ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best machine polisher for a beginner?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Guys,

What's the best polisher for a beginner? I'm not new to detailing but up until now have only ever done all the work by hand. After a holiday away driving down country lanes and the car being attacked by a peacock the other half's scenic could do with some proper correction (its about time I got one anyway tbh)

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
TBH dependant on how much you intend to use it, you could always go for the standard DAS-6 and save yourself some money for more pads / compounds.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Cheers Gally, I'll take a look at those. I'll be using it a fair bit I imagine once I get used to it.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
I've been wanting one for a while but money goes on other stuff too, I can't wait to get one, I was also looking at the DAS

Flame Red Delight
If your on a tight budget then I would look in the detailing world for sale section and have a look out for porter cables, ultimate detailing machine etc. Second hand ones come up cheap and do the job just as well as the das-6 IMO.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
What about the Meguiars G220 V2?

It will be used for my Mercedes and the GF's Renault Scenic mainly but will probably end up doing other cars.

Not a 320d
Well itll be no different, and ive broken 4 G220's (Yes 4) so im not overly keen on them.

Das6 Pro has more bite if you want to spend the extra.

Rotary is ok its just easier to f**k things up. Ive said it before, its not burning through paint thats a problem, its taking the edges off paint. Warping pannels. Pad jumping. Its not some devilish machine but itll do all of what ive mentioned if you dont do it properly. I think the DA has more lee way, a lot of it too.

Merc paintwork is a lot harder than renault, so youll find curring through heavier swirls is going to take more hits and more time.

I went with a DA (G220) first time round. With hindsight, this is probably the best idea.

Im sorry to put these questions in your head. DA will be fine, but if IF you need to do heavy correcting work on your merc, youll wish you had a rotary. Its fine for a spruce up though.

Just go with the DA. Then if you deceide later you want a rotary then ok.

Seat Ibiza
I have been looking at the DAS-6 Pro for a while debating to get it or not. Basically, I do a little bit of buying and selling cheap cars, so perfect for practicing :) I have a Clio, and the paint isn't bad, but my missus has a 2003 Ibiza with more light scratches and swirls than a banger car. Would the DAS-6 be alright for me or will it not cut the paintwork on the Seat?
I've always wanted to be able to be able to detail properly, would this kit along with the Menzerna polishes be okay for first time, or will I need better cutting polishes and differenent pads?
Sorry for the 21 noob questions...