ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Strategy Game for Modest PC

Mito Sportiva 135
Ok, after being on my 360 relentlessly for over 2 years, I realised I haven't played any PC games since Dawn of War (which I loved). I have a PC which is only about a year old, but modest spec, but want to get a decent strategy game.

I've been looking at:

• Dawn of War 2
  • Command & Conquer / Red Alert Series
  • Supreme Commender 2
  • Civilisation
What's best to go for, any I've missed off the list?

Cheers
Tom

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I really liked DoW2, but the Chaos Rising follow up was a bit weak. Plays nothing like the original DoW (forget base building) but its a good game in its own right.

Civ 4 is superb and your PC would easily run SimCity 4 & the Rush Hour expansion if you fancied something a little different. Total War : Napoleon is a great one too - even if it lacks a bit of the micro-management of Total War : Empire. Depends what you want from your strategy title I guess?

If you want ultra-hardcore strategy - pick up War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/details/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admiral's.Edition .It does help if you're a stato on all military units circa WW2, however!

D.

Goliath I
Im a Red Alert guy so that would be my choice... number RA3's not bad but either Command and Conquer Generals or even RA2 and your on the money

Couldnt get into Supreme Commander nor Civ

Dawn of War... never played, no comment

Starcraft 2 has just been released which im loving at the moment or if you liked DoW get Company of Heroes, best RTS bar none - usually pretty cheap now! CoH is made by Relic who did the DoW series.

Mito Sportiva 135
Ha...ok so more choices!!!

Played a Total games AGES ago, think it might have been Rome, but found the controls confusing. Are the new ones more streamlined? Otherwise Civ has always kind of appealed to me, is 5 nout out yet/imminent though?

Red Alert was THE game that got me into the genre really, so a newer version would be cool, isn't 2 a bit old now though, even 3 has been out a while IIRC?

Starcraft 2...not really played the first one, will the second one work ok on my PC, the graphics card is pretty modest?

Goliath I
Download a couple, see what you think

RA2 is fairly old but its A. cheap and B. Awesome! lol If your gonna go with Red Alert your probably best off going with Generals

But I'm sure someone will be along to debate that Civ or Dawn Of War is the greatest game ever with a hundred reason why

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
DoW 1 i would say, its brilliant great replayability.

just read OP properly. i rekon starcraft 2 might work on yours tbh the graphics aren't mentally better from the screenshots, i'tll prob run fine.

Mito Sportiva 135
I'm thinking of getting SC2. Incidentally, Red Alert 3 seems to have been slated! I never knew it was such a dog. RA2 however I may purchase, as Tiberium Twilight also seems a dog if reviews are to be trusted?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm thinking of getting SC2. Incidentally, Red Alert 3 seems to have been slated! I never knew it was such a dog. RA2 however I may purchase, as Tiberium Twilight also seems a dog if reviews are to be trusted?

Wouldn't touch C&C past RA2 tbh, EA are just milking it now and have ruined it

RA3 was an absolute embarrassment - the team who churned that shite out should hang their heads in shame. I really liked C&C Generals and the later C&C3 Tiberium Wars - they still had that 'something' from the original Command & Conquer, imo.

I can't comment on C&C4 as I haven't tried it, but that sounds turd as well from what I've read.

D.

Mito Sportiva 135
I think I am swinging towards Starcraft now! Although Supreme Commander 2 could be wicked: I LOVED Total Annihilation, love giant robots...but wouldn't it blow my PC up? The graphics look quite detailed?

Shame about how C&C has ended up, considering it pretty much spawned the whole genre (omitting the likes of Dune 2 and Z back in the day!)

Mito Sportiva 135
b****cks! JUST about to order and noticed you need 1.5gb of RAM for Vista according to Blizzard's minimum spec. However I've got 2.6ghz dual AMD processor over the 2.4 dual ghz recommended spec. I don't know what my graphics card.

Will this run do you think or just chug even with settings reasonable?

albi 197
b****cks! JUST about to order and noticed you need 1.5gb of RAM for Vista according to Blizzard's minimum spec. However I've got 2.6ghz dual AMD processor over the 2.4 dual ghz recommended spec. I don't know what my graphics card.

Will this run do you think or just chug even with settings reasonable?

You might want to wack in a bit more memory, vista is a joke for resources. I was playing on a intel dual core 2.6ghz, 4gb ram and an ati 4890. Ran fine at 1680x1050 with medium settings. The huge fights towards the end of the single player reduced my fps to roughly 15, which is verging on unplayable, but for the most part it was very playable.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Download the demo of starcraft 2, try it, if it works on your comp your not gonna get a RTS better than it, the story is just epic.

Mito Sportiva 135
Tyranical think that's a great idea, duh on my behalf!!! Hopefully it does because it does look awesome.

Otherwise might go the other direction and get Civ5, not played a game like that for a while!

EDIT, I've been loking for a place to download the demo but can't find it, anyone got a link please?

Last edited: