ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to remove tints

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Just bought a 172 with limo tints at the back and probably illegal tints at the front. They are just films, whats the best way to remove them?

Mk2 Ph2 172
I used a scalpel to start getting the tint off and aerosol brake cleaner to clean any excess glue left

Easy job tbh

Hair drier, warm the tint so the glue heats up and peel off...

Auto smart tardis afterwards to remove the left over glue residue.

Then clean the window.

Clio 172
This sounds crazy but get your lass, get her in the back of the car and the proceed to rive the gusset out of her, the steam will let you scrape it straigh off! spent hours tring to remove mine on my old R5 gt-t, this cured it!

...........failing that, boil a kettle, leave it in the car so it steams up and then scrape off with a old credit card or something similar....

wall paper steamer would also work, it comes off sooooooo much easier than using solvants

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
How do you remove a rear window tint without damaging the rear demister? Will Autosmart Tardis damage the demister lines?

I hope its ok to post in this thread, i didn't want to create a new thread because my question is relevent to the topic

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Peel off film
Clean glass with pure acetone & wire wool (this removes the sticky residue)
Clean again with tardis & wire wool
Polish glass with windolene

Takes approx 20-25 mins per window.

Easy peasy.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Peel off film
Clean glass with pure acetone & wire wool (this removes the sticky residue)
Clean again with tardis & wire wool
Polish glass with windolene

Takes approx 20-25 mins per window.

Easy peasy.

Will wire wool 0000 damage the demister? From what i've read and seen its ok on glass.

Why use both tardis and acetone? Do they work differently?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
0000 was fine on my M3, will be doing the golf shortly. Acetone/tardis did seem to work differently, i found the acetone better actually, tardis just made everything greasy!!

Be careful with it though, it marks plastic/leather and turns it white - had to get the black marker pen out to colour the m3 door sills back in lol

Tardis will not damage the demister.

And I wouldn't use wire wool, but that's just me! Never had any need to use it, or acetone. Tardis and a micro fibre will work just fine!

As previously said clean an polish the window afterwards.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Wow, so many replies and not one person suggests the best option... Go and buy yourself a £20 wall paper steam stripper and use that. It will heat the glue enough so that it peels off with the film and you have nothing left to clean up.

I did my 182 in about an hour.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Are the black borders on the rear windows on the inside of the glass? and is it easily damaged?

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Did it. All 5 off.

Fronts left loads of glue but asdas own window cleaner and a Stanley knife blade sorted it.

Rears both came out very easily leaving no glue at all.

Rear windscreen left some glue but it took all the heating elements with it so looks like I need a new screen. It's slightly damaged from the previous idiot owner not replacing the rear wiper and letting it scratch the glass. It does obscure my view out of the window so maybe I'll get lucky and get it done on insurance for £50. Failing that I'll have to buy a new one.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Thought i'd report back, my tints were removed on saturday.

It came of very easily, I had the heat gun, tardis and 0000 wool ready, but when I made the first small scrape with the razor blade the tint just came away without leaving glue behind. I just had to peel it off very very slowly. I spent a good hour removing it. A tiny amount of glue was left behind from when I tried to pull it off too quickly, apart from that it came off cleanly. Guess I was lucky the previous owner chose this tint.

Job done. Thanks for the help.