ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Clio for 1k?

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Hey,

I'm looking for my first car and obviously being here I'd love a Clio! I'm 21, no no claims at the moment so insurance is still a problem (small capacity Clios is still knocking on for £600 fully comp) so 172/182 Clios are out :(.

With there being a number of specs, models, years etc, what should I be looking for? Not looking for a minter as I'm planning on doing it up but mechanically sound with no major problems is essential. Any bad years/models I should avoid?

Cheers!

1.4 dynamique (soon)
im 17 and ive been looking at getting myself a 1.4 dynamique 52 onwards, all look pretty sweet at the moment, not too pricey aswell, looking to stick some stuff in her too ;) hahaah

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
I would try and get a DCI 80 in the Dynamique spec, look for a 52 onwards as I think they are slightly higher spec.

Something like this.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...s/1500/postcode/st163lj/keywords/80?logcode=p

Can you turn it into a track day car? ;) I was aiming for petrol but then I'm going to be doing a lot of dual carriageway/motorway driving so diesel is probably better. Can always get a cheap Clio for racing I suppose.

Any problems with the diesels? Last diesel I had (well, was insured on) was a rotter. Always broken down and £££ to fix, to the point of it was just part-exed it in for something else. Citroen C4 Picasso = bad car! I've got the entire household hearing me say "I'm considering a diesel" and they're all telling me to avoid and won't listen the diesel engine isn't the same so the chances of similar problems are next to nil :banghead:

im 17 and ive been looking at getting myself a 1.4 dynamique 52 onwards, all look pretty sweet at the moment, not too pricey aswell, looking to stick some stuff in her too ;) hahaah

Yeah they don't look too bad. Careful on insurance, once you start adding in mods your insurance will go sky-high. Some insurers count stickers as mods!

1.4 dynamique (soon)
Don't worry mate, I bought it with the 1*2 interior and bumpers with the RS grille and alloys from the mk1 172 oz f1's haha just thought that's how the car came hahaha and I'm going with insure the box I think, it's only 109 ppm

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Can you turn it into a track day car? ;) I was aiming for petrol but then I'm going to be doing a lot of dual carriageway/motorway driving so diesel is probably better. Can always get a cheap Clio for racing I suppose.

Any problems with the diesels? Last diesel I had (well, was insured on) was a rotter. Always broken down and £££ to fix, to the point of it was just part-exed it in for something else. Citroen C4 Picasso = bad car! I've got the entire household hearing me say "I'm considering a diesel" and they're all telling me to avoid and won't listen the diesel engine isn't the same so the chances of similar problems are next to nil :banghead:

The 1.5 dci engines are fairly tuneable and they are very reliable. Tbh most Renault engines seem to be pretty reliable these days.

Mpg is epic on dci's i think the 80 is the best on fuel too.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
The 1.5 dci engines are fairly tuneable and they are very reliable. Tbh most Renault engines seem to be pretty reliable these days.

Mpg is epic on dci's i think the 80 is the best on fuel too.

Yeah, I've never really heard of them going wrong. Everybody I live with (who know feck all about cars) are all "It'll break, I'm telling you!"

80mpg is silly figures, definitely better than petrol from what I've seen. Will consider one definitely.

RB 182 cup
Thats to bad, you can get a nice phase 1 2.016v for a grand.

DCIs would be my choice, but again, they are hard to insure.
avoid the 1.2 8v, they are terrible.

RB 182 cup
I paid a grand for mine, fierny will vouch, it was a nice one. Was pretty much mint bar a set of daft o.z 17s and a phase 2 airbox with 70K on it, clutch, belts, dephaser and tensioner done with FSH and new P zeros all round
I will admit the owner should have sold it for more, but if you hold out for one, they are at the very bottom of their value right now and some people need a car gone quickly.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
If I were to slowly do it up and turn it into a road legal (as it'll be my daily driver) track day car, what would be the best base to start from? Looking at 250bhp, uprated brakes and suspension, possibly turboing it as well, but can't afford insurance on the sporty Clios. Presume a petrol Clio with the biggest engine (1.6?) would be the best base?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I paid a grand for mine, fierny will vouch, it was a nice one. Was pretty much mint bar a set of daft o.z 17s and a phase 2 airbox with 70K on it, clutch, belts, dephaser and tensioner done with FSH and new P zeros all round
I will admit the owner should have sold it for more, but if you hold out for one, they are at the very bottom of their value right now and some people need a car gone quickly.

Please post picts.

250bhp out of a a clio is going to cost ££££'s, Your looking at either a turbo or supercharger.

You can track anything really, the DCi's tend to respond well to some mods.

Getting a 1.6 Clio worth £1k to 250bhp is a pointless exercise and very expensive if its even possible.

Why not just get a 172? If your serious about modding and chasing horses then your insurance will be through the roof anyway on a modded car.

Standard 172 sorted

Last edited:
  '20 Zoe, '09 V70
250bhp out of a a clio is going to cost ££££'s, Your looking at either a turbo or supercharger.
You can track anything really, the DCi's tend to respond well to some mods.
Getting a 1.6 Clio worth £1k to 250bhp is a pointless exercise and very expensive if its even possible.
Why not just get a 172? If your serious about modding and chasing horses then your insurance will be through the roof anyway on a modded car.

Standard 172 sorted

I want a car in January and I don't want to wait :rasp: I'm an impatient sod in case you hadn't noticed :D I was going to get one in decent nick then do the interior, wait a bit for my insurance to drop then start doing performance stuff like engine, brakes, that sort of thing. Once I get a year of no claims I'll be alright - should drop it below £450 or so, at the mo I'm looking at £600 fully comp on a 1.4 2002 Clio!

A decent 172 is more than I can realistically afford - I'm a student living off loans (full whack, about £8k a year plus I'm trying to find a job as well and while my only outgoings are food (literally, and a £60 a month bus pass!) I can't financially justify something like that insurance wise because I know without even looking at a quote it'll be 4 digits.

What does a well looked after 172 go for these days? Can see a few on Autotrader under 1k but I'm weary of a car like that for so little money (may very well be wrong on that though).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...4eg/keywords/172/radius/1501/page/1?logcode=p

That one is just the first one that came up, under £800 and £1500 to insure.... just can't afford it and that's with a grand excess. The joys of being 21 eh:banghead::p

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Just get a DCI 80 and use it properly. Don't be a tool and rag it everywhere.

They respond well to a few little mods. But don't expect massive power out of the 1.5 unit unless you have 10k spare to burn

RB 182 cup
Please post picts.

Its really frustrating, I had an album full of pictures I had taken cleaning it and of it in general etc but saved them to my gfs PC that needed reloading, and renewed my phone so have lost most of them.

I only have this one from the day i picked it up,

cliopicture4.jpg

this one i uploaded onto facebook on the drive home,

cliopicture4.jpg

And this one after I had given it a quick was and polish,

cliopicture3-1.jpg

I fitted the Ktec properly, removed the black vinyl from the front, then after a couple layers of wax it really did look stunning. It was the only car ive ever owned that genuinely had no door dentss or marks etc. the alloy bonnet had no oxidisation underneath either.
I would say i regret selling it now i look back. But i made money on it so cant complain.