ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Car After A Clio

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I was just using it as a dodgy handling in the wet comparison hehe :)

Dan

Meg 230 R26 F1
just watched a coupe of clips of coupe turbo's...they sounded absolutely mental.

i had know idea they were like that, even more serious consideration for one of them now!

Flame 172
Woody, decent Pulsars are quite hard to come by, but can be the same with a lot of Jap cars, as they are all at least 10 years old and often don't have any history prior to coming to this country.
Any of the turbo charged ones will be easy to get a reliable 300bhp, just need boost controller, front mount intercooler and uprated fuel pump (for the Pulsar anyway). When you have got 300bhp in a Pulsar you are looking at 0-60 of well under 5secs. There is a guy on gtiroc.com who has got under 300bhp and has been timed at about 3.6secs 0-60. Pulsars are a lot lighter than Celicas and most others too. Heres some pics of mine if your interested:

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff251/dewis_2007/

Meg 230 R26 F1
lovely car fella...but you have just made my decisions even harder...thanks!

(in a good way)

how much are we talking for those mods you mention? just in case i cant find one with them on already?

Flame 172
Well a half decent boost controller is about £250, front mount intercooler £350 and uprated fuel pump (Walbro) £70 iirc. With these fitted you can safely turn the stock boost of 0.7bar up to 1.2bar on the standard turbo.
But as mentioned you can do these sorts of mods to all these turbo charged cars with the same result... lots more bhp! Just be careful not to blow it up!

My 2 pence with these sorts of Jap cars is to be prepared to possibly spend a lot of money, as with the age and often vague history of the car you can't be sure of what might happen!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
would love the tvr but unfortunately its about £3000 over budget

....and will cost 3K to upkeep on 12K per annum mileage.

Considered one myself a while back. After talking to a few owners the 3K servicing budget and the notorious bad reliability put me off.

A big problem is that quite a few suffer from chassis rot due to poor powder coating when originally assembled. This is cars which are only ten years old or there abouts.:headno: Costing 7K to sort out!

visualize whirled pe
just watched a coupe of clips of coupe turbo's...they sounded absolutely mental.

i had know idea they were like that, even more serious consideration for one of them now!

I mentioned how good the coupe 20vt sounds about 4 pages back, but yhea your not wrong they do sound the dogs.

I'm warming to the looks of them too these days.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If it was me personally id go for the Pulsar mate its the ultimate track/road tool its a 4x4 menace, and you would really need 400bhp+ to beat it pound for pound!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
^ Shame they cost a fair bit to maintain, reliability isn't their stongest point. Especially at that state of tune.

Current ride - my Adidas!
Id be huntin down an Integrale, I know they're old and not as quick as a few of those mentioned already but I just love em. Pulsars, GT4s and 20V Turbo Coupes all really sound choices.

Meg 230 R26 F1
lancia delta is a cracking suggestion...i dont know much about them, and have never seen a RHD.

heard they are a bit dangerous though, and expensive to repair, when they, undoubtedly go wrong.

but would always be persuaded if i found a mint example, under warrenty

53 Clio's & counting
we had an intergrale in part ex at work a while back,was so rotten it crabbed and had even rusted through the roof

Current ride - my Adidas!
yeh well known 4 rusting russ, def not puttin the 'grale up as a reliable modern alternative but would i own 1 myself? damn right. would have 2 spend alot 2 get a nice late evo 1 tho, yellow with spokey speedlines mmm

visualize whirled pe
A bloke I used to work with had to place a metal baking tray on the engine of his integrale because when it rained the water went into the bonnet vents and stopped it from starting the thing is I dont think he gived a damn, he seemed to love it regardless.
It still was an awsome looking car. But the rust and price of getting that sorted can be a big problem.