ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best place to buy an alternator? One which doesn't catch fire

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just set off for my MOT - first time driving the car since bolting it all back together.

Power steering pump sounded a little noisy, nothing major.

Got petrol, and while leaving the petrol station the battery light came on, arse - straight home. Half way there smoke is pouring out the bonnet. Engine off doesn't fix it.... no tools.

Got home, pulled battery lead off the car, measuring 0.7ohms across cables, several hundred with alternator disconnected.... so alternator is a hard short.... b****cks.

So - any good recommendations for a good alternator at reasonable money? Euro's are overnight delivery and £180 for a dubious brand, or over £200 for a Lucas....

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
and Lucas isn't a dubious brand?

Nowhere local that refurbishes them? Often the ones from Euro are exchange anyway, so they've been refurbished as well.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I got one from @renaultpartsdirect the other month. Wasn't cheap but I'd rather pay someone I can easily send it back to if it was wrong or broke than messing around with ebay sellers. Sod sending the old one back for £20 though, cost that to post it.

And mine died on the way to the MOT too! 🤬

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers all.

I had a good hunt about and just bought this:

I think this is probably from Renault Wolverhamton. I would have bought from RCP but their website is down for maintenance grrr. My father did point out that its likely just the diode pack which is £20 etcetc. I'll keep my old one as a spare and try to ignore the large money pit my car is.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Cheers all.

I had a good hunt about and just bought this:

I think this is probably from Renault Wolverhamton. I would have bought from RCP but their website is down for maintenance grrr. My father did point out that its likely just the diode pack which is £20 etcetc. I'll keep my old one as a spare and try to ignore the large money pit my car is.

Yeah that is Renault Wolverhampton, always good service from them.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to drag this up again, it’s Sunday so before I ring around everywhere tomorrow. What are the current Alternator supplier du jour? The part number on mine is renault 7711134267 it looks to be the original Valero unit. RPD want £270 iirc which seems a little strong. I have fired off some emails to the loca alternator refurbishment business. Otherwise it looks to be a questionable exchange unit from ECP.

i f**king hate this car sometimes

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Rpd. After my starter episode with ecp I wouldn't bother with their refurbished s**t. I got one from rpd the other year and yes it's expensive and the £20 exchange for your dead one probably won't cover the postage but their quality control is far better than ecp's.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Sorry to drag this up again, it’s Sunday so before I ring around everywhere tomorrow. What are the current Alternator supplier du jour? The part number on mine is renault 7711134267 it looks to be the original Valero unit. RPD want £270 iirc which seems a little strong. I have fired off some emails to the loca alternator refurbishment business. Otherwise it looks to be a questionable exchange unit from ECP.

I bought the same part number you have quoted from my local dealer. Yes, they are expensive but at least you know they will fit & work straight away.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member

A bit cheaper on Autodoc for a Valeo unit, assume that's exactly the same as the one in a Renault box RPD would sell you.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
A bit cheaper on Autodoc for a Valeo unit, assume that's exactly the same as the one in a Renault box RPD would sell you.
Trouble is AUTODOC send you out whatever the f**k they have in stock. With some bullshitty excuse about upgrading you. If I could guarantee it’s a valeo unit it looks set to be the cheapest.

Anyone know or have a contact at Renault Wolverhampton? Didn’t they used to hammer out a decent deal!?

I just checked and I can replace the alternator on my Mercedes for £100 less than I can my clio. 🤷🏻‍♂️