ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Oil for a 16v

Hi ppl,

I know this has been covered before, but i cant find the thread. Basically i checked the oil level today and was shocked to find it is just under min !

I need to drain it all, and replace the filter, but i cant remember what oil i had last time cos i didnt do it.

Is it just 10w/40w semi synth for a car thats done 90k ? Any recommendations on the best to use ?

And if anyone knows, what does the 2 figures mean again ? viscosity before and after temp change or summat ?

Thnx ppl

I would say a Mobil 15w 50 or any 10w 60,the number before w is how thin is the oil at cold engine(the lower the thinner the oil at cold temps).The other num eg 50 shows its quality to lubricate engine parts at high temps(doesnt get too thin like water=useless).When an engine is quite worn out the gaps where oil circulates are great so the oil does nt need to be very thin but it needs a high grade at high temps otherwise you burn it out a lot,40 according to me is abit low,go for 50 or 60.If the engine was new Id advice you other.Hope I was clear&of help to you

Skoda Fabia vRS

i wouldnt use that in a 172, its too thick

im stickin some Silkolene Pro R in my RT tomorrow, will hit 82k in the next day or too

for a 90k car id say go for a 15W-50, i wudnt go lower

Mobil 1 M/Sport is definitely a good oil, but i think its over priced, its like £35 for 4L, this Silkolene i use is £35 for 5L and is just as good

Clio 1.8 16v

What would you put in a clio 16v if it has done 60000miles?and also any advice on what gear box oil i should use?

Skoda Fabia vRS

if its done 60 id use a 10W-50 for winter but a 15W-50 for summer

i know mines an RT so it may be different with the 16v as it gets so hot, but my car didnt like Mobil 1 M/Sport in the winter

ive done the oil change today with Silkolene Pro R 15W-50

its a fully synthetic racing oil with a high ester content

its red too

you wont go wrong with Mobil 1 M/Sport in a 16v, its definitely a good oil, jus personally i think the Silkolene is better and cheaper