ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best value 55" 4K and surround package

Mito Sportiva 135
Hi guys. Moving into my new pad with my mrs and looking for the best value 4K TV and sound system.

I like this X series Sony model with the HTCT770 wireless soundbar and sub-woofer package, although I know probably paying a premium for it being a Sony.

I have done loads of looking about and the Sony models do seem to have the best picture, but I know in a store setting it's very artificial and not reflective of how you necessarily want your TV picture to look at home.

Ideally looking to spend about £2K in total for the TV and sound, any advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Mito Sportiva 135
Also, is 4K tv worth it? To me it seems less of a gimmick than 3D and should take-off, but given how long it's taken for HD to get going part of me says wait a while and maybe get a 4K next time around. It is an awful lot of money after all.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I could be wrong, but is there any point in 4k yet? Nothing transmits in 4k and AFAIK blu-ray is sub-4k quality.

Even Sky HD is 720p iirc.

Rav4
Hi,

I have the W900 Sony TV (australian model) and it's really good.

There are two elements which annoy me.

1) Apps - there is nothing much on there, can't add new ones. Not even plex.
2) The menu system can have a bit of lag.

I am however, very happy with the PQ and generally how it is.

I was considering the Samsung 8000 series at the time, due to the quad core processor and preferred the backend of it, but decided the premium wasn't worth it.

The added bonus of the Sony is if you have a PS3/PS4, it recognises it and can use just one remote for films.

Regarding surround sound, no clue. Too many choices.

4k = my thoughts is it's a premium, which won't be really utilised, the networks currently cannot broadcast on that, internet content some like netflix provide it but it's not to the quality if you were using a 4K DVD. However, thinking about the future is a good idea.

Nevetherless, good luck :)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Personally I wouldn't be adopting 4K (TV anyway) for a while, there's almost no content and by the time there is, the tech will have developed beyond where it's at now.

Mito Sportiva 135
Cool thanks for the advice, guys. I know Samsung is cheaper but personally find the look of their images not too my taste, almost looks too real in some cases (if that makes sense, probably a better technical term for it!)

I'm now thinking 4K might not be worth it, and can just go for a very good HDTV and will save about £800.

Rav4
Cool thanks for the advice, guys. I know Samsung is cheaper but personally find the look of their images not too my taste, almost looks too real in some cases (if that makes sense, probably a better technical term for it!)

I'm now thinking 4K might not be worth it, and can just go for a very good HDTV and will save about £800.

What I would do personally. Good choice. Save the cash and spend it on something else :)

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah - means I can get a nice audio system and bench to put it all on, and maybe even an Xbox One/PS4 for the same money

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Hi,

I have the W900 Sony TV (australian model) and it's really good.

I concur. We have the W905 and it's brilliant.

Personally, I'd hang off 4K until people stop titting about with codecs, I believe netflix have just announced which 4K codec they're using and surprise surprise there are lots of 4K TVs out there which don't support it.

Let the early adopters take the hit and upgrade when it's cheaper and standardised.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I don't think you're going to get a Sony 4K telly for £2k even without a sound system included?

Unless some prices have changed recently.

I bought a 46W905 with my Mrs a few months ago and with 33% staff discount we got that for £800. The 55" was £1200 with discount IIRC.

Another thumbs up for the W9 here BTW. Really nice picture processing, and converts regular trash HD pictures (Netflix/Freeview) into silky smooth film looking picture. Not sure on the competition with regards to apps and home integration, but it plays movies from my PC running PS3MC and plays Youtube videos from the iPhones/iPads instantly regardless of what the TV is currently on.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
A high end HD TV (no curve gimmicks) will be future proof for a good 3-5 years tbh.

That's what I did! Had it for 2.5 years so far, If 4k is widely available in ~3years I'll upgrade

Mito Sportiva 135
Yes I've done a bit more reading about and think the 4K sets, whilst nice, aren't very good VFM right now and will be paying a premium for technology which isn't really that useful today.

What are the best 55-60" sets available right now then? Probably looking to spend about £1,500 or less on a non-4K set, and allowing me to get a good sound system.

In terms of audio, was thinking of a good soundbar/subwoofer combo - but would people recommend going down the whole amp and speaker route still? The soundbar/subwoofer I was looking at was the Sony HTCT770, the amp I was recommended was the Sony STRDN 1040 - but it's about the same price for that as the bar and doesn't include the speakers!

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you want Plasma then a Panasonic VT60 (I think is the latest one, it might be VT65..)

If you want LCD then Sony W9.

This was correct at the start of the year, I haven't kept up with any new models that have since been released.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yes the W955 was the one I was looking at, there doesn't seem to be a 60" version I can find and the 65" is too big (and expensive!)

I think given the choice I'd go for the Sony, seeing as plasma screens tend to degrade quicker, plus less energy efficient. And I like Sony stuff, too!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not sure about the degrading stuff as you never hear bad things about Pana plasmas.

But yes the W9 is a cracking LCD and uses less energy than a light bulb (if you care about such things!). The 65" version is technically inferior to the 55" version which is still the flagship HD screen.

Mito Sportiva 135
Cool, I've done a bit of searching about and found some good deals - going to have a look this weekend at Richer Sounds. Thanks for the advice!

Mini JCW
VT65 plasma - one of the best quality screens around. The images are pretty much unbeatable by LCD screens IMO

11434449984_90c9a09d10_z.jpg
DSC_0222 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

3D isn't a gimmick. It adds functionality and gives you access to new content. Much of which is excellent.

4K is the current gimmick, as it doesn't give you access to new content.

Mito Sportiva 135
3D just doesn't interest me really, but yes accept your point - at least there is currently some 3D content available!

Looked into that VT65 - does seem a serious piece of equipment, but only seems to come in that size so might be too large for my lounge I think

Mito Sportiva 135
Oh - might have been my mistake! I think 55" is the largest I want to go in my lounge, could look a bit too big otherwise.

That and the Sony W series are the ones I'll look into, and see how far my budget can stretch to!

The 55" VT65 is a monster TV. It's not flawless, and comes with the compromises of plasma, but it also doesn't have the compromises of LCD/LED. For the home cinema enthusiast, it is top of the tree amongst regular display panels.

Mito Sportiva 135
I've decided to go for the Sony W9 55" - but after going to Richer Sounds decided a Soundbar probably isn't really worth it and I'd be better off spending a little more for an amp and speakers (OK, well a lot more).

Richer Sounds offer a free consultation process where they come round your house and advise you so we're doing that - hopefully quite a useful service, so will let you know what I go for!

Mito Sportiva 135
Well - they were sh1t. Didn't bother showing, didn't bother calling. I called them today to see what happened, no explanation but was told they would call back and rearrange. So far, nothing.

Will take my money and shop at JL or Currys - where they actually seem to provide a service.

Mito Sportiva 135
Right, I take it back, Richer Sounds apologised for the missed appointment and I got my Sony W series 55" from there this Sunday, with the new Sony STRN 1060 amp and Panasonic BR player. The TV itself looks great and have the amp hooked up to my 2 existing floor standing Sony speakers which are 165w per channel. They sound great although will look to get an additional 2 speakers and dedicated sub unit as I can afford them.

Now got my old LG plasma in my games room - just need a new Xbox One or PS4 to go with it!

Rav4
Right, I take it back, Richer Sounds apologised for the missed appointment and I got my Sony W series 55" from there this Sunday, with the new Sony STRN 1060 amp and Panasonic BR player. The TV itself looks great and have the amp hooked up to my 2 existing floor standing Sony speakers which are 165w per channel. They sound great although will look to get an additional 2 speakers and dedicated sub unit as I can afford them.

Now got my old LG plasma in my games room - just need a new Xbox One or PS4 to go with it!

Pics of setup please ;)