ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BEST TO LOWER 35 OR 40MM

Finally the 17s are on !!!! :D (Toora platinum 8s)

My 99 T reg clio now looks a bit like a monster truck!

Ive read that with lowering the car - say 40mm - the effects arent visable for say a couple of weeks until the springs have "bedded in". is this true?

and also i read that if u lower 40mm - in the end when the springs have "settled down" completely its more like 45mm - is this true?

in that case would i be better goin for 35mm lowering spring because i dont want to go really low - i jus want to get rid of that nasty gap between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the arch! :confused:

any help or advise is REALLY appreciated!

thanks again!

you noticed! :confused:

massive speed bumps round ere see - me last car - rover 214 sei - i know i know a rover ! (1 HELL OF CAR THOUGH) n e way

that was lowered on koni reds - shocks and springs but was so low it used to smack the speed bumps!

looked mint tho

want me clio to look mint too cos this is on 17s and old car was only on 15s

dont want to go so low that the car smacks the bloody speed bumps tho!

40 shud be ok u recon?

Your 17s would of raised the car remember so lowering it 40mm wont make the bodywork much closer to the ground than standard, the gap between the wheels and arches will just be a lot smaller. I wont recommend you any as i havent had any fitted but a lot of owners have had their cars 40mm, im sure theyll reply soon enough.

-Rob

thanks for that m8 - its not the ride height i want to change - its that nasty gap between the tyres and the archesi want to get rid of.

40mm shud sort this aye???

thanks alot for your help

apex have been reccomended to me by quite a few that ive spoken troo, eibach for driving ride improvement, though youre prob not after that with 17s on...

Lowering does look good, but it just makes the ride hard as FCUK and itll probably drive you mad! as well as shaking the car to bits! = Lots of rattles!!

if youre going to do it dont skimp, pay as much as you can as with all things the more you pay the better you get!!

slamming the car 60 will look great, no doubt about it and may help the handling in the dry, but get a bit of rain and youll find it handles like a B-atch!!

get some adjustable coilovers. Then you can drop it till it looks like the ride you want. Then adjust the firmness untill it suits.

If later on you dont like the height or firmness then change the setup again.

has that one really been dropped 60???? freds seems to be lower? or is that jus because its the newer shape?

yes id LOVE it lookin like that - jus the ground clearance issue again - :confused:

dont want to smash the car to peices on speedbumbs etc.

you ppl think 40mm is a safer bet?

lookin again at that pic - itmust have only jus had th -60mm springs on cos by my reconing - lookin at the gap i got - if i lower mine 40 the rear arch will be right next to the tyre - but so is that one ..... which has been done 60mm??

:confused:

HELP!!

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 25 March 2003

Hmm, Why would rain make a low car handle crap?

Daz.
i dont know what the exact phrasiology is, but stiffening the cars suspension reduces the amount of play on the limit, therefore the car becomes more rigid as a whole and is more likely to slide as there is a reduced amount of play with the cambers etc. so on the limit it is more likely to bolt out from underneath you.

H22A7 Accord Type R

john where did u order ur springs from? I should be ordering mine this weekend!! cheers bud, Rob

H22A7 Accord Type R

.......on the subject of wet handling also.......lowering n uprated suspension is less proggresive, more a case of grip grip grip gone...........SsSsSsS (<-- those are u spinning lol). Soft suspension makes your car lean more, n u have more time to react and deal with whatever the car is up to, whereas with lowered n stiffened suspension, it all happens a lot quicker, with less reaction time.............please correct me if im wrong lol! Rob

H22A7 Accord Type R

lol, and i thought u were gonna tell me where to order my apex springs from fred!! :D lol

rob carnausier(spelling) they are in wales, they are on the cliosport contacts.

ordered them lunch time tuesday, had them on wednesday

H22A7 Accord Type R

its apex im after mate?! does he do them? i will no doubt be seeing u at southport next month!!!

Lionel Richie

Cos theres feck all shock absorbsion going on!!!!! charlie my friend, LISTEN TOO ME, GET A 60MM DROP!!!! Dont listen to all these gay boys!!!

At first i went for a 40mm Apex drop, wasnt low enough so i went for 60mm Pi. This is ok, but its STILL isnt low enough for me so im getting coilovers thatll take me down to 80mm!!!!!!!

sounds to me like fred is a lowerin- "aholic"

the first step is to admit u have a problem fred - then we can go from there ;)

thing im gonna join "the gay boys" and go for the safe 40mm drop (sorry fred)

thanx to all you guys for your help / advice - much appreciated