ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big decision ( all out of love with the car, advice neeeded)

M135i
About 5-6 weeks ago i started an engine conversion outside my house on the road with a mate, from a 1.2 to a 2.0l to make the car afull cs rep. 6 weeks later the car still isnt running, the engine went in fine and started up first time but when ever you set off it just seems to run crap and cut out within 200 yards.

Ive changed everything i can think of, sensors, relays, fuses etcc... i even got the lads from NW performance to come up and have a look, after they dipped there heads in the bonnet for a couple of hours they were totally stumped still but we manged to find out that it only cut out and the rev's dipped when you turned the steering wheel, suggesting that its an electrial problem. So this last couple of weeks i stripped the car totally out and swapped the interior wiring loom over to a sport, tried running it again and still no luck, did exactly the same only this time blew the 'stop' fuse everytime i set off and now wont even start :dapprove:

So atm im totally out of love with the car, theres bits and pieces EVERYWHERE, literally all over the house, from sets of wheels in my front room to my old 1.2 engine down the side of my house. I have no idea what the problem is now and just basically totally lost on what to do with it.

I guess i have to options atm,

1. Send the car to the guys down at NWP and just leave it for them to look at which could would mean endless money could be spent, paying for them to find the problem, and whos to say now its been messed about with wheather it will have problems in the future.

2. Sell the car as a non working car and everything i have ( spare parts wise) and run away from clios altogether, this would mean id lose alot of money. Ive put alot of effort, time and money into making the car get to where it is today, looks wise, so running away would be quite weird as im associatied with my car and how much effort and time goes into it. Ive also spent alot of money on insurance for the 2.0l as im only 19 which ive already payed + id feel as though id have to get a new car that has at least the same power as the 2.0l engine would of had.

I need to take a big decision very soon as im really struggling to live without a car.

Haha sorry about the essay, just had to stick all the details in lol

ITB'd MK1
bit of a long shot......

there's a pressure switch in the power steering high pressure line just coming out of the PAS pump. Is it there, and is it wired in and working?

RB Clio 182 Cup
Whats the difference/advantage of taking a 1.2 and totally modifying it to make it a 182 instead of just buying a 182?

Not taking the piss, I'm genuinely confused :S

Dodgy one
stumped still but we manged to find out that it only cut out and the rev's dipped when you turned the steering wheel, suggesting that its an electrial problem.

I would say thats down to the PAS pressure switch on the high pressure line, It adjusts the revs to suit so the engine doesnt stall as idle

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Whats the difference/advantage of taking a 1.2 and totally modifying it to make it a 182 instead of just buying a 182?

If your young then you cant afford a 172/182 end of. so after building up the No claims, and if you have allready got a kit on like the OP & I have done, then its easier just to drop a sport engine in, saves money etc,

+ best of all tax is only £110 for a year ;)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
If your young then you cant afford a 172/182 end of. so after building up the No claims, and if you have allready got a kit on like the OP & I have done, then its easier just to drop a sport engine in, saves money etc,

+ best of all tax is only £110 for a year ;)

+ Just buying the car is boring :rasp:

M135i
i dont want this turning into a why build a rep.. pros and cons, i did it because i put a s**t load of effort into the car and being young im proud and appreciate having a nice looking car and i felt it was time, fiancely to upgrade the engine and so i thought it would put icing on the cake.

As for the PAS pressure switch, it it just a sensor on the pressure line ? and so just a case of gettin a new one ( i gues from renault) and swapping it over ?

M135i
Everyone else got an advise on what they would do if they were in my shoes ?

I tested the output of the alternator tonight and it showed 14 volts so im quite sure its nothin to do with the alternator.

Its definatly somthing to do with the steering, its cutting the engine out nearly everytime i turn the wheel now.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sell the s**t and buy something else.

We've all been there, chucking money at a car thinking 'just this and it will be all ok' when in reality, its a piece of steaming horse turds. I know i've done it on every Citroen i've ever owned!!!! (But I still buy them? :S)

Don't waste any more money. Sell it, replace it, DONE.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Sell the s**t and buy something else.

We've all been there, chucking money at a car thinking 'just this and it will be all ok' when in reality, its a piece of steaming horse turds. I know i've done it on every Citroen i've ever owned!!!! (But I still buy them? :S)

Don't waste any more money. Sell it, replace it, DONE.

This, i spent loads on my old clio before i got fed up and traded it in.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
I'll give you £50 for it;) Just kiding mate! I was hoping to do this next year...
Good luck with getting running!

Iceberg 172
Now this is why I'm not a lover of conversions... I'd get rid if you can get sensible money.

At 19 you should be able to get a 172 now and enjoy that.

What mods have you done to your 1.2 that you can't transfer onto a 172???

That's what I'd do... Conversions are 9/10 money pits and always have niggling issues... my old Polo certainly did hence why I got rid and got a CS... loads of fun straight out the box.

Yes it's boring but the sensible, cost effective, easy to live with options are boring!

It's ok if it's a 2nd car, but in my case and yours it's not! I can't live without a car!!

M135i
Yeah i guess i have learnt the hard way, dont get me wrong i really have enjoyed doing it (till it got to the 3rd week) and ive learnt so so so much about clios/engine's so i guess some good has come out of it.

This is how shes standing atm

DSC02650.jpg

DSC02673.jpg

DSC02652.jpg

Evora, C-HR & A180
Hope you get it sorted mate. It would be a shame to get rid after putting so much effort into the car, you'l soon fall back in love when you take it on a first run once its sorted, hopefully it is the power steering switch. Id keep it tbh mate

car looks spot on such a shame you cant get it to work. surely if you are putting a 2l in doesnt it mean you really should change other things too such as gearbox, and rear beam with brakes? fair enough you say you young but i just cant see doing all this would be cheaper than getting a 182. but fair play for giving it a go, hope you get it sorted asap

M135i
Everything has been swapped to a 182 part, inc gearbox etc... only thing ive kept orginal is the rear drums.

Yeah foxy, tried several coilpacks, spark plugs, ht leads. Even got a member off here to come up to my house to put his coilpack and ht leads as i knew they was working but still nothing

PH2 172
Everything has been swapped to a 182 part, inc gearbox etc... only thing ive kept orginal is the rear drums.

Yeah foxy, tried several coilpacks, spark plugs, ht leads. Even got a member off here to come up to my house to put his coilpack and ht leads as i knew they was working but still nothing

Not being funny,and fair play it looks the nuts, but is this really a good idea?
Potentially a much more powerful and faster car, and no improved way of stopping the thing?

Seems abit of a risk imho..

ITB'd MK1
Not being funny,and fair play it looks the nuts, but is this really a good idea?
Potentially a much more powerful and faster car, and no improved way of stopping the thing?

how much work do you think the rear does? Ask Burp what happened when he couldn't turn the rear brake bias down enough. Drums are absolutely fine

M135i
ive researched on here what brake system people reconmend on the front and ive got HC brembo disks, sport calipers, forodo ds2500 pads :)

As said above, others have ran without the rear brake conversion perfectly fine

Chav Rocket
see it out to the end fella and you will learn even more.
hopefully you wont need to do anymore big spends so the main inconvenience is not having a car.
if you need inspiration look up the RWD project in the projects section

Clio 1970000000

how much work do you think the rear does? Ask Burp what happened when he couldn't turn the rear brake bias down enough. Drums are absolutely fine

Isn't the chassis on a 1*2 modified & strengthened compared to a standard clio? I don't know the answer but would assume it was. Therefore even sorting out the engine, brakes and suspension does not make a conversion anywhere near as good or safe as the real thing.

I'm not knocking conversions. Full respect to the OP for attempting it and you have to factor in the knowledge gained from this will be worth the cost, especially if you plan to be a mechanic ;)

On a FWD car the rear brakes hardly do any of the braking. That's not to say he shouldn't have replaced the drums with discs though :S

I never understood this idea of swapping engines from a 1.2 or whatever to a 2.0. It would be far cheaper and safer to just buy the 182 in the first place. If you don't change the engine over on the logbook just to save on insurance then you might aswell have no insurance at all. In the event of a claim it'll be voided when the insurers inevitably realise you've done an engine swap.

If we're looking at it from an insurers perspective, a car that's had an engine swap (DIY or not) is going to be more of a risk than a car that comes with a 2.0 engine from the factory, therefore the policy would cost more. Modified cars are more expensive to insure, end of.

To the threadstarter - it looks like you've come pretty far and it would be a shame to stop. Just please make sure you do things properly and have a safe car at the end of it. Also buy a cheap car (you could get something with a bit of MOT/Tax for about £200 if you look hard enough) to run around in while you're sorting out the Clio. This way you've still got a car to get from A-B and you'll seriously appreciate having a 2.0 Clio when you drive a crappy car around for a bit.

Clio 200 Cup
Everyone else got an advise on what they would do if they were in my shoes ?

I tested the output of the alternator tonight and it showed 14 volts so im quite sure its nothin to do with the alternator.

Its definatly somthing to do with the steering, its cutting the engine out nearly everytime i turn the wheel now.

smells like a bad earth to me

172 Ph1, 1972 Mini 1
If we're looking at it from an insurers perspective, a car that's had an engine swap (DIY or not) is going to be more of a risk than a car that comes with a 2.0 engine from the factory, therefore the policy would cost more. Modified cars are more expensive to insure, end of.

This may or may not be the case, depends on the insurer. Yeah direct line or someone who insures standard cars would look at it that way.

Once he has done an engine swap tho some modified insurers would actually insure it as a kit car (though they may ask for a roadworthiness test) and then insurance can be stupidly low, sometimes half the original car insurance.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
On a FWD car the rear brakes hardly do any of the braking. That's not to say he shouldn't have replaced the drums with discs though :S

I never understood this idea of swapping engines from a 1.2 or whatever to a 2.0. It would be far cheaper and safer to just buy the 182 in the first place. If you don't change the engine over on the logbook just to save on insurance then you might aswell have no insurance at all. In the event of a claim it'll be voided when the insurers inevitably realise you've done an engine swap.

To the threadstarter - it looks like you've come pretty far and it would be a shame to stop. Just please make sure you do things properly and have a safe car at the end of it. Also buy a cheap car (you could get something with a bit of MOT/Tax for about £200 if you look hard enough) to run around in while you're sorting out the Clio. This way you've still got a car to get from A-B and you'll seriously appreciate having a 2.0 Clio when you drive a crappy car around for a bit.

in this case your Absolutley WRONG.

It was cheapr for me to do a engine conversion rather than buy a sport straight up, + other insurer's actually quote cheaper if a car has been slightly modified,

Clio 182 + Recaros

Me too. If you add up the cost of the parts and the labour plus the frustration it would be a cheaper option all round.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think the only real advantage is if you don't tell the insurer and register it with the DVLA. Better performance and lower tax.

Otherwise, I can't see any cost benefits if you make it all legit.

This may or may not be the case, depends on the insurer. Yeah direct line or someone who insures standard cars would look at it that way.

Once he has done an engine swap tho some modified insurers would actually insure it as a kit car (though they may ask for a roadworthiness test) and then insurance can be stupidly low, sometimes half the original car insurance.

in this case your Absolutley WRONG.

It was cheapr for me to do a engine conversion rather than buy a sport straight up, + other insurer's actually quote cheaper if a car has been slightly modified,

To both of you- I'm going by my personal experience - for me it's always worked out cheaper to insure a faster car than to modify a slow one. This is with various companies not just the 'main' ones. Insurance is a minefield of random quotes so it's not going to be the same for everyone. I guess applying common sense in my reasoning was a bad idea.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
I think the only real advantage is if you don't tell the insurer and register it with the DVLA. Better performance and lower tax.

Otherwise, I can't see any cost benefits if you make it all legit.

You don't pay anymore tax after telling the DVLA about the conversion anyway, and if you look in the right place insurance is often cheaper.

M135i
If we're looking at it from an insurers perspective, a car that's had an engine swap (DIY or not) is going to be more of a risk than a car that comes with a 2.0 engine from the factory, therefore the policy would cost more. Modified cars are more expensive to insure, end of.quote]

Wrong mate, ive told dvla and insurance thats is now a 2.0l yet they still class it as 2.0l dynamique and they treat it as 'a mod' therefore insurance is cheaper. The same insurance group who im with now said it would cost another couple of grand for insurance on a 182.

Also i got the engine on the cheap side :)