ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup - 15"wheel Question

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, well several questions really:
1. I'm sure that I read on here somewhere that the 172 Cup was designed for 15" wheels but for some reason or other in the UK it came with 16". Did I dream this or is it true? If it is true, did the 15" wheel cars originally come with shorter springs too?
2. I'm positive I've seen pics on here of UK cars fitted with 15" wheels and standard springs that show the wheel arch gap and everyone saying it looked rubbish. I'll be damned if I can find those pics now though. Can anyone point me at them please?
3. Which 15" inch wheel options have I got? I'd be after a used set, quite happy to refinish, I have some new Nakang tyres kicking around. I'd like something lighter than the Turinis. Ultraleggeras would be good but I cant see any second hand ones around and they are probably the most expensive, arent they? OZ F1s look nice to me but I read they dont really save any weight over turinis. Anyone got any good ideas? What about the Williams jobbies - are they lighter than Turinis, maybe gold with mondial blue..hmmm?
All thoughts, pics, ramblings and general abuse most welcome.
Cheers
Will

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
All road cars are 16" on the cup

Williams wheels weigh 7kg, super and ultra legs are 5kg each. Pro race 1.2 are 6kg.

Bit of lowering and 15" can look mint, weigh less and cheaper tyres

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
Are you sure about all 172 cups having the 16s worldwide? I'm sure there was a guy on here from South America who said 172 cups were supplied with 15 inch Turinis over there? I guess maybe I did dream it:)

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
They drive much better on 15’s, do it.
I reckon I will. I've only just got the car and am working my way through servicing it as its been standing for a while. Once I'm happy that its all running well, I'll get going on the wheels.

535d / t5 caravelle
I remember, swapping my 16” Turinis for my 15” steelies with winter tyres on, and even with them on, it drove 10 times better.

535d / t5 caravelle
It had bilsteins b14 on it, ended up with Williams wheels on it in the end.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
No worries @scalino65 that's not Google weights either that's me weighing bare wheels I own, rounded to nearest kg but deviation of 100g max