ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bike carriers

Boxster S

What does everybody think is the best way to carry one or maybe two mountain bikes on a 182?

Should I go with the roof mounted one and suffer the MPG loss or

Hook them to the back, I assume Ill need another light and number plate board with anything like this. Also, does the cup spoiler pack make any difference to this setup?

I really cant be bothered with the who process of slinging them into the boot of the car all the time.

Id be greatful for any advice anybody can offer up...

Clio 197

Id go for a roof-mounted sustem.

Ive got a Thule full roof system, with locks. It goes-on and comes off in minutes.

Ive combined them with a halfords lockable cycle carrier.

Pic showing the bars (cycle not attached):

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/omarsadek/Misc/07052005005.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/omarsadek/Misc/07052005005.jpg

Ive done emergency stops... swerved etc... and it all holds together quite well.

You can use the bars for pretty much anything, including roof-boxes etc.

Clio 197

I got my kit in the sale, at halfords ages ago - I cant remember!

Best to ring your local store for prices TBH...

http://www.skidrive.co.ukwww.skidrive.co.uk

Just go to "Roofracks/Bars Home" then use their calculator to find what you need for a Clio. Should come out with the following (which Im using on an almost daily basis):

Bars: Aerobars 861 or Rapid bar 761 (aerobar is nicer, aluminium and aero-shaped)
Rapid Foot PacK: 750
Rapid Fitting Kit: 1119
Total cost of bars: £100

Then Id suggest the best option for bike carriers are the Thule 591s (about £55 each) - solid as a brick sh*thouse even at *ahem* normal (Clio) driving speeds...

R35 GTR

How exactly does the roof bar connect to the roof? I have a bike rack, and the bikes bounce around too much.

BTW, rear racks are OK but I went and fitted apex -40mm springs and the carrier never felt secure after that - more shocks getting transferred through to the car. Roof carriers are more secure but cost a bit more.

And, mpg:
no carriers, no bikes (i.e.normal long-distance mway driving) = 45mpg
carriers + 1 bike (long-distance mway driving) = 37mpg
carriers + 2 bikes (long-distance mway driving) = 33mpg...

P.S. Check out my "member profile" for pics of the above roofbar system fitted.
[Edited by Ally on 05 September 2005 at 6:30pm]

R35 GTR

45mpg! I get around 35 with just me.

Had a look, nice looking car, dash looks a bit different.:confused:

The girlfriend said she would buy me one for birthday, know anyone who wants a halfords 3 bike carrier? The high lift one?

I want to change as it takes me about 10 minutes just to get the rack setup on the back and I cant open boot once its on, then when I get to destination, gotta take it off again. Id be out on my bike more if it was quicker.lol.

Dave, the fitting kit has clamps that clamp around the edge of the roof at the front door - dont interefere with the door at all. The rear ones clamp right next to the top of the rear side windows. Very secure. There are rubber pads that rest on the roof itself, just make sure that the paint is totally clean before fitting as they can mark the roof if you aint careful!

LOL, removed the dash top when fitting a new headunit. Makes it a lot easier and it aint a big job.

SkiDrive was the cheapest I could find after a lot of looking around.

R35 GTR

ok, thanks for the info, that does seem a very good price, I paid £70 for my boot carrier from halfords, wished I had seen this roof one. I couldnt find anything for less than £200 before.