ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody Temp Gauge:

Megane Team II F1 R26
Clio has now had a new thermostat, engine coolant flush and it still sits at over 3/4's on the temp gauge.

If i disconnect the temp sensor wire, the gauge drops to zero straight away, so im wondering if its the wrong sensor or wiring somewhere in the loom.

I know the car is not getting to full temp as the new thermostat is rated to open at 89 degrees, and only opens if the car is sat for a good 10mins running.

anyone else had any kind of problem like this?

Im debating if i should put a new sensor (and probably still have the problem) or bypass completely and put a third party temp gauge in.

LY 182
to be honest, if it gets up to temperature fan cuts in and out rads hot all across etc etc i wouldnt really call it a problem.

Megane Team II F1 R26
This is it, the fan has never cut in.... If i just leave the car running the temp gauge sits as high as it can go, no fan no nothing.... Ihave bypassed the the fan and it all works fine but not once has it cut in when the temp hits top.

One thing that hasn't come on though is the temp warning light on the dash.

Megane Team II F1 R26
I can only get it to fall if i put the internal heater on full wack, it will drop just below the 3/4 as soon as i turn fan off it moves back up.

LY 182
thats your problem then, thats why your temp gauge is sitting so high you need to look at why the fan isnt working.
when you say you have bypassed the fan how exactly did you do this?
i cant remember on that particular car but i "think" they have a fan switch on the n/s lower half of the rad.. pull the plug off bridge it and the fan should run
if it does you need a fan switch (provided the rad gets hot)
if it dosn't follow the wiring back check the relay etc etc..

the only other system it could have is ecu controlled which i dont think it is,, but on that system when you pull the temp sensor plug off with the ignition on the fan should run constantly
if it dosn't its more fault finding could be ecu not earthing the relay the relay itself power to it (fuse etc) or any of the wiring in between

have fun,, lol

Megane Team II F1 R26
I bridged the fan by wiring a switch between the two wires that go to the fan, that did nothing so i then wired one direct to the battery plus, and earthed the other and the fan span up no problem - so as it stands I have a direct +12v to the fan via a switch on the dash (only downside is if i forget to turn off haha)

I have consulted mr haynes and there is no mention of a fan switch on the rad, mr haynes mentions that the coolant sensor increases the voltage the hotter it gets, (we multimetered the sensor and its a constant 5v) and mr haynes suggests that the hotter it gets the voltage is incresed to a point where the fan then cuts in, this would suggest its controlled by the ecu.... Hmmm

bloody annoying lol

LY 182
right first off bin the haynes book of lies its no good to man or beast.

next, stick your head in there and visually look at the radiator, if it has a fan switch it will be obvious its on the ns lower part of the rad end cap,, big 27mm nut shape on it and a plug on it.
see if it has that,, my bet is it does.
then report back and we will look at the next step

Megane Team II F1 R26
right first off bin the haynes book of lies its no good to man or beast.

next, stick your head in there and visually look at the radiator, if it has a fan switch it will be obvious its on the ns lower part of the rad end cap,, big 27mm nut shape on it and a plug on it.
see if it has that,, my bet is it does.
then report back and we will look at the next step

Will double check tomorrow but we did look for one, the only wires that go to the rad go direct to the fan motor, no other switch on the rad anywhere. :S

Megane Team II F1 R26
Coolant Temp sensor it was then..... and about bloody time lol.

Swapped today and hasn't even gone past halfway!! :) can sit in peace now knowing the misses isn't going to be phoning me saying shes stuck on the side of the road.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just a quick question... How much was your thermostat?? Had mine replaced today (its only a 1.2 but i'm guessing similar) and some other bits and bill was a bit of a shi**er

Megane Team II F1 R26
The clio is a mk2 ph1 1.4 RN.

The thermostat i paid £6 from halfords, they order from CAS and the nice chap at halfords didn't have one in and said he needed to order it, although told me the price and that they order CAS which is round the corner, took a trip round and he told me £15!! yeah right o mate, told him to do one on the price, but he wouldn't move on it so i left.... went back to halfords, and told him to order me one, waited 10mins CAS turns up, passes to halfords, passes to me I pay £6.....

was getting prices of £23-25 for the sensor too so went to renault and got it for £16.47