ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best tyres for track and road use

Clio 172
All tyres are a compromise.
As Tim says
AD08R may be one that performs well across the broad/vague requirements.
I put a set of the AD08R on my 172 and was very impressed wet and dry they were great and the car is primarily a track car, very easy tyre to live with and give tons of feed back before a very predictable slide starts.
Now have R888R as the main set and for £103 a corner they are just unreal. Grip is superb and good warm up times .
Every tyre will be a compromise in some way so you'll need to decide what you need from your tyres, but remember more grip will put more stress on other components like suspension and steering so beware of thinking semi slick tyres alone are the answer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on at the moment but noticed a massive tear in the wall of the one, Thinking of swapping the fronts for the AD08R's Just been outed £125 each fitted, Good price? Ok to leave the F1's on the rear?

Thanks

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Another for AD08rs here, although the caution is some tracks do eat them before the days end- meaning putting on the road wheels/tyres

And in the (Soaking) wet didnt think they were to be pushed to the limit, so I take a couple of Uniroyal Rainsports with me nowadays, that can at least be put on if the AD08r's have been eaten :)

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Are the newish PS4s as good as the PS3s. They were very good imo.
Would use them for road use mind- getting some for my daily next time round

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Probably best to decide where you would like the tyre to perform best. Fast road driving is limited these days and track tyres work fine on the road.
I use ns2r’s, cost peanuts perform to a decent level on both.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Anyone used yokohama A048 on the road? Perfectly fine to drive to track on?

They are a bit skitty in the wet on the roads, but fine if driving to suit the conditions. Epic tyres, best semi slick i have used, a lot better than R888/R888R.

They are a bit skitty in the wet on the roads, but fine if driving to suit the conditions. Epic tyres, best semi slick i have used, a lot better than R888/R888R.

Perfect, I dont push on in the wet and probably wont even drive the clio if it is now its a 2nd car. My pzeros are well below on the front but thought instead of comprising track performance Ill just get some semi slicks and be done, perhaps pick up some cheap 1*2 wheels for wets further down the line.

One thing I dont get is about heat cycling and more so they have x amount of times before they go off?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
One thing I dont get is about heat cycling and more so they have x amount of times before they go off?

From memory mine were medium compound, 2x trackdays and a handful of road miles and they were under the wear markers, still did not notice a drop off in performance. My mate had a set of medium/hard a048s on his megane which suffered though after a couple of trackdays and once on the wear marker they were loose as feck, the edges were nicely blue on them. Binned straight after but he had his moneys worth, so if using them when well used may have issues.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
@Brigsy these look okay? I guess age is the important part

Look fine to me mate, the ones to avoid in my eyes are the well used tyres with a good jagged edge and near the wear bar. Will you get away with 50 profile? The sidewall and tread compared to normal tyres is quite beefy.

Look fine to me mate, the ones to avoid in my eyes are the well used tyres with a good jagged edge and near the wear bar. Will you get away with 50 profile? The sidewall and tread compared to normal tyres is quite beefy.

Thanks mate, sorry for all the questions lol. Cars not overly low and 500lb front springs so should be good. I would stick to 205/45 but £££, new r888r (cheapest) cost 250 ish for a pair, thats for 87w, 83w is 300