ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big rattling noise. Clutch?

Clio RS
Hello

My car broke down recently due to slave cylinder failure and engine had to be removed to fix this issue. This is because my clio had an engine swap with megane RS mk2 engine.

After the repair, had a rattling noise coming from the front left when making left turns. The noise only comes when in gear but never in neutral.

But today, same noise came when car was standstill. Please check video

Video rattle video

I was thinking that this might be the clutch. But we have the clutch checked when changed the slave cylinder and it was still good.

Would be great if anyone could advise what might be the issue.

Thanks
Steven

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Does it speed up in time with the revs?

If it doesn't i'm thinking it might be something vibrating on something else.

Clio RS
Does it speed up in time with the revs?

If it doesn't i'm thinking it might be something vibrating on something else.
No it does not speed up with the revs.

Just started up the car and noise is not there anymore. But comes back from time to time.

But when making left turns, noise is back (front left) and comes from underneath the car. Looks like something is very loose.

Had the car checked by mechanic today but he could not find anything abnormal.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
No it does not speed up with the revs.

Just started up the car and noise is not there anymore. But comes back from time to time.

But when making left turns, noise is back (front left) and comes from underneath the car. Looks like something is very loose.

Had the car checked by mechanic today but he could not find anything abnormal.

If it's not speeding up in time with the revs then I would say it isn't anything rotational...

Just not sure what.

Need it on a ramp with it running to test really.

Clio RS
If it's not speeding up in time with the revs then I would say it isn't anything rotational...

Just not sure what.

Need it on a ramp with it running to test really.
First thought it was the wheel bearing but can’t be it as it was rattling even on stand still.

Seems that you are right. There must be something hitting against something else.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
On the back of the box near the starter motor, is there an inspection plate that bolts to the box to cover the flywheel?

Just worth a look because a mate of mine had a noise similar on his MK3 megane and it turned out that plate was loose.

Worth a look.

Clio mk2 1.2 petrol
Hello

My car broke down recently due to slave cylinder failure and engine had to be removed to fix this issue. This is because my clio had an engine swap with megane RS mk2 engine.

After the repair, had a rattling noise coming from the front left when making left turns. The noise only comes when in gear but never in neutral.

But today, same noise came when car was standstill. Please check video

Video rattle video

I was thinking that this might be the clutch. But we have the clutch checked when changed the slave cylinder and it was still good.

Would be great if anyone could advise what might be the issue.

Thanks
Steven
Hi I had the same problem on my girlfriends clio 182 mk2 turned out the sleeve the thrust bearing ran along had worn away and collapsed . The part was 8 quid but fitting it had me removing the subframe and taking the gearbox apart