ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Product For Black Trim

Honda & VW
I personally prefer Dressle, recently used on a friends R32 scuttle panel. Really like the application and finish it leaves

Racing Blue 182 Cup
I would like to use Gtechniq C4 but I've heard there are some issues with Renault trim. I have tried AG, Meguiars ASD and Poorboys Trim Restorer but never been 100% happy. What do you guys use to clean the trim before applying the dressing?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I would like to use Gtechniq C4 but I've heard there are some issues with Renault trim. I have tried AG, Meguiars ASD and Poorboys Trim Restorer but never been 100% happy. What do you guys use to clean the trim before applying the dressing?

Wipe with IPA for the best results iirc

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member

Thumbs up for Gtechniq C4, used this myself, the kit should come with an alcohol based cleaner which must be used so you get an even finish.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Gtechniq t1 works well on trim done my mirrors and scuttle trim months ago and still looking good.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
Chap in halfords recommended Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel on black trim, and I must say it works, and boy does the water bead off it. That's what I'm using now.

'05 BG RS182 FF
chemical-guys-new-look-trim-gel-16oz-57-p.jpg

Hi Ben,

With Revive, if the plastic is quite faded it may take a couple of coats in order for the plastic to restore its self from the faded grey. Once protected this should last between 1-2 months depending on the weather.

I hope this helps
Sian

Beaten up 182
I have to admit I've gone off revive as it seems to of separated while stored in my garage this summer, nothing else sends to of been effected. I usually go for Poorboys natural look dressing.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I have to admit I've gone off revive as it seems to of separated while stored in my garage this summer, nothing else sends to of been effected. I usually go for Poorboys natural look dressing.

Lots of products start to separate if left. Just give it a good shake to mix it all up and it's still useable

Most products do this - there is nothing wrong with them and as Dave says, a good shake will have it back to "normal".

Lots of products start to separate if left. Just give it a good shake to mix it all up and it's still useable

Yep.

revive doesnt last nearly as long as it should!

I comparison to what, fella? "As long as it should" needs a competitive product to show it up. Chem Guys NLTG does not last as long as Revive and that was the best I'd tested, up until moving to permanent sealants (C4 and DLUX).

Longevity of any product such as this, much like waxes and sealants, is all down to the prep. Degrease, wash, IPA wipe down will see much better results that slapping it onto a just washed car.

Beaten up 182
Believe me I've given it a bloody good shake up but bits of it have formed into clumps almost like rubber and what's left is a lot thinner. Nothing I have or had has done this before.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I don't know what the problem is with revive.

With a good clean and IPA wiped down first I've had it working for over Three months.

It's long since worn off my car but the plastics don't look overly faded anymore. I need to give it a good going over soon

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Chap in halfords recommended Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel on black trim, and I must say it works, and boy does the water bead off it. That's what I'm using now.
Have you ever applied it then had a shower of rain over the next few days? I tried a couple of times and as soon ads the car got wet it rinsed the tyre gel all over the car!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Most products do this - there is nothing wrong with them and as Dave says, a good shake will have it back to "normal".

Yep.

I comparison to what, fella? "As long as it should" needs a competitive product to show it up. Chem Guys NLTG does not last as long as Revive and that was the best I'd tested, up until moving to permanent sealants (C4 and DLUX).

Longevity of any product such as this, much like waxes and sealants, is all down to the prep. Degrease, wash, IPA wipe down will see much better results that slapping it onto a just washed car.

Min comparison to what auto finesse just told us lol. 2 week max is all I've ever had

Golf GT & A4 Avant
what trim are we talking about Jaff? the front splitter and rear bumper insert on my 182 always died off pretty quickly, but then so did every other trim dressing I tried. On other trim it would last months, and as Knuckles even after it has worn off it still looks better than before it was dressed

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
what trim are we talking about Jaff? the front splitter and rear bumper insert on my 182 always died off pretty quickly, but then so did every other trim dressing I tried. On other trim it would last months, and as Knuckles even after it has worn off it still looks better than before it was dressed

The wing mirror plastics and door rubbers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Car pro DLux is cheap, goes a very long way and lasts 6 months. Why use anything else??

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Renault window rubbers never seem to take any dressing very well, wing mirror plastics I would see many months from revive. on our old golf the door bump strips would need re applying every 3 months.

DLUX can't really be compared as the likes of C5. plus they require perfect prep to bond otherwise they won't take at all.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
based on the prep, application, novice friendly and potential durability they are on completely different ends of the scale.

It's like comparing swissvax Best of Show with CQuartz finest, they are both paint protection

Racing Blue 182 Cup
I went for C4 in the end and I am more than happy. Will see if it lasts as long as they say.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
WD40 works very well on black trim thats looking a little tired and faded . Squirt a little bit on a cloth and work it in .