ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bit of Advice...

Ph1 - 172
Hey Guys,

Ok, time has come to look at getting rid of my crash damaged PH1 172. I am really stuck in two minds at the moment, whether to get a TDi or to get a newer cliosport. I really quite fancy the comfy diesel that will pull all day long and give good mpg but have read alot of horror stories across multiple forums. I was looking at the Astra CDTi SRi 1.9's but they seem very fragile and costly from what ive read. Are Diesels really as bad as they sound?

Im looking at saving roughly £500 per year by switching to diesel, im aware that this could soon turn in to loosing £500 per year should the swirlflaps or DMF fail. Im doing roughly 600miles a month at them minute (partly due to limiting myself to save fuel), will a diesel really benefit me?

I love my Clio to bits. It would have been imacculate by now should i not have had the accident however as it stands i have no pride in the car anymore. It hasent been washed in months as im embarrased by the state of it. This had led me to think that looking at a 182 would be a good move should the diesel not be a wise idea.

I will have around 5k max to play with should mr bank manager be kind to me, I know this is a little low for a good quality TDi but just about right for a good nick 182 private sale.

So to recap, are diesels all they are cracked up to be or would i be better of stayin with what i know and love, clios?

Sorry for the essay, bit of a big decision for me and i really cant decide what to do!

P.S how much can i expect from breaking the PH1? Engine is strong, 81k on it. Got Vmaxx fitted 6month ago.

Cheers
James

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's be proved on here, quite a few times, that unless you're doing 25-30k miles a year, you won't really make any saving from a diesel.

Pics of the 172?

Breaking it can make you a fair bit, if you've got the time and space that is.

Ph1 - 172
Aint got any upto date pics, will try and get some tomorrow at some point. There is a thread somewhere with a picture of the damage.

I know deep down that the savings from a diesel probably wouldnt come into play for me but something about the ease of drive and the comfort is just really appealing.

Perhaps going to a PH2 will provide this for me a little more.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Not worth buying a diesel unless you're doing silly miles.
The very best way to save fuel is to drive economically.... it's not like a clio is a 15mpg V8. Just not worth changing.
You'll regret it and want to change back because you're bored of the diesel.

21 Turbo
I manage a taxi firm mate, we rent vehicles to drivers, Skoda Octavias, Superbs and VW Sharans......the latter gives the same mpg as the Clio, Octavia is good for about 40mpg but they all appear fragile. The Sharans love a top mount, cheap to do but tiresome, I've got an 09 that's had 4 sets. The slave cylinders are in the box and made of plastic, we've changed 3 in February. They piss fluid all over the clutch, thus resulting in a premature end to the plate. Vauxhalls seem to suffer with ECU and EGR valve issues, not cheap. Anything Ford from 2002 onwards seems to love munching injectors and throwing diesel all over the exhaust manifold. BMW's you have to mod the swirl flaps before you leave the showroom and they enjoy lunching on turbos.
In addition to this on average diesel is 6p a litre dearer than petrol.......I worked out that on my mileage a 172 made more sense than a mk4 Golf GTDi 130.......and not as overweight, common and more fun ;-)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive had a few mk2 clio DCi's and currently got a new mk3 one, i do about 300 miles a week so dont really need a diesel but i dont like putting 300 miles a week onto my ph1, i wanted something brand new, reliable, cumfy, quiet with loads of toys so thats why i got the dci, being a fully specced heavy mk3 on my daily drive to work it does about 15mpg more than my 172 done so dont save anything, infact im worse off however its so easy and refined to drive, you do a 500 mile drive in it and you still feel fresh, plus it makes my 172 feel faster when i get in it, makes it feel special!

if i didnt have 2 cars there is no chance i would drive a diesel, mine has a cracking chassis and a nice lump of torque but even when your shifting in it, its boring!