ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Race with CTR tonight....

CTR EK9 turbo

Well it finally happened. The race id been waiting for:

After leaving uni following a late night rehearsal i joined the dual carriageway and what was just coming past, but yes, a CTR! so off i go - stupidly thrashing a very cold engine (ouch!) anyway, i had to give chase as he was going for it. Anyway, as the 50 limit turns to national i cream past him and he realises what has happened and puts his foot down tagging in behind me. Cars are in front, and we wait as they clear out of the way. When the do, i boot it at around 70 in 3rd and gol dang it, engines still cold and redlines at 6800 and the CTR is gaining slightly! so im thinking "oh no im gonna get toasted!" Anyway, i move over to let him overtake while im giving it beans in 4th gear, rev limiter comes in at 6800 rpm again (GRRR!) and he very very slowly edges next to my rear right panel and stays there while we are both flat out. A car appears in the left lane and i have to brake, CTR shoots past and i tag in behind and give more chase - in fact i think i was gaining up the hill slightly, he may have let off? im not sure. It seems whoever was behind could use the slip stream! oh dear.

Anyway, lanes reduce to 1 and hes in front flash of my lower lights accompanied by his hazards. After some slow driving through built up areas, the road gets back to 2 lanes. He boots it, unfortunately a cars in the way again, and then it moves and hes off. Im right up behind him, slightly quicker at lower revs and backing off to avoid rear entry but his gears stretch quite high. My car is warm this time and our acceleration appears to be very similar. This guy is a serious nutty driver. Some corners he wimps out and doesnt take them to full potential, but others like the one near to Shell garages he takes at full whack! im thinking, no way am i going to do this at !30 with low tread tyres, and i let off throttle and watch his front wheels vibrating for grip and understeering! very very scarey - i thought he may lose it -especially if he lifts off! Anyway, we continue at a more sedate (ive sh!t my pants) rate and encounter a roundabout. We are both heading straight on and he appears to go quite quickly around the roundabout - and to answer this i do the same, but seem to carry more speed over and when we get to the dual carriageway again, i do some ful throttle gear changes and shoot past him from around 25-80+, he even swerved out of my way as i was coming past so quick!? anyway, off we go again, flat out and were again, even stevens.

Verdict - id say it was pulling away a very slight amount when my engine was cold. But was identical to mine, maybe a touch slower (driver possibly) from low speed torque-acceleration, but the high-reving VTEC cancelled out its low end "slouchyness." Really nice car, and looked good. I ended up using almost half a tank of juice!

do they handle then? you need to keep them on cam, and screeeam lol. Id of thought theyd be quick, they can run on sh*tty 95ron. 6 gears mmm... they clios arent slow though hehe.

S2000

I know what you mean about the ECU retarding the revs when cold, it can make a huge difference, as I found out when i raced my mates chipped Cupra when cold! Big difference when warmed up though!

CTR EK9 turbo

Yeah it handled ok. I took some bends quicker than he and came past him a couple times (roundabout etc) but he was more daring on one particular sweeping bend - my tyres are VERY low on tread depth and it was understeering a bit - not a nice feeling at !30+. His handled the bend nicely, and i could see him understeering slightly. Looked stable.

Ive never thrashed my car so much from Cold. Literally, the car had been off for hours and i was about to go home and just booted it! arrrrgh. You know when its (the engine management) kinda "doing weird things" - like fast then slow and altering fuelling etc. I was keeping up easily when she was albeit forcefully, warmed up.

Im checking my oil level tomorrow. That cant have been good on her! I think i toasted him off the roundabout due to A) my full throttle gear change, and B) the speed i carried around it.

Really nice cars tho. I think my car needs to breath better now. Im wondering if id had my group N ecu in id have beaten him? hmmmm....

S2000

Nah nobodys posted, just wondered if you had tried there!

BTW, your post will most likely be removed from HondaR!

CTR EK9 turbo

oh right. Well i only asked if it was anyone there. I forgot the numberplate gol dang it - something02 then NWV or something. I was too busy changing gear! and shouting COME ON!!!!

CTR EK9 turbo

hehe. Its the university orchestra. Im doing a Masters Degree in Music for some reason. So i have to play in the orchestra and do lots of solos etc. Been doing some studio producing thats been pretty cool lately. Have to edit it all now - thats going to take FOREVER!!!!

haha....a good friend (female) did music, and shes one of those who can play anything.....i think in total she had teaching level certificates for 13 diff instruments.....

we did take the piss though...

CTR EK9 turbo

Oh dear cool, she must be rich and have a whole lot of time and talent on her hands.

did you say you were at bristol uni? my friends at bath doing mech eng, so kinda close. Also - do you live near Goodwood race course. I live near Hindhead, kinda near chichester in an around-40 mile sort of closeness.

yeah, in bristol.....my GF goes to bristol...me, im at UWE....

Didnt know Bristol uni did Mech......

and u live in west chilting ton, near pulborough......which is near Goodwood....

well meet nxt time im down.......or we could meetup for a goodwood track day!!!

Dont have MSN?

Sounds like theyre no better than clios on the open road.......unfortunately Ive never been around one that wanted to play :confused:

Never thought to hang back to look at what the other car looks like tho ..... good idea!

lol

Im having a go in a CTR this Sunday, its been lowered but thats it.

Simon172- must be quite easy to slipstream its big fat ass!