ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big wheels to small wheels! it makes alot of difference!

My bicycle!!
Ive got a 1.2, and to be honest its slow! but driving around with 15's on 55 profile tyres makes it even slower, i didnt really know how much slower though!

Well i took them off and it makes a hell of a lot of difference!

Acceleration like a 1.2 should be still slow, but not as slow as what it was!!

But getting more to the point, how much does it affect your speedo by having big wheels?

Depends on how much bigger the outside circumference is.
It doens't realy affect acceleration though just that at a set speed your doing more rpm so say 60mph at the limiter in 3rd well stick some big tyres on and the same limiter in second your doing 72 which takes more effort so the car feels slower.

My bicycle!!
it might just feel faster because it gets up the revs quicker!

Is there not a figure that says like for example

A extra 55 on the circumfrence adjusts your speedo by 1mph?

it might just feel faster because it gets up the revs quicker!

Is there not a figure that says like for example

A extra 55 on the circumfrence adjusts your speedo by 1mph?

You can calculate it I've a program at work to do it been meaning to work it out.

It feels quicker as you think your doing 60 mph say but your realy doing say 55mpg with smaller wheels and sicne its easier to get to 50 than 60 hence you think its quicker.

When i took the 17's off my old 1.4 RT, i put the standard steelies on while i refurbed my other wheels.

It was definately much quicker to 70-80 as it would just pull past my mates 1.4 mg zr, where as with the 17s it was no where near :) i decided to go for 16s after that.

Turbo LY R27
small wheels all the way, best performance and look better espesh on little cars, big wheels look to big me thinks, not in proportion. Just my thoughts:)

If they are smaller than the original then they will have to rotate more and that meens
your mileage will go up quicker.

My bicycle!!
its made quite a bit of difference on my car, i had a race with a mate ages ago in his 1.1 106 and my clio on its 15's, and i couldnt keep up!

And today we were both on the motorway, i mean private road :p and we were both neck and neck! just goes to show i guess!