ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best performance mods for 172?

clio 182
Car already has a 182 manifold, and a performance exhaust, was thinking next best thing would be a new induction kit? anything else?

Induction kit sounds good but makes no discernible difference to performance or power. You need cams or turbo to see any meaningful gains on an F4R.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Suspension upgrades and/or refresh of bushes etc.
A good service to bring it back to "100%".
Possibly new brake discs and pads.

Bigger engine mods is the last thing I would do, and will be done last on mine after it is mechancially sounds and handles better.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Suspension upgrades and/or refresh of bushes etc.
A good service to bring it back to "100%".
Possibly new brake discs and pads.

Bigger engine mods is the last thing I would do, and will be done last on mine after it is mechancially sounds and handles better.
This...

I'm not sure I really need more power and my car is for track only. The corners are the fun bit for me rather than chasing cars up the straights.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Quaife diff is the best mod for these by far! Much better than suspention/cams or itb’s. Can also get the box looked at at the same time.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly, the best thing I ever did to mine was put a 300mm steering wheel in it. Probably bigger difference doing that than when I did ITBs/cams
f**king loved the go-kart wheel on mine.

But yeah, grippy rubber and good pads is a good start. I’ll assume you have those already, though.

An induction kit will get you little to no power, but I went with TheFatty’s setup and it sounded very, very nice.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Ditch the HPAS for EPAS, Decat, ktec style intake, RSTuner 98ron map, that along with the 182 manifold and matched inlets is the spec I'm running on the van and it tears through the revs like no other 172/182 ive owned!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Quaife diff is the best mod for these by far! Much better than suspention/cams or itb’s. Can also get the box looked at at the same time.
my brother said the Quaife diff in his old 106 was the best thing he ever did to it, and that had an epic engine in too - was a 1.6ltr race prepped engine with lairy cams an ITB's. That car could scare most things off the line and around a track (top speed wasn't its thing but I think he maxed it at 156mph on an Autobahn until I random confused his sat nav and beat that doing over 300mph in my Skoda Felica once, he was well annoyed. How it tripped that speed I dont know. I took a picture of it as well, I'll see if I still have it). Keeps telling me I should get one in the Clio and an lsd in the E34, he obviously thinks I have a bigger disposable income than I actually do.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
my brother said the Quaife diff in his old 106 was the best thing he ever did to it, and that had an epic engine in too - was a 1.6ltr race prepped engine with lairy cams an ITB's. That car could scare most things off the line and around a track (top speed wasn't its thing but I think he maxed it at 156mph on an Autobahn until I random confused his sat nav and beat that doing over 300mph in my Skoda Felica once, he was well annoyed. How it tripped that speed I dont know. I took a picture of it as well, I'll see if I still have it). Keeps telling me I should get one in the Clio and an lsd in the E34, he obviously thinks I have a bigger disposable income than I actually do.

At least there are factory option for the E34!

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Suspension/brake refresh and if it’s due belts go to group n cam timing with a remap, transforms the midrange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk