ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best non semi slick tyre for tracks??

clio 172 cup
Hi all, i'm after some tyres for travk days and dont want to go mad to begin with. Not bothering with semi-slicks just yet. So which tyre is best do you find? T1r's, pilot sport 3's??? These will be for the 16 inch cup wheels. Thanks.

RenaultSport 172
I'd go for Yoko AD08. They are a bit track focused and you'll get plenty of use out of a set

clio 172 cup
I thought the ad08's were semi slicks and theyre about £120 a corner. Was thinking around the conti sport 3's for starters.

PH2 172
Hi all, i'm after some tyres for travk days and dont want to go mad to begin with. Not bothering with semi-slicks just yet. So which tyre is best do you find? T1r's, pilot sport 3's??? These will be for the 16 inch cup wheels. Thanks.

The PS3 are great wet or dry,though quite expensive.Dont run them at 30psi hot though,you will wear the manufacturers name off the sidewall.
T1R`s will get you change out of £200,though I have no personal experience of them.

Clio 172 phase 1
Im going to try the ns2r they seem to get loads of good reviews :) but the pricve of them on cam skill has risen to £75 so very tempted to go ado8 or even federal rsr :) ....its one of thoes things youve just gotta try

Van
I say just go for the best E-marked semi slick's you can afford, as after half a hot lap on full road tyres you will just wish you had more grip anyway.

172 Track Car
I rate the R1R's . really good in wet so you can just have one set of wheels with you at a trackday

+1 for Toyo R1r tyres.

We use them as wets/inters on the track car and I run them on my daily. They come with a minimum temp warning, -10C I think so I run winter tyres as well just to be safe. They just do everything I want them to do, very resistant to aqua planing both in a straight line and round bends.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Get any decent road tyre, find the limit of grip and then try and get some consistency lap after lap and hone your skills instead of resorting to semi-slicks so you can attempt to chase the first thing that overtakes you. You soon run out of grip with the semi-slicks and then want to mod the suspension and fit a roll bar because the extra grip means more roll and then you start to cook the brakes and so on.

Semi-slicks are fun but not essential on track.

Also when it rains you won't be overtaken by a bog standard mid spec Astra GTC like many were at my last track day.

clio 172 cup
Ok, thanks everyone for the replies. Had a look at all sorts of reviews, seems like you can look for weeks n weeks n weeks. Spoke to the garage and the best tyre they can get in this size that i've seen good things about dry and wet are the conti sport contact 3's. Happy with the price so gunna see how we go. Obviously going to b changing tyrex regularly so theres loads of yime to try all sorts.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Conti sport contacts will melt fairy quickly on a dry track. I'm running AD08s which stand up much better to track work. They are great in the wet too, I easily passed a race spec 182 that had T1Rs on.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Conti's only melt if you make them. Just because the limit of road tyres is easier to find doesn't mean you have to constantly be on or over it. I made a right mess of a set of A048's in just 4 seperate laps at a sprint in a Honda CRX.

What would the people on this forum do if they had to use a road spec control tyre at track days.

Tyres last as long as the driver wants them to.

When you feel them start to go back off and try and keep it tidy.

I'll be doing 6 days this year with two drivers in my Cup on a set of CS3's.

Track days aren't a race so who cares what anyone else is doing. I was annoyed at myself last track day for getting sucked into a little duel instead of carrying on my trail braking practice. Wasted session that was.

Last edited:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
105 quid a tyre for AD08's before fitting on camskill. Christ! They should be good at that price. Out of my price range these days for sure. I like the way the Cup feels on 195/45/16 road rubber too much anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like RSR as a cheaper tyre that is a good all rounder.

Not as grippy as a 888 etc though of course.

I've done a track day on CS3's and they are fine for a few laps but soon get too hot and begin to melt. Hence why I've just bought some RSR's after some discussion on here, looking forward to testing them out shortly.

172 Cup
Ive just ordered a set of rsr's at £53 per tyre I cant really complain. Looking forward to seeing how they compare to the ad08s I had previously.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Ive just ordered a set of rsr's at £53 per tyre I cant really complain. Looking forward to seeing how they compare to the ad08s I had previously.

That's a bargain. The Federal RSRs weren't that cheap when I ordered so I went for the AD08s (they also have deeper tread from new). Would be interested to hear a comparison.

In 16"? If so please PM me as the cheapest I've found is £70 and was about to order

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I chased a 1 up Cooper works with a driver with a similar skill set to mine on semi-slicks for 6 laps of a dry Combe (last session of the day) in my standard Cup 2 up with CS3'S on. I was using every bit of useful grip the tyres had. I finally gave up when my extra weight and lack of traction against the track day tyres meant the mini was starting to pull away and I ran wide out of the esses ruining any chance of using my better run down the back of the circuit and my practice efforts at trail braking to claw the gap back. The tyres had some minor tread build up when I got back. I've seen far worse on A048's chasing things in a similar way. This is why this year I'm concentrating on skills. On tracks I know if I get sucked in then no tyre is gonna last the day. If the weather in this country was better I would definitely consider the RSR's. Been amazed by good road tyres grip and predictability in the wet. Not in hurry to give that up for a bit of extra grip in the dry.

195/45/16 on standard pressures. I'm not saying don't buy AD08's or RSR's etc just don't right off road tyres until you know how you'll drive on track. The Clios are pretty light and easier on tyres than some cars I've driven.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 (CUP)
I've done a track day on CS3's and they are fine for a few laps but soon get too hot and begin to melt. Hence why I've just bought some RSR's after some discussion on here, looking forward to testing them out shortly.
How did you get on with the 595 RSR's? I can't ignore the price of these.

Clio 172 (CUP)
I've not done a track day yet, booked in for the 26th of October. But from just road driving they seem really grippy and up to now I've not found the limit of them on a road...
Good to know, thanks. I'll wear our my Uniroyal's first then consider the rsr's.

Clio182cup Nova2.0SR
I thoroughly recommend ad08r's have a set of 4 on my 182, sidewall stiffness is amazing, they truly transform the car. I had Dunlop sp sport maxx previously which were squirming around after a few laps and the car had significantly more understeer than with the yoko's. and they overheat terribly on track.

in my opinion, the clio is a budget hot hatch, make the most of it and buy the best tyre you can, ao48r's cost far too much and the compromise is too far for the road, the tread depth is low from new and I will replace them when they wear out with ad08r's, as they can be pushed in the wet too.

on my track nova I have the ao48r's and whilst they are great on track and in the dry id never use them every day on the road.

buy a pair if ad08r's for the front, see how good they are then buy the ones for the back. You will NOT regret it.