ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best top end coilies....

In reality both coilovers and big brakes will do naff all if you run rubbish tyres...

If your going to use the Ultraleggera as track wheels only then go for some R888's or the equivelent. You'll be able to break much harder and corner quicker with just R888's alone.

Coupled with coilovers and a good break setup, this will be savagely quick! :)

I got ASTs a while ago, fully se-up from scratch my MR AST himself to the same spec as the burpspeed race car. Absolutely awesome bit of kit.....everyone whos been in the car has all said the same too.

It was a bit pricey, but it's one of the best mods I've done.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'll be surprised if you really need much more than the standard CS setup, brembo HC's, braided lines and DS2500's. The cars still going to be light, I guess it depends how fast you plan on going (on track of course)
I have to agree. End of the day you'll have the same contact patch, bigger brakes won't make the tyres grippier when braking.

Stripped yozza'd cup
In reality both coilovers and big brakes will do naff all if you run rubbish tyres...

If your going to use the Ultraleggera as track wheels only then go for some R888's or the equivelent. You'll be able to break much harder and corner quicker with just R888's alone.

Coupled with coilovers and a good break setup, this will be savagely quick! :)

These are going to be my every day wheels, so for the time being, I'm going to have to go with Hankook's. As soon as I get a second car, I'll change them.

I'm inclined to agree about brakes tbh, as long as you've got enough power to lock the wheels, then what more do you need? I'll invest in some braided hoses and see how it goes. Even if I need to lose the fogs in favour of cooling ducts, it's not then end of the world.

Both options are more of a luxury than a necessity then so I'll wait a while!

Thanks for your help everyone!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You really need to get a ride (ideally a drive) in a car with the suspension options you're looking at. It is, at the end of the day a very personal thing.

Re. R888's, imo they are not more fun than any decent road tyre. Trade of for the extra grip is less throttle adjustability (brilliant with the ARB set to the middle setting), more wear on suspension/braking components. All things considered, for me the RS2 is the ideal compromise. Stiffer sidewall than the average road tyre (more responsive), but the compound will last for ages. Not too much grip (not r888 levels).

You really need to get a ride (ideally a drive) in a car with the suspension options you're looking at. It is, at the end of the day a very personal thing.

Re. R888's, imo they are not more fun than any decent road tyre. Trade of for the extra grip is less throttle adjustability (brilliant with the ARB set to the middle setting), more wear on suspension/braking components. All things considered, for me the RS2 is the ideal compromise. Stiffer sidewall than the average road tyre (more responsive), but the compound will last for ages. Not too much grip (not r888 levels).

The RS-2's are great and I agree with what you say, but shear grip and pushing cars well above the weight of the clio around a track is fun also as you can see how pissed they are when a snotter goes past ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The RS-2's are great and I agree with what you say, but shear grip and pushing cars well above the weight of the clio around a track is fun also as you can see how pissed they are when a snotter goes past ;)
Doing that knowing it's you, not the tyres is better;)

Stripped yozza'd cup
Brown bear, I've seen that written a lot about the rs2's, which is why I've decided to sell the turinis and use the ultra's full time. I figured, as you say, massive grip is less fun and also makes it more likely to push that bit too far and up on the grass or worse. I'm much more interested in having a bit of mental track fun than outright pace. After all, that's what track days are about.

Stripped yozza'd cup
And nick, I definitely agree with the 'underdog' thing being great fun, but I think with 325horses, I should be able to surprise a few folks anyway ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Are there any other manufacturers that make 4 pots that are slim enough to fit under my wheels though?
The thread from jam-sport, although written a while ago now, seems to suggest they are the first to offer such a set-up?

The compbrake and willwood 4 pot set-up are both quite similar, and both run 295mm discs.

The only thing that would put me off the Jam-sport willwood kit is the fact they don't run separate bells and rotors, like the compbrake kit does.

s11.jpg

;)

Stripped yozza'd cup
If I can get it down to 900kg, I'll have the same power/weight ratio as a lamborghini gallardo :evil:

Fletcher, I've seen mixed reviews about the willwood, haven't seen any on the compbrake though. Do you have any clue on price? Or where I can find out.... Having a separate rotor is definitely a plus though...

Stripped yozza'd cup
I'd be correct in thinking that the bolt spacing on my cup is the same as a FF 172 yes? It's only the 182cup where they changed it....

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
If I can get it down to 900kg, I'll have the same power/weight ratio as a lamborghini gallardo :evil:

Fletcher, I've seen mixed reviews about the willwood, haven't seen any on the compbrake though. Do you have any clue on price? Or where I can find out.... Having a separate rotor is definitely a plus though...

I paid £650 for my Compbrake 4 pots through a CS group buy a few years back. I've had mine fitted since April 2008 and have done about 40-45k without any problems.

www.compbrake.co.uk