ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's SG 172

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Had some bad news last week finding out my Liquid Yellow R26 needs an engine rebuild http://www.cliosport.net/threads/tims-ly-r26-forged-engine-build.636882/

As the R26 is going to be off the road for a while and I've got a Nurburgring trip in April I decided to buy another car to use.

I spotted this 172 being sold by Faxo in the for sale section and after reading up on it's history decided to buy it.
D1688B95-ACD4-4CE6-AA42-175B187E7D2E_zpsljszxsuz.jpg

It's had a full glass out respray but there were issues with a noisy dephaser and the front subframe. Faxo fixed those issues with a cambelt and dephaser change, and a replacement subframe and wishbones. He's also replaced the alternator, dampers, rear brakes etc so car is now good mechanically.

We agreed a price Wednesday morning and I got the train up to Huddersfield that afternoon to view the car. Arrived at 6.15pm and was met at the station by Faxo in his new Golf R and taken to view the car.

IMG_7613_zpsh0jah4jd.jpg

I was quite pleased with condition of the paintwork, and it drove well so handed over the cash after going through the paperwork. The drive home was good but tiring with the 50mph cameras on M1 so I didn't get home till gone midnight after stopping for petrol etc.

Spec of the car is as follows:

Storm Grey respray
Ktec stealth exhaust
Cup alternator setup
Rear wiper delete
Cooksport springs
Cup wishbones
182 alloys powdercoated black
Black headlining
Carbon wrapped dash strips, steering wheel and gear stick inserts

On Saturday I popped to Renault for an air filter and ended up buying 6l engine oil, oil filter and 3l transmission fluid. I'm going to do all the mechanics on this myself so might as well start with a service.

I knew it had a K&N panel filter so bought the paper filter to go in while I clean the K&N. According to the K&N website it doesn't need cleaning but I'm going to anyway.

IMG_7626_zpss3r3oewe.jpg

IMG_7628_zpsd3zo4m05.jpg

Then I was going to change the engine and gearbox oil but I discovered while under the car that you need an 8mm square sump plug key. The square end on a ratchet doesn't work so it was a piss poor attempt at a service lol

Here are a few photos:

IMG_7621_zpstjsmtjjc.jpg

Think I'll get strut tops painted black.
IMG_7620_zpsg0u2u0ui.jpg

Inlet and fuel rail guard will be repainted in either black again or anthracite.
IMG_7622_zpsbjrastv6.jpg

IMG_7666_zpsbd5y9i1x.jpg

Black headlining
IMG_7667_zpstugxvdct.jpg

Carbon wrapped dash strips etc
IMG_7670_zpsx85vtssg.jpg

Today I set about cleaning it as it was filthy after the drive back home and with having no rear wiper visibility is poor when it's dirty.

I usually snow foam but it wasn't really needed so washed it using Meguiars Gold Class shampoo and following products.
IMG_7658_zpsahqbizmy.jpg

Here's the end result.
IMG_7672_zpsvns4daem.jpg

IMG_7661_zpsyfda7l6l.jpg

IMG_7643_zpsdyurqqsh.jpg

IMG_7662_zpsdmo7lwsm.jpg

IMG_7664_zpsdpebw0wm.jpg

I'm very happy with the paint work as it's really smooth and feels like glass. There's a few stone chips as you would expect but nothing that can't easily be touched.

Plans for it are:

Fit bullets and dash strips I've bought from Simon at Sprayshack.
6226FB3E-77A9-4626-B056-60DB449153A2_zps62ic4ocg.jpg

A8E61343-608E-4E6E-8A36-EF52CBBB766C_zps28h2woky.jpg

Anthracite 15" OZ F1 or 2118 alloys
R888 or AD08R tyres
DS2500 front and rear brake pads
Goodridge brake lines
ATE Super Blue brake fluid
Eibach camber bolts
Vibratechnic engine mounts
Renaultsport badge for the boot (previous not latest version)

Then it'll be ready for the Ring trip :smile:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I like this a lot, shame about the meg but this looks like a nice distraction!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wondered what the text was about!!

I'll tell Sam you're copying him. ;-)

Good work atouba. X

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Red.

Red wheels. Not amphashite.

Looks lovely.

It's hard work finding a set of 15" alloys, never mind being in the colour you want!

Plans sound good. Are you going to have time to get all of that done before the 'Ring trip then?

I should have time as there's still two weekends to go. I was going to ask if you and @Christopher. could help.

Last edited:

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Wish I was taking the car to the ring, however I think the next month is going to be spent repairing it.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I am rolling in an A4 now lol! Tempted but I don't trust it. I am gonna book to go away with the mrs instead I think, I was tempted to passanger but I will just give it a miss and come out next year.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I could be tempted to part with my mint pro race 1.2s with AD08R for the right money.

Car looks great in Storm Grey, I followed Faxos thread so I know you got a good car.

Also consider some better pads for the front like RC5+, RC6 or DS3000.

320d
As above I'd get CL pads. I currently run 2500's and whilst they do give good braking once warm, they leave deposits on your disks.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I could be tempted to part with my mint pro race 1.2s with AD08R for the right money.

Car looks great in Storm Grey, I followed Faxos thread so I know you got a good car.

Also consider some better pads for the front like RC5+, RC6 or DS3000.

PM some details.

Trouble with those pads is they ruin paintwork so going to stick with DS2500.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
As above I'd get CL pads. I currently run 2500's and whilst they do give good braking once warm, they leave deposits on your disks.

I've never had that issue with DS2500 on my Monaco 172 or R26. How did you bed them in?

They have always been great from cold as well.

320d
I just did several big stops and allowed them time to cool in between.

As I say they work fine but I seem to be getting the deposits people talk of on the disks after three track days. @JamesBryan changed to CL RC5+ and much prefers them.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
PM some details.

Trouble with those pads is they ruin paintwork so going to stick with DS2500.
Will do :)

RC5+ don't and are a much better pad than the DS2500. The DS3000 and RC6 do though. I'll personally never use DS2500 again after they glazed at Oulton, they would fade for me on the road too.

The RC5+ have a wider operating temperature, better brake coefficient and easier to clean dust.

RB 182
Nice car that ;)

I changed the gearbox oil less than 2000miles ago, using genuine Renault stuff, and I literally did an oil an filter change an hour before you picked it up!

I'll watch this thread with interest, seems you have good intentions to do the stuff I probably should've done! Gutted your replacing the dash strips, they took me a whole 5 minutes to do!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I just did several big stops and allowed them time to cool in between.

As I say they work fine but I seem to be getting the deposits people talk of on the disks after three track days. @JamesBryan changed to CL RC5+ and much prefers them.

Yeah, the RC5+'s are the best I've had up to now. With Ferodo you will always get deposits no matter what, because they are an organic compound which relies on material transfer to the disc. CL's require no bedding as they don't have the same material transfer to the disc with them being sintered metallic.

The RC5+ dust isn't bad at all either. In fact my rear pads which are OEM Renault have the same amount of dust as the fronts! I was surprised!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I've been busy buying stuff this week.

Speedline 2118 in anthracite
Sprayshack carbon bullets and dash strips
Eibach camber bolts
Goodridge brake lines
Brembo HC discs (as they were only £35 from Kam Racing)

Getting DS2500 front pads from Chris and then just need a set of AD08R tyres or similar.

Debating whether to bother with the Vibratechnics or not as the standard mounts seem in good condition.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I'm still quite happy with my purchase of the Storm Grey 172 and the parts I've bought have started to turn up.

First to arrive were the bullets, dash strips and storm grey paint from SprayShack.

IMG_7685_zpsjhrbdo8z.jpg

IMG_7681_zpsba0zuruw.gif

They came really well packaged and look amazing so really pleased. I'd definitely recommend Sprayshack and I'll be getting the gear stick and steering wheel inserts done to match.

Carbon dipped dash trim
IMG_7687_zpskuwytwcv.jpg

Then on Saturday my Speedline 2118's were delivered :cool:

IMG_7694_zpskou1djww.jpg

IMG_7698_zpsyqxj0p9h.jpg

Today I spent the afternoon washing the 172 and fitting the bullets.

Carbon dipped bullets
IMG_7810_zpspr8d4dru.jpg

I think they look much better than the old plain black bullets.
IMG_7811_zpstdtlwasq.jpg

Then I started touching up some of the stone chips and set about protecting the 2118's.

I decontaminated using AF Iron Out (which didn't react at all), clay, polish and a wipe down. Then applied 22PLE VM1 Rim and Metal Coating to the front and back.
IMG_7812_zpsdso74rh7.jpg

I've used this on the R26 alloys as well so 20ml goes a long way considering it's done two sets of wheels with a third still left.

Finished result :smiley:
IMG_7814_zpsue0jqnxk.jpg

Now they're stacked up in the garage waiting for the AD08R's to arrive.
IMG_7702_zps0tru8fpw.jpg

Parcelforce were supposed to deliver the Brembo HC's, Goodridge lines and camber bolts on Saturday but they didn't tun up so that's a job for next weekend now.

Then on the Friday 17th I'm off to the Ring with Fletch and Chris which I'm looking forward to but not the drive there.

I find the 172 driving position uncomfortable for long journeys and the lack of aircon and cruise control will just make it worse! Unlike the R26 which I'd happily driving non stop to the Ring if it didn't have to stop half way for fuel.

Update on the R26 is it hasn't been touched and it's still at Dan's workshop. I'm hoping RS Tuning will be open on Saturday so I (which means tom172cup) can trailer it up and not have to pay someone to do it.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Liking the updates. Great choice of wheels really suit it.
Just don't tell me when you come to sell it. I'm trying to find reasons to keep the flower next year let alone finding reasons not to bid you for this too.
Enjoy the ring sure it will be great, just take it easy out there

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
@Faxo I was thinking of both the flower and the storm. Or a Ph1 front on the storm would make it perfect.

Now there's as plan for you Tim....?

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
AD08R's arrived this week so got them fitted on the 2118's on Friday.

Today I fitted the 2118's and a set of D2500 pads with the help of @Fletcher.

They definitely stand out more in photos than the 182 alloys.
IMG_7846_zpsx40v2chw.jpg

We were going to fit the braided lines as well but decided against it due to issues with the axle stands and pedal feel was good on the test drive.

IMG_7826_zpsrvtfzugi.jpg

Camber bolts will be fitted and aligned this week by Merityre in Hook. I'm going to go with maximum camber available so should be about 1.75 degrees.

Here's what it looks like after washing the car.

IMG_7852_zpsvtfnpobu.jpg

I think it looks much better than before :smiley:

IMG_7811_zpstdtlwasq.jpg