ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blackberry?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Is there one available that isn't huge?!

Need the easy use of emails etc, but not wanting another iphone as the battery is shocking.
What is the blackberry to go for? Want the smallest one possible.

Merc A class
Think the newest one is the Blackberry curve 9700 i am currently using the curve 8900 its a good phone

:)

ive got the bold, older one, and its honestly the best phone ive had. its large, but you get used to it and it just has so many features that are actually useful. the keyboard is also a huge bonus. phone never crashes, freezes etc. not had one problem with it in 10months. only downside for the bold is the camera (2mp)

the curve is alot smaller and lighter, but doesnt feel as well built in my opinion and the layout etc in use isnt as good. but it does have alot better camera, and if your not looking for a large phone it could fit the bill.

avoid the storm, as its suppose to be a poor effort at challenging the iphone. although theres a new one out which ive not seen yet.

i'd say the bold is the best blackberry if you can deal with its size.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
N97 needs its own trailer to tow it along!!!!
remember he is coming from an iphone and wants something smaller>

my curve 8900 has been faultless, perfect for the business type of user not into games, and camera gadgets.

Getting 3 to 5 days standby from my battery too.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not got the iphone anymore, broke it!

Got a Nokia 6500 slide (I think) at the minute.
Needs to be smaller than an iphone to fit in my pocket in my work trousers.

Quite like the look of an Nokia E75 now.

Not bothered about camera quality, music s**t etc. Use the phone to text, call and check emails. Also need the battery to last longer than a day.

my bold lasts about a day and half / two days. the trouble i had with the curve was the keyboard was too small.

cant comment on the nokia, never used one.

bold 2 9700 is the phone you need only slightly bigger then the curve fits perfect in your hand and has the best keyboard

Battery life is amazing can go on for a good couple of days with heavy usage

RenaultSport clio 17
I'm using the 9700, best ever blackberry. However the blackberry pearl (8120) is the smallest, quite old now, still get them new i think......

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Just buy another iPhone.

A BB will piss you off within 20 mins.

Iphone used to piss me off.
Piss poor battery, huge, plus costs a load more each month for no reason, not falling into that trap again.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The 9700 is about the same size as an iPhone

No it's not martin, the bold is over 1cm shorter, maybe a couple of mm thicker though, yet has half the size screen.

If you have had an iPhone, you will not find the 9700 as easy to use, the screen is too small, can't be used easily for web browsing (something I use all the time for work), and email is nowhere near as good, which surprised me as the BB Is designed around email, the iPhone just makes it easier.

and email is nowhere near as good, which surprised me as the BB Is designed around email, the iPhone just makes it easier.

lol explain?

9700 is the BlackBerry to go for at the moment. If your wanting a smaller one and dont mind waiting then go for the new Pearl which should be out in a couple of months

blackberry-9100-20091120-456.jpg

dk

911 GTS Cab
lol explain?

9700 is the BlackBerry to go for at the moment. If your wanting a smaller one and dont mind waiting then go for the new Pearl which should be out in a couple of months

blackberry-9100-20091120-456.jpg
I have and use both, iPhone is personal, bold 9700 is for work, phone of choice when checking and replying to mail is iPhone, simple.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Like I said, it's easier, layout is better, GUI, everything, bit ofcourse this is just my opinion. I like the way it corrects words for you to automatically, even if you miss nearly every letter. Bigger screen makes it easier to not haveto scroll as much, scrolling is easier with touch screen. It's just all easier. Plus I have control over the email settings, something you don't get when the IT dept control your BB settings policy. Plus using exchange you have a direct connect to the server, none of this going through BB first, which makes it quicker. I am comparing the two phones as business phones here, syncing with exchange.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If you have had an iPhone, you will not find the 9700 as easy to use, the screen is too small, can't be used easily for web browsing (something I use all the time for work), and email is nowhere near as good, which surprised me as the BB Is designed around email, the iPhone just makes it easier.
If an email comes to my email account it flashes on my phone. Simples. It's like reading a text it's instant. How is that bad. It doesn't get more simpler.

stay clear there software is crud for most things, nokia n97 for me and our kid got the mini, mine seems glitchy but his is fine
Lols a man with a n97 talking about software problems! Oh the irony!
ive got the bold, older one, and its honestly the best phone ive had. its large, but you get used to it and it just has so many features that are actually useful. the keyboard is also a huge bonus. phone never crashes, freezes etc. not had one problem with it in 10months. only downside for the bold is the camera (2mp)

the curve is alot smaller and lighter, but doesnt feel as well built in my opinion and the layout etc in use isnt as good. but it does have alot better camera, and if your not looking for a large phone it could fit the bill.

avoid the storm, as its suppose to be a poor effort at challenging the iphone. although theres a new one out which ive not seen yet.

i'd say the bold is the best blackberry if you can deal with its size.
This! I also have the bold 9000 And I think the new 9700 is very good a little tighter size wise and some nice little improvements.

I prefer my trackball to the trackpad tho.

I sent my bb away for 2 days to get the screen fixed I broke and i've never missed a phone so much.

Had my dads 3gs for the 2days and hated it! What a pile of guff! Nice idea and stuff and a stunning piece of equipment, seemed to fail at everything my bb excells at.

dk

911 GTS Cab
flol, 'pile of guff, nice idea and stuff, fails at everything a BB excells at', thats the funniest thing i have heard all year, really.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
9700 - you get used to the trackpad, the ball seems s**t to me now.

As for emails, bb wins, as said before, it's literally as simple as an email can be, all your options under one roof, no fancy movements or special keys to press, it has a menu to do the more advanced stuff like copy and paste but aside from that, overall, i'm far more productive on m blackberry, does everything i could ever need for communications. Its fast, never crashes and the battery is just ridiculously good. i've used pretty much every blackberry to date and the 9700 owns them all, by a significant margin.

Iphone is good for what it does and the games and extra apps are a great feature, but i have the option of any phone on the market and the 9700 is what i chose, over the 3gs i might add.

For all you nah sayers, i suggest getting a 9700 for a week and giving it a go, you'll be surprised.

did i mention it's pretty?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
flol, 'pile of guff, nice idea and stuff, fails at everything a BB excells at', thats the funniest thing i have heard all year, really.
In hindsight David I take it back, it's a cracking piece of kit, genuinely but not for me.

Tbh i'd rather have a touch and a BB.

The iPhone is one of the best things to come out of the last decade and will sell in versions for the next decade.

Cupra K1 & Clio 200
This is the exact dilemma I'm having at the moment. I've had the Iphone for the last 18 months and my provider have just asked if I wanted to upgrade to the 3gs for another £189 or something (pi$$ take or what!).

So I started considering the blackberry but the problem is that my work won't let me push emails to non-work phones (and they won't give me a BB) so it doesn't make sense. My personal emails are not soo urgent that I need to check them every 5 minutes.

The 9700 does look pretty and professional but the Iphone literally does do everything? Does the BB have a maps device because I found that quite handy when in a strange town and on the move?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It has a standard BB one but google maps is a 2second install and words like a sat nav for me.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
9700 should be alot better than the 9000 as it doesn't have a track ball. Sadly i've given up on my Bold 9000 now as it is now on it's 4th or 5th track ball. I'll replace it again and then sell it on.

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Iv got the bold 9000 and the size isnt that much of an issue really compare it to a iphone and its slightly shorter and just a tiny bit wider but thickness there the same. Its easy to use nice design and battery is brilliant. Friend of mine has just got the bold 9700 and that is smaller and looks really nice

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The 9700 is a bit tighter so to speak and a cracking piece of kit, I do prefer the trackball over the trackpad.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
The girlfriend has the wee 8250 with the trackpad. The ball is easier to use, but the track is going to be less likely to fail.

I trackball on mine is always getting stuck, or I have to use the enter key to select things. Happened too many times. It's a great phone apart from that.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i can't fault the battery life, 2-4 days, but i can't get used to the size of the screen, it just doesn't fit enough stuff on it, especially for web/facebook and maps etc.

Golf GTi Mk2
As a bit of a tangent, my iPhone contract is up and I'm thinking of getting a Nokia E72, looks a decent bit of kit but how does it compare to a blackberry?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Ive got a Blackberry Bold 9700 - and an iTouch.

Both the iPhone and the Blackberry's are very good phones, thats why they are both the market leaders. It just depends what you use them for... as a messaging tool, the blackberry pwns the iPhone, its just easier, more customisable and has more options to make it run as you would like it to.

The iPhone is leagues ahead with web browsing, Safari is much quicker and the apps are great (allthough most pointless) - on my touch, I use about 3 of the apps on a regular basis, the other 100,000,000 just take up space.

The main ones which I use, like newsreaders, weather, google maps and facebook.... can all be gotten on the Berry anywayz.

Whoever said above, that the iPhones email system is better than the Blackberry's must be mad. Im sure I saw a interview once, where Steve Jobs actually complimented the Blackberry's messaging functionality.

Both awesome phones in there own rights though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
If you have a touch and not an iPhone, do you actually use the features to compare. Unless you use exchange on both the iPhone and BB constantly then I can't see how it's relevant.

I have been running with both all week, and while the BB is getting slightly easier to use it's still not as good as the exchange integration on the iPhone, it really isn't. Plus, I type twice as fast on the touch keyboard compared to the stupidly small keys on the BB, plus, it doesn't seem to correct words automatically like the iPhone does which is very handy, unless I haven't found the feature.

The only benefit with the BB I can see is that the corporate phone directory is also integrated with the blackberry, but for emailing it's definitely all about the iPhone, without a doubt. If only the iPhone had the BB battery life.......

Nimbus 197
I have 8900 curve and can't fault it. As a messaging tool, it's awesome: email, msn, bbm, twitter, facebook etc. Only downside is that it's a bit slow with it not being 3G but I'm sure the Bold has that covered.

I understand the iPhone is a very decent bit of kit but I just can't get along with a virtual keyboard...fat thumbs I guess. The user interface is simply the best on the market imo. I still want one if I'm honest but don't think I could live without the Blackberry now.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
well from a corporate point of view, the bb has the ability to set up security policies deploy apps and remotely manage the handsets which is why IT depts like them i guess. I believe windows has sometihng similar now. not sure about apple though