ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Filter for a Mk 1 Phs 1 16v

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
Hello people,

I am looking at getting an induction kit for my 1994 16v, just wanted a few makes that people know, or have used that i should look into getting.

Spoke to a couple of people so far and they have both recommended the Viper Kit from K-Tec.

But i just wanted a few more confirmations or suggestions.

Cheers,

Richie

Audi TT 225 Quattro
don't get the viper they are absolute shite on the mk1 16v due to k-tecs tb adaptor being so restrictive. what most people do inc myself is just put an itg panel filter in the std airbox seems to be the best option for money, or if u do want to spend abit go for the hillpower relocated air filter which moves the filter well away from hot engine heat... http://www.hillpower.co.uk/newprod.html

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
jay s said:
don't get the viper they are absolute sh*te on the mk1 16v due to k-tecs tb adaptor being so restrictive. what most people do inc myself is just put an itg panel filter in the std airbox seems to be the best option for money, or if u do want to spend abit go for the hillpower relocated air filter which moves the filter well away from hot engine heat... http://www.hillpower.co.uk/newprod.html

Thanks mate, ill look into it.

i take it your a valver owner, anyother idea's on how i can achieve a bit of extra poke. Im looking at a Longlife Custom S/S Exhaust. Have ya got any idea what they are like???
or any suggestions into any other exhaust systems???

Cheers Fella,

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
BenR said:
a nice stock clean paper filter is best.

Really?????

How comes, keeping it stock is the best??

I know there are certain parts of a 16v that should be kept stock to give better throttle respnse and torque, but didnt know that the Filter was one of them???

It will certainly be the cheapest is this is the case.

Any idea's as to what make i should be looking at then????

Cheers Fella,

Mint Clio Valver!
save your pennies mate. Or get a panel replacement. Stick an induction kit in a prepare to lose to RSI's (well not quite!)

If you wanna really save money and get teeency amounts more poke then take ur current panel filter out and dunk it in petrol for half an hour. Let it dry a bit, then bosh it back in and that'l have cleaned it all nicely.

THEN when ur mates ask: 'wow, whats that noise? what u done to it?' you can say: 'nothing, its just a beast!'

:D

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
phattboycoxy said:
save your pennies mate. Or get a panel replacement. Stick an induction kit in a prepare to lose to RSI's (well not quite!)

If you wanna really save money and get teeency amounts more poke then take ur current panel filter out and dunk it in petrol for half an hour. Let it dry a bit, then bosh it back in and that'l have cleaned it all nicely.

THEN when ur mates ask: 'wow, whats that noise? what u done to it?' you can say: 'nothing, its just a beast!'

:D

LOL, ill keep that in mind fella, thanks,

I have still got my Old 1.2 Versailles Clio so i will have to try that little trick on that.

I dont care about f**king that one up

LOL

Cheers mate.

interesting topic this guys, tell me more as im just about to purchase a new filter but u guys have just stopped me in my tracks reading this topic

basically i was going to fit a fitler due to the power gains but obviously not with a valver, so can you tell me more about what is the best filter

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
JamesB said:
interestin g topic this guys, tgell me more as im just about to purchase a new filter but u guys have just stopped me in my tracks reading this topic

basically i was going to fit a fitler due to the power gains but obviously not with a valver, so can you tell me more about what is the best filter

Depends on ya motor mate, what clio ya got???

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
JamesB said:
mk1 phase 1 clio 16v same as you mate but on a 93 plate

james

Check the first post then mate!!!!

Your guess is as good as mine, im looking into changing my filter and a full service at the moment, so just check this post and we may be able to pick up a few tips from the others..

My next question was goin to be about the bext Spark Plugs???? So check that post if ya are interested.

Cheers fella.

Mint Clio Valver!
DON'T GET IT SERVICED AT RENAULT!
thats all i will say. They will talk you into believeing that its falling apart. They said i had to spend £2600 on mine to fix everything. So i took it to my local bloke with a few things on the list to do. He rang me up after 20mins and told me that whats renault said was 'Sheared, or split, or fucked (basically)' was slightly loose. so he tightened it all for me and i gave him a tenner. lol. The only thing they got right was that my road springs needed changing. fair cop, the car looked like it was sniffing the road like a dog on the beach.

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
phattboycoxy said:
thats all i will say. They will talk you into believeing that its falling apart. They said i had to spend £2600 on mine to fix everything. So i took it to my local bloke with a few things on the list to do. He rang me up after 20mins and told me that whats renault said was 'Sheared, or split, or f**ked (basically)' was slightly loose. so he tightened it all for me and i gave him a tenner. lol. The only thing they got right was that my road springs needed changing. fair cop, the car looked like it was sniffing the road like a dog on the beach.

LOL ok mate, thanks for that,

i dont think i would ever go to Renault for anything, unless it was the last resort and i could get it done nowhere else, which will never be the case.

Im doing the service myself, apart from the discs and pads which are being done by my mate. Just wanted a few pointers on the sought of parts to get for my full service????

Discs, Pads, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Oils, Spark Plugs. See what people recommend???

Cheers mate.

phattboycoxy said:
thats all i will say. They will talk you into believeing that its falling apart. They said i had to spend £2600 on mine to fix everything. So i took it to my local bloke with a few things on the list to do. He rang me up after 20mins and told me that whats renault said was 'Sheared, or split, or f**ked (basically)' was slightly loose. so he tightened it all for me and i gave him a tenner. lol. The only thing they got right was that my road springs needed changing. fair cop, the car looked like it was sniffing the road like a dog on the beach.

hi mate, thanks for the that info, but i will never let anybody else touch my except me. i have done everything on my cars over the years from servicing down to rebuilds

james

richierich16v said:
Discs, Pads, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Oils, Spark Plugs. See what people recommend???

Cheers mate.

sounds like me and you are on the same level mate, i have just done all this to my valver.

- i used mintex all round for my discs and pads along with dot 4 brake fluid
- i ALWAYS use genuine oil and fuel filters and im using shell helix 5w-40 fully synthetic (£4.77 a f**king litre :S)
- i replace my spark plugs with NGK from a local autofactor along with dizzy cap, rotor and leads

hope this helps mate

james

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
JamesB said:
sounds like me and you are on the same level mate, i have just done all this to my valver.

- i used mintex all round for my discs and pads along with dot 4 brake fluid
- i ALWAYS use genuine oil and fuel filters and im using shell helix 5w-40 fully synthetic (£4.77 a f**king litre :S)
- i replace my spark plugs with NGK from a local autofactor along with dizzy cap, rotor and leads

hope this helps mate

james

Where do ya live mate???

Meet up some time for a pint if ya fancy it, to discuss things???

ounds like me and you as ya say are in the same Ball Park.

Let me know fella

richierich16v said:
Where do ya live mate???

Meet up some time for a pint if ya fancy it, to discuss things???

ounds like me and you as ya say are in the same Ball Park.

Let me know fella

hi mate, i live in grimsby which is north east lincolnshire

we are definalty in the same boat, thast for sure lol

james

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
JamesB said:
hi mate, i live in grimsby which is north east lincolnshire

we are definalty in the same boat, thast for sure lol

james

Little too far away, im in essex,

You done anything eles on ya clio????

How much were the dizzy cap and ht leads when ya changed them???

Richie

richierich16v said:
Little too far away, im in essex,

You done anything eles on ya clio????

How much were the dizzy cap and ht leads when ya changed them???

Richie

oh dear, thats a bit to far for a quick bevvy or 2 lol

havnt done anything else as yet mate, only recently just bought it (got a bargain but needed a bit of work), i have basically give it a major major service (cambelt been done very soon) plugs,leads,rotor,oil and filter,new discs and pads all round, full undersealed et etc fixed a few probs like elec windows, dash bulbs and need to get column welded or buy already welded one.

the clio is completely standard except 40mm drop at front

when i bought my dizzy, leads, plugs and rotor i think it was about £45 inc vat

james

Tungy
I need a new air filter for my valver too fellas. Unfortunately standard airbox and panel filter is not an option as I do not have the standard air box. If these can be picked up fairly cheap I would consider it, otherwise a fairly decent, but not too expensive option?

yeah lets get back on track..... so it seems the best filter to get is an uprated panel filter or to clean the original filter

more opinions please guys

james

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
Bradharding said:
I need a new air filter for my valver too fellas. Unfortunately standard airbox and panel filter is not an option as I do not have the standard air box. If these can be picked up fairly cheap I would consider it, otherwise a fairly decent, but not too expensive option?

A fairly cheap option is a Powertec Filter. Can pick one up for a Clio 16v for a ton.

http://www.potn.co.uk/powertec_c5206_3850.htm

Hope thats any help to ya????

Richie

Clio 16v Mk1 Phase 1
Bradharding said:
Thanks Richie. Any noticeable gains? What do they sound like? etc. Also are the K&N 57i's any good or green cotton?

My mate had a Powertec fitted to his Clio Mk 2 1.6 and it sounded pretty good, he never noticed much of a power gain, low end torque was slightly better, but he installed his with an extra air feed from his front fog light hole, so maybe that may be the thing to do??

So im not to sure to be honest mate about what they will be like on a Proper Car LOL (the 16v) and im not to sure about the 57i or the greenie. never had any experience of them mate.

keep checking this post and someone may be able to help ya out???

Cheers Feall,

Richie