ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best full iPod/HDD solution?

Ph2 Clio 172
Hi all

I'm after some advice on head units and things to connect up my car. my aim is such:

To be able to have all my music (100GB or so) on a device in the car, and a headunit that can play it by searching through artists, albums, etc. Also to be able to use the stalk controls on my steering wheel (172FF) to control it. I would like it to look seemless (i.e. the iPod or other device is hidden away, not stuck in a cradle).

I have looked at using the Connects2 adapter to link an iPod to the stock head unit (Tuner List) but it seems a little limited in what it can do, and browsing through 100GB of music could prove difficult. I also dont think it displays any meaningfull track information on the stock radio screen.

What setups do people have? I am happy to change the head unit and buy adapters for the stalk controls and things too.

Any advice is welcome!

Many thanks!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
iPod classic and a compatible HU/connection solution.

Done.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Any recomendations for good HU's that allow me to use the stalk controls?

You have to buy an adaptor for the steering wheel controls mate.

By the way if you opt for the aux cable connection/radio transmitter you won't be able to control your i-pod using the steering controls, you'll be able to adjust the volume but not change the song, this is because the HU is acting as a "speaker" only.
So its basically just transmitting the sound of whatever your i-pod makes.

If you can get a decent HU (spend around £70) with a USB slot you can use that too, also you should be able to plug in your i-pod and it should charge simultaneously.

Luckily on clio's you don't require a fascia or harness, so you're saving £30 + straight away, I can't remember however if you'll need a female-to-male adaptor for the arial connection, if you do they cost about a fiver.

Ph2 Clio 172
Yeah, the stock HU is conviniently still the same standard aftermaket HU size.

I would want full control of the iPod/HDD from the HU atleast, but preferably the stalk. Im happy to buy an adapter to do it, as long as its not massively over priced.

Id like to just stash whatever device has the music on it in the glove box or out of the way somewhere, and use the HU to play all my music as if it was on a massive jukebox of CDs or something. The Aux solutions, as you say, are only acting as a speaker, and im not interested in that.

Ph1 - 172
http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk

have a look on there, they do dension kits that connect to the standard HU and allow control of the ipod from both stalk and HU. If you give the guys there an email they will be able to give you more details.

if your thinking about changing HU why not try http://www.audioassault.co.uk/Stereos/iPod_Ready_Stereos/Fusion_CA-iP500_iPod_stereo, It allows you to dock your ipod into the stereo keeping it out of site. it doesnt play cd's though but with an ipod i wouldnt have thought that would be a problem.

Ph2 Clio 172
cheers Bennett.

The trouble with the connectiosn to the stock HU are that im limited to the stock display, and most, if not all connectors will only show "TR 01" etc on the screen, which means while I could control it from the HU/stalk, I would still need to mount it so I can see it.

Something like the audio Assault HU looks like a better route. full controll with the iPod hidden out of the way.

Ph1 - 172
The problem skeeter is that the clios do not use a CAN bus system until the mk3 (sept 05) so there is no real way of displaying the full text on the screen, you may be better off with an aftermarket HU if you want total fuctinality with the ipod. Is there a reason that you dont want to use a cradle? you can get some really stylish brackets that cuase no damage to the dash, and fit in a nice discreet place. The fusion head unit is great, it can fit any model of ipod and is pretty strong for the price tag. With a stalk adapter you should be able to achieve most of the functionality through the stalk to.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/12981.html

I have an earlier version. I've not seen better ipod integration, the stereo behaves in exactly the same way as the pod.

Definitely recommend the Alpine Headunit. Alpine IDA X305 is the best for controlling the Ipod from the headunit. The navigation wheel and colour screen mean its like operating the Ipod.
I've had other Ipod headunits, and although some do display the song information, its hard to navigate throught the songs. It gets pretty tiresome if you have a lot of songs, continually pressing the 'next' song button and having to scroll through them individually.

Plus it charges the Ipod I think, and you can get stalk wiring adaptors to use your steering wheel stalk iirc. Not sure how well the stalk would work when navigating the ipod though.

Mk2 172
Put simply the best Ipod unit on the market is the Alpine X305s. The s means its been updated over the standard 305 to work better with the iphone 3Gs :)

Ph2 Clio 172
The problem skeeter is that the clios do not use a CAN bus system until the mk3 (sept 05) so there is no real way of displaying the full text on the screen, you may be better off with an aftermarket HU if you want total fuctinality with the ipod. Is there a reason that you dont want to use a cradle? you can get some really stylish brackets that cuase no damage to the dash, and fit in a nice discreet place. The fusion head unit is great, it can fit any model of ipod and is pretty strong for the price tag. With a stalk adapter you should be able to achieve most of the functionality through the stalk to.

2 reasons really, firstly I dont like having things stuck in cradles, they annoy me. I hev my phone on a cradle and it bugs me. And secondly, I dont yet own an iPod, and ones with broken screens etc sell for pennies on ebay, yet would work perfectly with a device that doesnt use the screen to control it. I think im going for a new HU and stalk adapter. Seems to offer the best setup.

DCi 100
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/12981.html

I have an earlier version. I've not seen better ipod integration, the stereo behaves in exactly the same way as the pod.

Pretty sure this is the one Bloor has, and his is so so easy to navigation and see in day and night time.

Mine is too dim to see in the day time, pretty much impossible to navigate around except just skipping through tracks, and bleeps randomly all the time! :dapprove: Just couldn't part with £250 for a headunit.

None
I think i have a similar set up to the one you are looking to get.....
sony cdx ipod ready H/U, this has the wire ready to hook up to the ipod so just run it to the glove box and leave it in there out of sight, it will charge the ipod and turn it on/off with the H/U.........and the best bit is you can get this H/U for about £80

Matt at Mtaudio will supply you with the stalk control adaptor but it only does the volume when using an ipod i think.
I have had several set ups before but this is the most hassle free way of using an ipod.
using the jack port(aux) on the front of a H/U is not really feasable day to day, no charging for one thing.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've got this Alpine http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/12541.html although there are cheaper versions without bluetooth.

I find it excellent with my 3GS, scroll through artist, album, playlist etc and then scroll through which song to start playing along with the usual shuffle/repeat album/artist/playlist and it charges too. Songs skip just as quick as on the device, names show up on screen and is very simple to use, very rarely ever look at the HU. iPod/iPhone cable is around the back so just feed it through to the glovebox if you want.

I find it doubly useful with iPhone satnav instructions that come nicely through the speakers either muting or lowering the volume of music.

I think this is the version without bluetooth http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/10496.html. I don't know what the differences are between these models and the X models so can't say whoch would be better.

Just beware if your planning on plugging in an ipod with loads of songs with headunits that only let you browse through the songs one at a time. Like you do with a CD.

If you have a playlist of say 20 songs, its fine.
If you have an ipod of say 100 songs, I found only being able to scroll through the songs one at a time (if I wanted to find a specific song say) very very annoying.

You can pick the Alpine ones up cheaper second hand. I got an IDA X100 for £150.

Last edited:
  Ibiza FR
Yeah, I would highly recommend the Alpine IDAX100, runs perfectly with my ipod.
Or If you have a higher budget, even one of the updated alpine models.

None
Cheers Ste666.

There are a fairly large selection of Sony HU's, which model do you have?

Hello mate, i have the Sony CDXGT45IP iPod In Car CD Radio, argos are doing it now for £74.99 reduced from £130.00........never had an alpine but i know the sony one works fine for me and i have had it in for nearly a year now, it even has sub out on the back for if you ever want to upgrade, just means you can control any bass directly from the sub level on the H/U.

I agree with JAMES28 that it is a pain to find a specific song but i put all mine into playlists anyway so they are easy to find.

Ph2 Clio 172
I tend to listen to music in Albums, so never really going to have a list of songs longer than about 20.

I will look at the Alpine HUs as well as the Sonys. Do they both have the iPod connection out of the back, so I can hide the iPod in the Glovebox and it doesnt look like its anything other than a HU?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've had 2 Sony HU and an Alpine and I think my Alpine sounds better, in the same car same speakers. Although Sony are great value IMO.

My Alpine iPod lead is on the back, I think most are TBH. Usually only aux and sometimes USB on the front.

None
I tend to listen to music in Albums, so never really going to have a list of songs longer than about 20.

I will look at the Alpine HUs as well as the Sonys. Do they both have the iPod connection out of the back, so I can hide the iPod in the Glovebox and it doesnt look like its anything other than a HU?

I know the sony one does, just remember whichever one you get make sure it has the ipod logo on it or it may be just a usb adaptor connection.

Ph2 Clio 172
Cool. Cheers guys.

My Birthday soon, so will see about getting one then.

I will drop MT Audio a PM when I decide on a model about stalk adapters, he seems to know his stuff.