ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bleed Valve.. which way to increase boost

Morning guys

just wondering if anyone knows which way you turn a bleed valve on the R5s to increase the boost. ive not touched this previously since i got the car... but im in the mood for messing round with it... and wanna give it a bit more push

J

bleed valves are horrible things, you are better off with adjustable boost that way you can adjust it when appropriate, as most people will not pop the bonnet and adjust it everytime it needs adjusting. as for which way i think you loosen it, this opens the valve more allowing more air out and tricking the car into thinking its running less boost than it is and keeps the wastegate closed longer. all you can do is experiment with it and see what results you get.

yeah, ill mess around with it

i will be getting a incar boost control.... but that will all be getting done when the engines getting an overhaul at k-tec, hoping september time... nice bday pressy for me :D

KTR ENGINE REBUILD
KTR / PACE CHARGECOOLER KIT
KTR POWER SYSTEM HIGH CAPACITY ALLOY INTERCOOLER
KTR POWER SYSTEM TWIN DUMP VALVE KIT
KTR POWER SYSTEM IN-CAR BOOST CONTROL KIT
KTR UPRATED ENGINE MOUNTS
EXTERNAL OIL COOLER KIT
KTR UPRATED / COMPETITION SPEC HEAD GASKET
KTR OIL BREATHER CATCH TANK KIT
KTR POWER SYSTEM LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEELS (exchange)
KTR POWER SYSTEM CAMSHAFT (exchange)
KTR POWER SYSTEM GROUP A CARB (exchange)
HIGH FLOW ANTI-PERC FAN
LOW TEMP. RADIATOR SWITCH
COPPER CORED RADIATOR
KTR UPRATED / HIGH TENSILE HEAD BOLTS
HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR (Exchange)
KTR 300 POWER SYSTEM HYBRID TURBO
KTR POWER SYSTEM BIG BORE TURBO ELBOW (exchange)
KTR POWER SYSTEM BRAIDED OIL FEED PIPE
KTR POWER SYSTEM GAS FLOWING LEVEL 3
KTR ALLOY HEADER TANK
KTR ALLOY DEGASSING CHAMBER
KTR ALLOY OIL BREATHER POT
KTR ALLOY CARBURETTOR INLET ELBOW
KTR CHROME ROCKER COVERS
KTR / JR CHROME CAPPED BREATHER FILTER
KTR POWER SYSTEM CLUTCH KIT (3 PIECE)
KTR POWER SYSTEM TUBULAR MANIFOLD
KTR/GAZ COILOVER SLAMSHOCKS

hoping for 250-300 with ease after its done :)

feck me thats a shopping list:D, this was the crossrodas i got to with my gtturbo a year ago it was mint but i came to have to make a choice either spend shedloads on it and the engine and interior getting it exactly how i wanted and worthy of a magazine feature, or buy the 172. as you can tell i went for the 172 but do still miss my gtturbo loads it was a hoot to drive and despite being a h plate still turned heads when i went out in it :D

hehe, yeah i always get people looking at mine when im driving :D maybe coz im doing 30mph over the limit on the road lol.

Red16, u sure? i put half a turn anti clockwise on the bleedvalve and now the turbo gauge needle goes off the scale and feels more pokey on max boost. hmmm

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by Red16 on 10 August 2003

u screw the bleed valve in (clockwise to increase boost), i remember doing this on my old fiesta rs turbo
My le-manns in-car boost valve is anti-clockwise to open valve m8.

Mr2 Roadster

Bleed valves are horrible, be careful, as I have seen many people end up crying as they didnt realise how much a little turn will change the boost and then... Wow... Bang... Tears!... Cash!

Quote: Originally posted by nickyb121 on 11 August 2003

Bleed valves are horrible, be careful, as I have seen many people end up crying as they didnt realise how much a little turn will change the boost and then... Wow... Bang... Tears!... Cash!
I agree its people who fit bleed valves then just turn it up that make people think 5s are unreliable. Be careful if your 5s not setup on the rollers dont run massive boost

Out of your big list of things to do, only the following will increase power....

PACE CHARGECOOLER KIT --------- OR -----------
KTR POWER SYSTEM HIGH CAPACITY ALLOY INTERCOOLER
KTR POWER SYSTEM IN-CAR BOOST CONTROL KIT
KTR POWER SYSTEM LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEELS (exchange)
KTR POWER SYSTEM CAMSHAFT (exchange)
KTR POWER SYSTEM GROUP A CARB (exchange)
KTR 300 POWER SYSTEM HYBRID TURBO
KTR POWER SYSTEM GAS FLOWING LEVEL 3
KTR POWER SYSTEM TUBULAR MANIFOLD

Its a nice list, but like Hogan said, you wont get anywhere near 250-300bhp.

Should look nice and shiny once its finished though James. Nice one.

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 10 August 2003

bleed valves are horrible things, you are better off with adjustable boost that way you can adjust it when appropriate,

In car adjustable boost is still a bleed valve, just inside the car instead of under the bonnet.