ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Recovery Service?

Punto/Clio GTT
with the clio being pretty old and the engine being even older, im guessing having breakdown cover will be a good investment, never bothered with it before. Whos best? AA? RAC? how much am i looking at for the year?

BMW F21 125d
Depending on what cover level you require, starting about £50 per year.
Used both the AA and RAC and in my experience they are both as good as each other.

Punto/Clio GTT
basically just want them to come and pick my car up if it breaks down and take me back home, from anywhere in the uk

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Never faulted the RAC, was with them for a few years, excellent service. Saved me a few hundred quid at garages.

Been with the AA for a couple of years now though, same excellent service but much quicker; fantastic waiting times. Usually about 30 minutes after the first call and get a text to say the patrol is on its way from the last job with estimated time. Cannot fault them one bit.

You'll need Recovery to get home from anywhere, Home Start is very useful for flat batteries when noone to jump from or slow punctures when garage monkeys have whizzed the bolts on.

Black Gold Trophy
Having worked in this industry myself, I'd stay well away from the breakdown insurance offered by car insurance companies and stick to organisations like AA and RAC.

Even though AA and RAC subcontract to local recovery firms here and there just like the 'amateurs' in this industry do, they pay a better rate so their jobs have a higher priority to the local firms.

Also whenever you need recovering I would recommend that you request a flatbed as spec lifts and the compact recovery trailers (CRTs) are more likely to damage your car
car.

I'm with the RAC but never had to use them with the Clio (Fingers crossed). I got everything but home recovery for the simple reason I know someone with a low loader and a garage so if the car doesn't start he will come for me! Whatever you go with, get the full package IMO (unless you in a similar situation to me of course).

My dad swears by green flag.. It's the Yorkshire in him, they're cheaper. Dunno if they are actually any good!

Edit: Just had a look on RAC site and its gone right up sure I paid 70, the same service is now £110!

Check if you're covered with anything on your bank. I didn't realise I was until the clio died the other week, phoned up the bank- and the RAC arrived within 10 mins.

I pay around £15 a month for my bank (Barclays) account too, with all the other bits too. Bargain imo.

I'm probably being naïve, but that's what I'm sticking with.

172 Race Car
To the OP, so you dont want anyone to try and fix you at roadside? You said just take you home. If thats what you want then there are companys out there that do that. RAC/AA exist to try and fix you there and then. Thats why there can be a price difference sometimes. get what you pay for etc

Need any in depth info on RAC pm me ;)

Punto/Clio GTT
nah i dont want the car fixed, just took home so i can sort it myself

i see rac and aa's roadside recovery just means they take you to the closest garage, but i just want the car took back home

any companies you recommend?

172 Race Car
Best avoiding AA/RAC then. They will only recover if it cannot be fixed at roadside, not because you dont want it fixed

172 Race Car
Normally 'Roadside' Gives you 10mile tow, home or garage. 'Recovery' takes you anywhere.

You can have 'Roadside' and then pay per mile if and when needed

172 Race Car
Dont understand why you wouldnt want it looked at tho. Blown fuses, loose bolts, flat battery etc all simple stuff that can be fixed easily.

RAC with clubcard points works out cheap. You can get it through the reward plus account with halifax but thats expensive. Ive been since RAC since I passed and have no problems with them.

Accord 2.4
Check if you're covered with anything on your bank. I didn't realise I was until the clio died the other week, phoned up the bank- and the RAC arrived within 10 mins.

They are just basic ones tho. i found out the hard way when my ST broke down 300 miles from home and they would only take me to a local garage. To which i had to do or a £200 lift back

Now ive got a seperate RAC one with home assist/take me to my destination or home

Accord 2.4
Mine was with lloyds gold account. Cancelled it after for a basic one as all i used it for was the breakdown

Audi A3
barclays cover me with RAC, but ive also got AA parts and garage which is fantastic, saved me about £400 so far. both as good as each other though

for the parts and garage and relay with AA i pay £12.20 a month

Chocolate Orange 172
I am with the RAC because they charge £99 for me and my partner with home start and everything! The AA wanted to charge me £138 and thats WITHOUT home start and my missus on the cover!!

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
I'm with greenflag and can say they've been amazing, they use alot of local companies too which helps speed things up. Only needed them twice (when I had a crappy little 106) an they came within 30 minutes an saved the day there and then. I also get this free with my Bank account, although I can't really justify the £13 a month for this an will be getting shot of soon!

Ibiza FR Edition
I have the AA standard cover with home start relay and breakdown repair cover.... I pay about £120 a year but I got a good deal due to price matching some cheap cover the insurance offered me