ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Speed Camera Detector??

In between cars....
Hi All

Getting a speed camera detector off the olds for my crimbo.

Theres plenty out there but what do you guys recommend?

Looked at both stand alone and sat nav, would rather a stand alone unit i think

Cheers!

53 Clio's & counting
well iv got a Talex and for the price its flippin amazing!

also tells you when your in a speed limit, and tells you the second your in it,very precise

In between cars....
Been looking at the Road Angel Professional, looks like a fancy piece of kit, like ma gadgets :p

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
well iv got a Talex and for the price its flippin amazing!

also tells you when your in a speed limit, and tells you the second your in it,very precise

Got one myself and it's never let me down! Only thing is that the mobile camera site warnings can get pretty annoying!

In between cars....
Gonna nip over to chavy halfords, theyre the only local place i can see them, then order online lol :p

BMW M4; S1000 RR
But Halfords don't do the best ones... So a bit counterproductive to your thread title tbh.

The BEST camera detector is the Valentine 1. Always has been and probably always will be.

It's expensive though and they're built for LHD. So other than not having the display sitting perfectly toward your view, it's the best.

Not cheap though and I know my folks wouldn't spend £400 on me for something that's pure purpose is to allow you to get away with driving faster.

http://valentine1.co.uk/ That's a UK dealer link anyway.

Second best, Beltronics. I used a 550 for years trouble free, although it did have the odd false alarm. Still have it though but don't use it unless I'm going on the M25.

This seems to be the most up to date version for the UK now though.

http://www.speedtraps.co.uk/bel-RX65.htm

All comes down to what you want to spend. If you're getting a radar detector, don't get a cheap one. They're not reliable enough to even bother using.

If you want a cheap and cheerful one just get a GPS based detector with a satnav built in. Garmin Nuvi's are good and I recommend their new 700 series. Very swish and they're about £200 for the one with maps for Europe.

http://shop.speedreligion.net/garmin-nuvi-760t-2-p.asp

BMW M4; S1000 RR
the snooper s5r was well good a few years ago, probs pick 1 up cheap now

Yep.

http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/s5r.htm

I'd probably still want to go for the Bel personally. But then I haven't paid for any of my car gadgets like this so I think if I was going to spend £300 on something like this then I'd buy a laser jammer and just slow down when I saw big yellow boxes;)

http://shop.speedreligion.net/laser-pro-park---single-head-protection-5-p.asp

That would be my choice tbh.

In between cars....
Good website that radar detectors, like the look of that s5r, would compliment a sat nav nicely

Take it the laser detector ones are pretty good then? do they pick up the laser signal far enough away to allow you to adjust your speed if necessary? These cameras can get you from 1000m

In between cars....
Really like the look of that S5R actually

Theres only a couple of those detectors that give all round protection though, cost a fortune :(

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Really like the look of that S5R actually

Theres only a couple of those detectors that give all round protection though, cost a fortune :(

I think you're mistaking the point of them fella.

I'll give you the order of priority for this type of thing in my car.

1. Laser jammed
2. Radar detector
3. GPS camera warning system

Basically. The laser jammer physically stops police with laser guns from getting a speed reading on you. From any distance. You can see gatsos and any other speed camera so you can quite easily get by without a camera detector.

Radar detectors basically tell you when there's an ACTIVE radar signal being used. Aka a speed camera that's working. This is brilliant on the M25 when they have the reduced speed limit (so basically if you're on the m25) because you can then tell which ones you actually need to slow down for, and it's rarely more than 5 tbh (I usually go from the a23 junction 8 to the junction for the. M40).

GPS detectors are truly for the lazy. They offer no purpose other than to warn you of what you should already see if you're driving with your eyes open. You can argue they warn you of mobile sites, but police can setup mobile sites wherever and whenever they want, so unless you don't speed you'll never be protected from them anyway (without a jammer of course).

Long post and I did it on my iPhone so there are probably some silly mistakes.

In between cars....
The laser jammer bit though, if spotted by the police will atract more points and a bigger fine than just the penalty itself will it not?

I thought that s5r would be good for the mobile cameras and plods with the hand held things?

Been looking round alot tonight, few of those jammers you cant even buy :(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
If you have a jammer and you are caught, you will be bummed by the law.

Probably with no lube as well :dapprove:

Admittedly, this might appeal to some people that post on here, but not for me lol

RS RIP
^^ lol

Our traffic police cars here in Holland have, since radardetectors have become illegal, got a radardetector-detector :S on board . When the little buzzer goes off in their car they will hunt you down to stop you ; big fine (around 250pounds) and you have to dismantle the device on the spot.
People i know that have been pulled over with one were saying they were treated as nasty criminals

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yes.. If you are caught using a jammer (please note they're not illegal to buy, own or fit to your car) then you'll probably get in trouble. Long and the short of it is that if you use common sense and buy a decent one, you won't get caught. They're very descreet, especially on a Clio. I had a couple of dealings where the police would have LOVED to pin something on me by the side of the road and the jammer was never commented on.

Bottom line is that there's no other protection against 'the plod with the hand held things'.

And if you are interested in getting one but you're just not comfortable about the legality then PM me and I'll explain a few truths about it (when I have a keyboard instead of the iPhone)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
^^ lol

Our traffic police cars here in Holland have, since radardetectors have become illegal, got a radardetector-detector :S on board . When the little buzzer goes off in their car they will hunt you down to stop you ; big fine (around 250pounds) and you have to dismantle the device on the spot.
People i know that have been pulled over with one were saying they were treated as nasty criminals

LOL

Yes this is another reason to buy a good one (if you're planning on using them in Europe) as they can't be detected.

I was on a trip down to Portugal a few years ago and the driver of the other car going down with us was stopped in france and fined about £700 for having a radar detector. They confiscated it aswell and this was back when the bel550 was worth £400. They said if they could prove he was using it (they couldn't because it had a stealth feature) then the fine would have been double. Sounds bad but he was doing 150mph so perhaps just getting caught at that speed would have been worse...

Black Gold Trophy
The laser jammer bit though, if spotted by the police will atract more points and a bigger fine than just the penalty itself will it not?

I thought that s5r would be good for the mobile cameras and plods with the hand held things?

Been looking round alot tonight, few of those jammers you cant even buy :(

I've got an S5R sat in my room, £40 posted if you want it?
I've got speed camera alerts on my tom tom so don't use it anymore :approve: