ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best coilover for comfort?

I like a really hard ride. They are an excellent coilover, can't fault them at all! Just not for me...
Why? All you're doing is limiting what the suspension can do and sacrificing a load of grip......unless of course performance isn't important.

Phil

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Phil @ P5 said:
Why? All you're doing is limiting what the suspension can do and sacrificing a load of grip......unless of course performance isn't important.

Phil
There does seem to be a culture of stiffer = better a lot of the time. No idea why.

There does seem to be a culture of stiffer = better a lot of the time. No idea why.
Probably because 99% of companies that put together 'kits' don't know what they are doing or look at F1 and think that a car should corner as flat as possible, but a road car is a completely different animal. Same with ride heights and lowering beyond what you're working with ie what OE have designed.

Phil

All I know is that I can drive a clio better when it's that little bit stiffer than when i get a lot of body roll... maybe it's a weight issue though as i'm comparing my 172 to my old 1.4. ATM I don't like how my 172 handles, would like it to stay low though but I don't think the billsteins are that type of coilover.

All I know is that I can drive a clio better when it's that little bit stiffer than when i get a lot of body roll... maybe it's a weight issue though as i'm comparing my 172 to my old 1.4. ATM I don't like how my 172 handles, would like it to stay low though but I don't think the billsteins are that type of coilover.
Yes, the driver is a factor in this as well, you need to engineer a kit that will give confidence rather than take away ...

Excessive roll can mean the bump stops are in use in normal spirited driving, which is never a good thing, and stiffer springs will help to reduce required travel, but you need to consider that there's only so much travel and a point where stiffer has adverse results. Over lowering can also mean more body roll (the relationship between CoG and roll centre) and incorrectly 'cured' by even stiffer springs.

Yes, the driver is a factor in this as well, you need to engineer a kit that will give confidence rather than take away ...

Excessive roll can mean the bump stops are in use in normal spirited driving, which is never a good thing, and stiffer springs will help to reduce required travel, but you need to consider that there's only so much travel and a point where stiffer has adverse results. Over lowering can also mean more body roll (the relationship between CoG and roll centre) and incorrectly 'cured' by even stiffer springs.

I really have no idea where to go from here now lol I do rate the Billstein b14 kit because of the technology used and lots of people say you can't get much better. I don't want to start messing about changing spring rates with these, I would rather just sell them to someone who will actually appreciate them for what they have been built for. A car built to handle, not look good.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I really have no idea where to go from here now lol I do rate the Billstein b14 kit because of the technology used and lots of people say you can't get much better. I don't want to start messing about changing spring rates with these, I would rather just sell them to someone who will actually appreciate them for what they have been built for. A car built to handle, not look good.

if you want the mono-tube technology from the bilstein and want a stiffer ride you could go for AST coilovers as those are mono-tube too and you also get a rear coilover unit. They have adjustable damping so you can stiffen that up and you can choose spring rates to suit you:
http://www.kamracing.co.uk/index.ph...vers-renault-clio-mk2-rs-172-172-cup-182.html