ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best all-round semi-slicks?

With my AR1's now shot, i'm in need of some more semi-slicks. I currently have the overkill of 3 sets of wheels and have to rely on others to carry an extra set to track.

One set for wets and road with Rainsport 5's, which are only good for very wet conditions, for road they really lack and sort of feedback and really don't inspire confidence for fast road use.

Another with AR1's for damp/drying track and summer road use, but as these are now down to illegal thread depths I have to resort to the RS5's for the road. Plus they are really poor in wet conditions.

And lastly a set with full slicks, which in this countries climate rarely get used.

So I'm looking to drop down to just one set of wheels with an all-round semi slick.

I'm drawn towards the Yokohama A052 given there excellent wet weather properties, just not sure if they will cut it on a hot, dry track?

Anyone got any other recommendations? They have to be in 15" sizes too.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I had a set of new compound AD08RS fitted in December as they were the only semi slicks i could find at very short notice. The guy at the garage uses them on a morgan race team he works for and he really rated them.
I was dubious, having read some reviews, but i was really impressed with them. They took a while to get up to temperature, but gripped really well on a very wet snetterton and as the track dried they got better and better. It was damp and cold, so I'm not sure how long they would last on a hot dry day. Hopefully I'll find out at some point this year...
20201215_124356.jpg

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
I was about to order some rainsports for wet track and road use but you've put me off now 🤣

I was about to order some rainsports for wet track and road use but you've put me off now 🤣
Haha, TBH honest mate on a more road oriented car I think they would be fine as they grip really well in all condition. Its just on my super stiff track car they are the only thing to flex when road driving, therefore they feel very spongy and lack real feed back.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
A052s are incredible.

Up there with 03Gs for outright dry grip and piss all over them in the cold and wet. Even seen people say they are quicker than the Dunlop but not seen any proof.

Downside is they wear like mad, Rears were dead in 2.5k and fronts managed 4k, granted that was with 3 knockhill evenings included

A052s are incredible.

Up there with 03Gs for outright dry grip and piss all over them in the cold and wet. Even seen people say they are quicker than the Dunlop but not seen any proof.

Downside is they wear like mad, Rears were dead in 2.5k and fronts managed 4k, granted that was with 3 knockhill evenings included
There's always a draw back, but they sound ideal. AR1's have lasted 2 years with 10 track days and around 3k road miles, the draw back is they're shite in cold/wet conditions.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
A052s are incredible.

This.

I'd go R888R for price : performance.

Or, AD08RS if you can't put up with the 888 noise day to day, or live somewhere that puddles up frequently.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
A052 are what Chris uses for his Fiesta race thingy. not cheap but brill.

didn't that mad Yaris have the a052 or a048 at Donny? Unreal how that thing stuck and it was wet!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
A052s are only 220 in 265 35 18 from a place at Knockhill which makes them very good value, I was gonna end up with them but I just can't deal with that wear rate again so I'll go Cup 2 Connect as they are cheaper again.

A052 are what Chris uses for his Fiesta race thingy. not cheap but brill.

didn't that mad Yaris have the a052 or a048 at Donny? Unreal how that thing stuck and it was wet!
Ask him what wear he gets out of them mate? As the fizzer will be a similar weight to mine.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ask him what wear he gets out of them mate? As the fizzer will be a similar weight to mine.

He's balls out racing though isn't he and qualifying etc. Sure he said gets 4 race weekends out of em

He's balls out racing though isn't he and qualifying etc. Sure he said gets 4 race weekends out of em
So whats that in laps. Say 20 laps for 2 practice sessions, 6 laps for 2 qualifying sessions and 2 x 12 lap races, so around 40 laps a race weekend.

Rears would last around 4-5 track days, fronts around 6-7 days on mine.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Used twice only. 1 at a wet/damp Cadwell morning and dryish afternoon. I was doing 1:49 laps and 1 Donnington Gp day which was wet morning dry afternoon doing 1:54 laps. A052 are on another level to R888r and A048s, which were the tyres i used to use. The picture here is the nearside front which i have rotated to the rear as it does show signs that they will wear quick. But i do drive it pretty hard. Still playing with pressures though.
4003aaeb536bcb49bc50dd341f50fc1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Used twice only. 1 at a wet/damp Cadwell morning and dryish afternoon. I was doing 1:49 laps and 1 Donnington Gp day which was wet morning dry afternoon doing 1:54 laps. A052 are on another level to R888r and A048s, which were the tyres i used to use. The picture here is the nearside front which i have rotated to the rear as it does show signs that they will wear quick. But i do drive it pretty hard. Still playing with pressures though. View attachment 1525152

Maybe more negative camber needed? Looks like its leaning at lot on the outside shoulder.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Maybe more negative camber needed? Looks like its leaning at lot on the outside shoulder.
Its already at neg 3. Id say it was more down to running a bit low on pressure as it was wet and cold. I should have bumped it up a couple of psi. I was running 28 hot. Could have done with being 30/32. [emoji2357]

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Not sure why they state they are not E marked as the 52's are defo E marked.

Think it's a case of whichever you buy, some are and some aren't

My avons are E marked but i know a lot aren't. Weird

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I’m semi tempted to move from 03G’s as my track tyres as they are nearly dead and abit old now but also slightly unsure what to, for me I have 2 sets, driving to track set which are also used for wet weather, these are currently an old set of AD08R’s (not RS) and them then 03G’s for better and most other track weather.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Watching with interest im in the similar situation was running ad08r for track and PS3 for road but since quite a bit to the car over the passed year, cage coilovers etc so want a more tracks focussed semi slick been looking at r888r,ar1. Dz03g etc so many different opinions on every tyre never considered the ao52 think it was the 48 I looked at

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
DZ03G’s are amazing but not cheap, not sure I would fancy using them driving on the road either.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I daily on R888s in the summer and PS3 for winter.
2 of my R888s are getting low, might buy 2 more or replace the set with AR1s. I know Nangkang are releasing a new tyre this year between an NS2R and the AR1 called the CR1. These could be a great summer road tyre. 🙂

2394DD6F-38D4-437A-8267-B2C8BF55A649.jpeg

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
I don’t think a tyre exists to meet all your requirements.
You’ll have to make compromises in some areas of where you’re wanting performance. Obviously this is why currently you’ve got multiple sets.

If it’s a road car primarily, I’d get Cup 2’s. Obviously you’re going to have to peg yourself back a bit on dry track.
If you’re after something hard wearing which won’t kill you on the road, I’d say AD08 (though I’ve not tried the new RS model everyone slags off)

I know it’s probably not the most convenient for you. But 2 sets of wheels makes much more sense to people who have boot space 😂

I don’t think a tyre exists to meet all your requirements.
You’ll have to make compromises in some areas of where you’re wanting performance. Obviously this is why currently you’ve got multiple sets.

If it’s a road car primarily, I’d get Cup 2’s. Obviously you’re going to have to peg yourself back a bit on dry track.
If you’re after something hard wearing which won’t kill you on the road, I’d say AD08 (though I’ve not tried the new RS model everyone slags off)

I know it’s probably not the most convenient for you. But 2 sets of wheels makes much more sense to people who have boot space 😂
Think I'd keep the slicks as they're worth peanuts. I can always drag the missus to the local tracks or lob them in one of my mates stripped hatches if they're in attendance, plus it'll reduce wear on the road/track set for dry days.

Need a little trailer for the MR2 ideally 😅

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I was considering AR1’s over 03G’s as they are easily over £150 cheaper but when the weathers good the 03G’s bring so much for me who only does 3/4 Trackdays a year, I would rather maximise my enjoyment with the best rubber (minus slicks).

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I use the O3G Dunlop’s all year round on the track car with a MOT. Admittedly it’s more track focused with throttle bodies AST’s and a diff in the box but I’ve never had any problems with them on wet or damp roads..hardly use it on the road if it’s raining but when it’s dry they are far better than AR1’s’ and slightly better than R888.
They are the more expensive tyre but that’s because they are the best. They do need a bit of warmth before they are switched on
Obviously a tyre with treadwear with 200 isn’t as grippy as a tyre with 100 or lower

Always comes down to driving to the conditions.

Clio 172
Yeah and a mot fail.
Definitely not true. E marking does not define a road legal tyre (except on a Welsh Road Rally). I've seen non-E marked tyres on Police cars.

There are many tyres which are not E marked which are quite legal to use on the road. Go to a Road Rally (outside Wales) and you'll see many.

The vagary of "fit for use" is the main factor. List 1b and 1c tyres are now banned from Road Rallies as they're marketed as being for dry asphalt use. Most Road Rallies don't use dry asphalt. Similarly, using a tyre marketed for dry asphalt use on the road in the rain could see you in trouble.