ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best place to fit crossovers?

1.6 Ford Focus
Where would be the best place and easiest place to fit crossovers for my speakers? I currently have my components just wired up to the standard cables with no crossover and I want to fit the crossover that came with my speakers.

I am not too concerned about wiring the tweeter to the crossover, its the mid range speaker I am more interested in... in which case I was just going to wire it to the standard cables in the doors, trouble with that is if I want to wire the tweeters to it further down the line.

My crossovers are under my seats, but then they're connected to an amp in the boot.

I'd say somewhere under the dash/behind glovebox/footwells would be best if your using existing wiring. Tweeters are even easier to lay cable for, so you may as well do that as well!

seat ibiza cupra
your tweeters are all placed in wrong postion and lamborgini u can damage ur speakers if u a. dnt run the crossovers and b. dnt run the tweeters when using the crossovers

tweeters ideally should be about 2-4 inches at max away from ur mid speaker angled slightly towards you - if they placed on dash in in pillar ull hear the tweeter prior to mid range!

i would get them in flush pods on the door and angle them at u

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
2-4 inches?? so the idea place to put tweeters is firing high pitched sound into your leg??
also the speed of sound (at sea level) is 761.21mph, i dont think your brain can process sound that quick lol

yes, having the speaker and tweeter in exaclty the same place will give the best sound IF the speakers are in the correct place for listening. But theyre not!

the entire reason components were made is because speaker companies noticed that car speakers were always being place at the bottom corner of the door, and therefore loosing most of the high end sound by the time the sound reaches your ear. (high frequency sounds can be distorted very easily)

You should keep the tweeters within about 24 inches from the speaker, infront of you and facing in your direction (high end sound gets muffled very easily). Basically, the best place to put tweeters is where renault put them in the first place.

You can run the speaker without the crossover and tweeter if you wish, so long as the impedence matches that of the headunit, and you don't go too far outsie the frequency response range (which will be quite small since it's meant to be used with a tweeter).

However running the crossover without the tweeter attached, will completely mess up the impedence load on the headunit, potentially buggering the amp, and killing the speakers. Could you not just use sticky back pad and stick the crossovers to the side of the door pocket?? or inside the door card??

Last edited:
  1.6 Ford Focus
2-4 inches?? so the idea place to put tweeters is firing high pitched sound into your leg??
also the speed of sound (at sea level) is 761.21mph, i dont think your brain can process sound that quick lol

yes, having the speaker and tweeter in exaclty the same place will give the best sound IF the speakers are in the correct place for listening. But theyre not!

the entire reason components were made is because speaker companies noticed that car speakers were always being place at the bottom corner of the door, and therefore loosing most of the high end sound by the time the sound reaches your ear. (high frequency sounds can be distorted very easily)

You should keep the tweeters within about 24 inches from the speaker, infront of you and facing in your direction (high end sound gets muffled very easily). Basically, the best place to put tweeters is where renault put them in the first place.

You can run the speaker without the crossover and tweeter if you wish, so long as the impedence matches that of the headunit, and you don't go too far outsie the frequency response range (which will be quite small since it's meant to be used with a tweeter).

However running the crossover without the tweeter attached, will completely mess up the impedence load on the headunit, potentially buggering the amp, and killing the speakers. Could you not just use sticky back pad and stick the crossovers to the side of the door pocket?? or inside the door card??

Right, well I haven't actually fitted the new tweeters yet... mainly because I have a strange suspicion that when the dash comes off it's not going to go back on properly...

If this is the case that I will need ot wire up the tweeters to the crossover as well then I may as well fit them and put the crossover under the dash. That's assuming all the cables for both the door and tweeters pass through there.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
knowing the french, they wont.

tbh if you're after sound quality, it might be worth upgrading the wire thats in there anyways, its pretty pitiful.

just bite the bullet and take the dash off, if you're super careful and get some tips, it will go on nicely again. take the original tweeters out and mod the new ones in their place, stick the crossover down out the way (remeber to make sure it wont be in the way of the dash top going back on!) and run the speaker wires two the the door rubber thinging to joing the door loom, and into the speakers.

job done!

Last edited:
  1.6 Ford Focus
knowing the french, they wont.

tbh if you're after sound quality, it might be worth upgrading the wire thats in there anyways, its pretty pitiful.

just bite the bullet and take the dash off, if you're super careful and get some tips, it will go on nicely again. take the original tweeters out and mod the new ones in their place, stick the crossover down out the way (remeber to make sure it wont be in the way of the dash top going back on!) and run the speaker wires two the the door rubber thinging to joing the door loom, and into the speakers.

job done!

Why I am doing this when I am intending on getting a new car this time next year is beyond me... but my plan is to completely upgrade the cars audio. Replace all the speakers, get a fairly decent head unit and get a boot sub build. Then amp as many speakers as possible!

How are the tweeters and door speakers wired up anyway? Are they both on separate cables or do they split somewhere along the line? A diagram for this kind of thing would be rather useful...

Funny enough my mate helping me just so happens to have spare speaker wire.

?
I fitted mine in the doors, drilled in and mounted properly. Had to take the doorcards etc all off though.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
id upgrade as much speaker wire as possible,
if you stint on the wire, it will bring the entire system down!

as for how they're both wired originally, im not too sure,
only two wires for each speaker come out the headunit, so im assuming they either split, or there is a crossover somewhere,

If you plan on doing all this, it will be easier to wait until you have the amp before doing the eitire project. Otherwise you will splice your new stuff into the existing speaker loom, only to have to take the dash back off, rip it apart and run the components to the amp.

wiring the rear speakers to an amp is a doddle, so if you do it all at once, you can wire all the speakers to the amp with very little extra work!

NOTE, 2000th post! hoorah!

Last edited:
your tweeters are all placed in wrong postion and lamborgini u can damage ur speakers if u a. dnt run the crossovers and b. dnt run the tweeters when using the crossovers

tweeters ideally should be about 2-4 inches at max away from ur mid speaker angled slightly towards you - if they placed on dash in in pillar ull hear the tweeter prior to mid range!

i would get them in flush pods on the door and angle them at u

Lol we were all talking about crossovers not tweeters, before you slate us!

I was worried about the dash not going back when I took it off to do mine, but there's a guide on here, and if you follow it its pretty simple, not at all as hard as I was expecting! Gives you much more room and easier to see everything then.