ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best lens to get

Honda & VW
Bought a Sony Alpha 200 last year after pondering on which camera and how much to spend for ages.
Ended up going for an 'Entry Level' DSLR mainly due to the price as i have a habit of losing interest in things so didn't really want to waste loads of money.

But 1 year on i love taking photo's and am learning more and more about all the technical talk etc.

The lens it came with is a Sony 18-70mm so not great zoom by any stretch of the imagination. I'd like a lens with a better zoom but equally i'd like a wide angle lens.
As i can't afford both and to be honest i'd not really be looking to spend much more than £200 max i'm wondering whats best to get.

Basically to take photo's of my car and also for track days (as a spectator).

any suggestions?

thanks

Well do you want to take pics of stationary cars or track cars?

Stationary is wide. Track is zoom.

But tbh, I'd sell it and get a Nikon/Canon.

Honda & VW
Well do you want to take pics of stationary cars or track cars?

Stationary is wide. Track is zoom.

But tbh, I'd sell it and get a Nikon/Canon.

Part of me wishes i had gone Nikon but i'm more than happy with the camera considering the price and cant really afford to upgrade the camera.

oh and would probably swap more towards stationary

Honestly, use the money for a lens to buy one.

You'll always be hampered with a Sony. Your lens choices are seriously shot.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Thought you could fit any minolta on there, giving a huge back catalogue of lens' to choose from.

Saying that so did my Samsung and the selection was still poor and expensive for decent stuff.

Oil Burner
Theres a few Sigma lenses that some of the guys rate quite highly. the 70-300 dg? i believe? These are sub £200

I will stick by Sony as ever and say they make quality products, and their entry level are better than Nikon (assuming the entry model Nikons still require the lenses with the inboard AF?)

Sony has all the AF Minolta lenses plus almost every sigma range as well as their own (slightly over priced) range of lenses.

Last edited:
  Honda & VW

Thanks for your opinion but I have to disagree, as like others have mentioned there are stacks of lenses available from Minolta and sigma plus others.

I'm not looking to change the Body, just want to upgrade the lens.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Dan's point is though that the range is much more limited as I can go out and buy any Canon EF lens second hand, and he can go out and buy any Nikon AF lens second hand, and it'd work. You've got to buy new glass from Sony or Sigma or if you're lucky and someone hasn't already snapped them up, one of the dwindling number of Minolta lenses going.

It's why I went back to Canon. Didn't get on with Nikon, liked the Sony but the lens choice was limited in comparison.

However, to answer your question, go and try a few. There's no 'best lens to get' as everyone has a preference plus it depends on what you want to do.

Honda & VW
Dan's point is though that the range is much more limited as I can go out and buy any Canon EF lens second hand, and he can go out and buy any Nikon AF lens second hand, and it'd work. You've got to buy new glass from Sony or Sigma or if you're lucky and someone hasn't already snapped them up, one of the dwindling number of Minolta lenses going.

It's why I went back to Canon. Didn't get on with Nikon, liked the Sony but the lens choice was limited in comparison.

However, to answer your question, go and try a few. There's no 'best lens to get' as everyone has a preference plus it depends on what you want to do.

Thanks Mike, however are you feeling ok as i didn't read anywhere in that how well off you were? lol

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'll see your excellent lens and raise you a

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...s/Zoom_Lenses/EF-S_17-55_f28_IS_USM/index.asp

and a

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...nses/Zoom_Lenses/EF_2470mm_f28L_USM/index.asp

oh and one of these for good measure;)

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro.../Zoom_Lenses/EF-S_10-22mm_f-3.5-4.5/index.asp

pauper!!

anyway, regarding the sony camera, when i saw the range of sony lens's they were vast, not a small selection by any means, seemed to have most options covered, plus the cameras have built in IS don't they (not sure if the 200 does). I do like to laugh when people say sell it and buy a canon or nikon, theres nothing wrong with owning a sony, very well specced product for the price.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I <3 it when you talk dirty to me David. At least I have the comfort of the knowledge that mine's bigger. x

Better than yours. C*nt.
Maybe rather than trying to argue with everyone and put down everyone's purchases, if you read the original post you'd have the answer. ;)

Oil Burner
Maybe rather than trying to argue with everyone and put down everyone's purchases, if you read the original post you'd have the answer. ;)

I think he was actually trying to support Sony in his previous post?

Vibro, The OP stated £200

not arguing but correcting and incorrect statement. there are plenty of lenses that fit the sony system for the majority of people. yes they don't have any super teles or tiltshift lenses but I don't the OP is going to be able to afford those.

your 18-70 while not the best lens in the world is more than suitable for taking decent pictures of your car and day to day snaps. it has a pretty good range on it so I'd think about getting a zoom lens. The obvious choice would be the Sony 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 DT which is £170 from Jacobs using the discount Code JAN12 http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=14728 and sony have £50 cash back on the lens too

Last edited:
  Honda & VW
not arguing but correcting and incorrect statement. there are plenty of lenses that fit the sony system for the majority of people. yes they don't have any super teles or tiltshift lenses but I don't the OP is going to be able to afford those.

your 18-70 while not the best lens in the world is more than suitable for taking decent pictures of your car and day to day snaps. it has a pretty good range on it so I'd think about getting a zoom lens. The obvious choice would be the Sony 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 DT which is £170 from Jacobs using the discount Code JAN12 http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=14728 and sony have £50 cash back on the lens too

Thanks Vibrator, oops sorry Vibrio - that seems a good price.