ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Honda FN2 machine polish - beginner

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Black FN2 detail - machine polish
Ok, so I didn't want a black car as it's a pig for keeping clean and showing up scratches. But as it had an LSD I ended up getting a Crystal pearl black FN2.

I've cleaned it a few times by hand and used glazes, polishes and all that jazz and it looks massively better - but still a lot of swirls and cobwebs, so I've invested in a DAS6 pro machine polisher, with hex logic Green/orange/black pads and 3x menzerna compound of varying stages.

Has anyone used the same kit and can give me some total newbie pointers? Are any of those pads too overkill for (apparently) soft Honda paint - thanks.

Assuming I wash, clay (again), dry then go balls out with the machine polisher (using a youtube vid for guides as to what 'route' to use for the machining)? Do you just apply dabs of the compound to dry pads and apply?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Read the machine polishing sticky in here, specifically the zenith technique.

And start with the least abrasive polish/pad combo you have. I’ve removed swirls and scratches from Honda paint with triple and a finishing pad!

Wash, decontaminate, clay if need be (I’d avoid on Honda paint), tape up then polish.

Wet the pad, pad prime or water via spray bottle then apply polish. Work the polish into the pad then add 3-4 blogs of polish before working on the car

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Read the machine polishing sticky in here, specifically the zenith technique.

And start with the least abrasive polish/pad combo you have. I’ve removed swirls and scratches from Honda paint with triple and a finishing pad!

Wash, decontaminate, clay if need be (I’d avoid on Honda paint), tape up then polish.

Wet the pad, pad prime or water via spray bottle then apply polish. Work the polish into the pad then add 3-4 blogs of polish before working on the car
Should've known just to ask you. Ta, will have a read of the sticky. Probably wait til a bit later in the year when we have more light outside but I'm itching to do it!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Should've known just to ask you. Ta, will have a read of the sticky. Probably wait til a bit later in the year when we have more light outside but I'm itching to do it!

Lol any questions just fire away. Do you still have my number?

Yeah, I wouldn’t be doing it any time soon. Faaaar too cold.

Oh!
Oh!

You could even try a ‘single stage correction’ using car pro essence. It’s an epic product. Lays a semi permanent base to be topped with reload or cquk. Reload being the easier option.

I know your car is black and not blue, but this is essence and reload (amongst other things to cut silly bmw paint)

7E6950B5-44A9-4F76-8D0F-A11ADCA571B3.jpeg
0950F155-50DA-4636-B580-557F98562785.jpeg
76F04288-331E-4C38-BD16-E0ADBFDA5448.jpeg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Prime the pad properly, which means not just 3-4 blobs of polish.

You need to have a thin even coverage of polish over the entire pad.

Once it's primed, then you only need 3-4 blobs of polish per panel area.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Lol any questions just fire away. Do you still have my number?

Yeah, I wouldn’t be doing it any time soon. Faaaar too cold.

Oh!
Oh!

You could even try a ‘single stage correction’ using car pro essence. It’s an epic product. Lays a semi permanent base to be topped with reload or cquk. Reload being the easier option.

I know your car is black and not blue, but this is essence and reload (amongst other things to cut silly bmw paint)

View attachment 1357538 View attachment 1357539 View attachment 1357540
An all in one would be much better suited for me! Nice one

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
An all in one would be much better suited for me! Nice one
Carpro essence it is then mate.

You can use it with a orange polishing pad and finish with a white gloss pad. Carpro also sell the pads to use with it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
As well as claying i'd suggest an iron fallout remover and also a tar remover.

You might not see it on black, but it'll be there.

I quite like the Gyeon stuff myself, but it's all similar really.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy

Yep, got those two already. The clay I have is only synthetic too which is probably less risky and better for me.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

I have Gyeon wet coat (iirc). The guys at cyc said they didn’t have reload in but the wet coat is the same product. To be fair. It looks, smells and goes on the same lol