ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody valver running on 3 cylinders!

Grrrr!

Went to start it up today and it chugged away on two cylinders before finally picking up a bit to run on 3, but no. 4 was just not running until it was warm :(

I checked and the lead was sparking against the block so I guess spark plugs would be a good start to check? It always runs fine once warm, it's just not very happy starting up in the morning!

Any recommendations?

The dizzy, leads and plugs aren't that old (no more than a year I think?) so would it be worth changing them? I know the alternator's a bit weak and it struggled to turn over as I think the battery's not charging properly. :S

It's due a service soon as well so I'm thinking that getting it booked in would be a good idea... lol

Mine starts on the button, and idles fine even when cold.

However, sometimes it hunts for revs a bit when it's been raining heavily.

It also struggles in the morning when cold for the first 2 minutes of driving like it's being held back.

I attribute this to being a dodgy idle control valve, as after a couple of minutes it drives perfectly.

Don't know if that helps or not. Oh yeah, and my belt is bloody squeeky when cold, but isn't that old strangely.

I think mine can be traced back to the alternator being weak and not giving the battery a decent charge - the lights dim with the stereo up, especially with the new PIAA bulbs... lol

I am just concerned that the plugs/dizzy/leads might need doing again when they've hardly been in long, especially when they aren't exactly cheap...

What's the usual life span of them?

I can't imagine your plugs, dizzy and leads need changing that soon after doing them, surely? If it was electrical, why would that make it feel like it was running on 2 cylinders - especially as it's fine when warm?

(by the way @ "bang", I have a new coolant temp sensor that is less than 2 months old and as for belt tightening, how would I go about doing that, ta?).

I wouldn't have thought that they needed doing again, especially as they are supposed to be the decent ones from BB! I checked to make sure it's not the headgasket losing compression and there's no mayonnaise in the filler cap so that's fine. Belts are a bit sqeaky though...

Damn cars... lol

16v Phase 1
Swap the plugs around and see if it's the same cylinder mis-firing each time.. Mine was just a duff plug (even though not too old).. Managed to have a play, and by swapping the plugs found it was a different cylinder each time (indicated not the leads/dist/rotor arm, etc). Bought new plugs and all fine now. Quick way to check, and saves buying unneseccary (expensive) leads and other bits..