ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Clio for my budget?

Hi all, after receiving an offer I couldn't refuse for my Audi I'm in the market for a new car and after reading reviews I'm quite taken with the Clio 172. I have a budget of £3.5k, I've seen a 182 advertised for £3k but things about the advert ring alarm bells. What am I looking at in terms of mileage etc for my budget?

Thanks in advance.

BG 182 FF
for 3.5kish for a mk2 ph2 172 you are looking 60k upwards milage wise in good condition.
mk2 ph1 172 you could get a very nice one for that sort of cash I would think
If a 182 is advertised for 3k i would approach with caution and do some background research on it i.e write off etc

Remember every 5 years the belts need to be changed so take that into consideration.
Cam belt every 72k or 5 years
Aux belts every 36k or 5 years

Well there's obviously something amiss, in the advert it says that it has full history but the buyer will need to obtain it from Renault. Is there a buyers guide on here so I know the difference between a PH1 and 2?

BG 182 FF
you will have to sign up and there is a guide in the guide section. Worth a £10 imo as it could save you alot of £££'s as it makes you aware of common problems etc

b/g 182, meg tourer
i would go for a decent ph1 172. cracking cars. i would be happy to swap my 182 for a decent one.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
pick of the bunch would be 172 cup if ya just want raw thrills for 3.5k or ph2 172 for comfort and near enough same ability. cup is lighter no leather or abs but has turini alloys and a nice shade of blue.

Hmm, not a fan of leather, like doing trackdays and it;s too slippy! Also it wears too quickly. Can't say I'm a fan of ABS either, looks like a Cup it is if I can find one within budget...

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
With that budget you'll get a mint Ph1 172 or average/good Ph2 172 in terms of condition. Don't buy one that hasn't had the belts done as thats quite expensive.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
tbh the ABS isnt that intrusive on the Ph 1.

For 3.5 that will get you a mint example and spare money to make for decent mods on it

Astra SRI/ Hornet
cup is better than ph 1 in everyway renault made them that way. you can def get a cup for 3.5k sounds like the perfect choice for ya really. i had 1 for 2 years , put hairs on ya chest, lol

320d
PH1 or Cup for me. Not a fan of the PH2 172, not raw enough for my liking. If I did more miles and fancied a bit more comfort i'd probably just stretch to a cup packed 182.

Astra SRI/ Hornet

yes thats right just cos you own 1 doesnt mean ph1 are the best renault know a damn sight more than you about making cars and they bettered the ph1 in everyway, just like a trophy is better than a 172 cup and r27 and so on, its called progress. manufactures dont always get it right but renault have been pretty spot on the past few years. all in my opion though it is a discusion.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
thats another story that dave. lol ya dont fancy a nice low millage strong engined inferno by any chance?

Don't spose either of you 2 fancy meeting up to show me your cars? I've never been in a Clio and it'd be a good idea to make sure I fit! (long legs)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
who me? lol yeah id take ya out, its sorn at the mo though till the 15th cos it was due new year and due to weather thought it was pointless. give the roads a chance to get better. mines a 182 cup though.

who me? lol yeah id take ya out, its sorn at the mo though till the 15th cos it was due new year and due to weather thought it was pointless. give the roads a chance to get better. mines a 182 cup though.

It's the seating position I'm interested in more than anything, I understand there are washers you can remove to lower the seats though.

I'm 6'2" and although you wouldn't fit anyone who has legs sitting behind me, I find the driving position OK.

The seating position is pretty sh*t, the washer removal helps but it's still a little high. To be honest though it's something you live with, I had the same problem with my old TME Evo but again you get used to it!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
For the money, do what I did. I was running a Trophy and a ph2 172. Sold them both, purchased a ph1 172 (low miles, 40kish) that needed work, and spent a bit of cash on it. Best decision I ever made. The best Clio I've owned (prev a ph2 172, a 182cup, ph2 172 again, Trophy).

4068728988_af92fd7624.jpg

For the money, do what I did. I was running a Trophy and a ph2 172. Sold them both, purchased a ph1 172 (low miles, 40kish) that needed work, and spent a bit of cash on it. Best decision I ever made. The best Clio I've owned (prev a ph2 172, a 182cup, ph2 172 again, Trophy).

4068728988_af92fd7624.jpg

When you say it needed work what are we talking? I take it that's your car in the pic, nice colour.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It was in this condition, but the belts had been done and mechanically it was sound.
IMGP1600.jpg

Since buying I've done the seats, changed the steering wheel, the wheels, exhaust, and coilovers. Most of that was through choice though.

Well I was planing on changing the steering wheel on any I get anyway, red nasty reports of glasses/airbag interfaces and being a glasses wearer I don;t like airbags! I take it yours had a bump before you got it then?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
yes thats right just cos you own 1 doesnt mean ph1 are the best renault know a damn sight more than you about making cars and they bettered the ph1 in everyway, just like a trophy is better than a 172 cup and r27 and so on, its called progress. manufactures dont always get it right but renault have been pretty spot on the past few years. all in my opion though it is a discusion.

I did own one yes, so past tense.

Right so you think the Cup (puts hairs on ya chest) and i dont.

It has no ABS and a cancerous interior, yeah definatley not for the faint hearted that

Honda & VW
If you want to spend all your money on the car then a Ph2 is a sure winner, but if you're willing to buy a slightly cheaper car and spend the change on mods then definately get a Ph1. No way will a 182 for that money be worth having!!!!

It seems the decision is being made for me, no Phase 1's for sale within 100 miles of me on 'trader or Pistonheads!

Honda & VW
It seems the decision is being made for me, no Phase 1's for sale within 100 miles of me on 'trader or Pistonheads!

This is always a problem, i was looking for the ideal car for nearly 2 months. changed my mind about 4 times as i thought i'd never find what i initially wanted.

If you want something specific you have 2 choices:

1] Hold out

2] Travel as far as it takes to get what you want.

I initially searched for cars within 100 miles radius, it wasn't until i upped it to 200 that i found the right car.

For the sake of a tank or 2 of fuel or a train ticket it's worth it in the long run.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Well I was planing on changing the steering wheel on any I get anyway, red nasty reports of glasses/airbag interfaces and being a glasses wearer I don;t like airbags! I take it yours had a bump before you got it then?
I wouldn't pay any attention to that. Airbags are only really an issue if you have glass lenses, as they tend to shatter. Not really an issue with plastic lenses.

The report I read said that glasses were initially thrown off in an impact then the airbag helpfully shoved them back into your eyes, glass or plastic you're still going blind!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I did own one yes, so past tense.

Right so you think the Cup (puts hairs on ya chest) and i dont.

It has no ABS and a cancerous interior, yeah definatley not for the faint hearted that

that comment was a joke you r****d. my whole point was a 172cup is a better car than the ph1. fact
you say the seats are rubbish but have you seen a ph1 dash, lol and grey leather no thanks.