ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best time to buy a 172?

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
Yo!

I'm saving the pennies to swap the 16v over for a 172 as I need something more reliable that won't need something fixing every month or two. What do you reckon is the best age to buy one money wise? I've been looking at spending about 5k which should get me one from about 2001 at a push I think but wondering whether to wait a bit to save a bit more and get something newer. I'll be keeping it for 2 or 3 years so don't mind paying if it'll give trouble free(ish) motoring. Might also be worth waiting for the newer model in case prices slump a little bit.

Cmon, loads of you have bought 172 now and you must have an idea of when you think you get best value for money. This is gonna be my first car bought for the long term so want to get it right. :cool:

BMW E46 330i Touring
Mine's a 2000 model, 50k miles and I paid about £5k for it...

I personally don't think the age is the most important factor, when considering they're all only a couple years apart. It's more about the mileage, previous faults, and how well the owner has looked after it. I'd much rather pay that bit extra and get one that's been owned by an enthusiast. :)

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I got a 2000 X plate for more than 5K. But it had only 28,000 miles on the clock and was in v.good condition. Why not buy a Cup 172, that's what I'd do next I think.

Hope that helps.

Renault ChaVio
Cars get cheaper every month so the longer you wait the cheaper it will be. Personanally I think it is a good time to buy as there is not a lot of cash out there. Be patient and a bit cheeky and you should do well. I'd of thought now through to February to work in your favour.

Like above, January will bring another new plate and shuffle it all down a bit more.

R5 Gordini Turbo
The best time to buy is in the month after a plate change as all the part exchanges flood the market. Christmas and August are other good times as people have other things to buy other than cars...

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
Great, good advice. Thanks guys. Will leave it until after Christmas as long as the 16v will get through the winter ok. There seem to be 172s come up on here quite often so I think that'll be the way to go. No one's going to try to bullshit you about it on here as most of the car's history will be in the forum somewhere! I'd thought about a cup but can't really see the benefits, as far as I can see it's not really much quicker and has no aircon. I would have though a cup would cost more anyway as they won't be as common as the regular 172. There seems to be a complete 50/50 split of opinions on whether to go for a full fat or cup and I've not driven either yet so don't really have one :D

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
badinvincible said:
Buy my ph1 172 or if you're looking for a ph2, buy jon_r's silver Cup with CC.

Actually, I've looked at yours several times as it's just what I'm after (prefer the look of the phase 1 front end). Unfortunately the cash isn't all here yet cuz we've just bought a house and I'm not getting in any more debt for it. If you were selling it in a few months then I'd have already been round for a look. :cool:

If intrested I have a Renault Clio 172 Cup, 2004, 53, 8005 miles, blue, standard 172 cup spec no mods... previously cat d damaged, excellent repair. Will take £6500.

Best to buy before the winter as there are normally about 200+ written off or heavily smashed between november and feb, lol

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
If you not in any major rush you may be better off waiting until the new RS is relesed late next year, as the prices of all of the RS Clio range will drop in price.

If you cant wait that long, i would try getting one now, as the prices have steadly dropped since earlier this year, and as Loony says, try getting one in spring and loads will have been written off, it happens every year.

(waits for the first post I have written my Cup Off)

LOL

^^^ Nah, on that advice I'd suggest buying AFTER winter - then there's no chance you'll be one of the statistics, lol.

Fingers crossed there ain't a repeat this winter...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Christ i hope not.. there's good ones about i paid jus over 7k for a mk2 with 11k miles on the clock.

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
Might have to wait til after Christmas anyway as the missus seems to think a new kitchen is higher priority than a new toy for me! Harsh I know. Think I'll hold out till then as long as the valver will get through winter ok (that reminds me, I must put anti-freeze in tonight!). Do the prices seriously go up after Christmas with less about or was that just a bit of an exageration? I've noticed they only seem to be cheap for the car they are because there's so many around for sale

Ad

MK2 FRS
Bit on an exagertation, dont reckon prices of MK1s are gonna drop much more, when you think, they are no too far way from valver money when you consider the age difference. early Mk1 172 are around 4k trade value.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah, they've gone past their serious depreciation now, it's the 182's that will tumble over the next few years.

172's will stick at around 3-5k for a few years now (as Williams have), although they will obviously gradually decrease in value. Give it twenty years when all but a fewhave been crashed or ragged to death and the decent ones may actually start to be worth more again!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
If you`ve got time on your side advertise wanting one.
You may get lucky & grab a bargain.
I sure did!!!!!