willing to risk it but, I still fancy trying a large K&N or Green cone, for the better filtration, and not greatly compromised flow.
Ultimately, those small particles will shorten the life of your engine. To what extent though, is anyones guess. You pay your money's......
I totally agree with your view on the HKS kits too. I wouldn't touch those with a barge pole and actively recommend those with the HKS kits to change them. Very poor design indeed.

Clown Car
ive no idea what you mean about foam strips, and i sell ITG filters
If you wipe a foam strip over the surface of the ITG filter it will attract/pick up bits off the filter surface i think, i was told to clean it using a foam strip when i was at the ITG factory here in Coventry.

Another disadvantage with foam is the fact that they are soaked in oil much more so than the cotton type filters (assuming just because they absorb more?). This can screw electircal components but doesnt seem to have any adverse effects on the clios that i know of. Be also interesting to know what they use in rally cars/formula racing etc...

does anyone know if the new K&N filter for the 197 is the same one that will fit in a clio dynamiqe 1.2 sx TCE 100 (2007) model or do I require different one? Sorry to be off-topic slightly here.. Josh

Clio 172 mk2
Another disadvantage with foam is the fact that they are soaked in oil much more so than the cotton type filters (assuming just because they absorb more?). This can screw electircal components but doesnt seem to have any adverse effects on the clios that i know of. Be also interesting to know what they use in rally cars/formula racing etc...

Definately can screw cars with 'hot wire' air sensors like Subarus.

I believe the clio runs a map sensor though so isn't affected by this.

I still went for Green though..a lot of folk I know run big power subarus with Green filters so if it's god enough for them, it's good enough for my near stock 172.

Skoda Fabia vRS
its not just foam filters that are 'rumoured' to cause problems with air flow sensors

the vast majority of F1 cars use cotton gauze filters made by BMC

not sure on the likes of WRC lately, though most used to use foam

Skoda Fabia vRS
it is true :p

i very much doubt they use the same filter media as the street stuff though, but yes they are BMC cotton filters