ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody Wheels!

As the sun was shining here today thought I would give my car a real good clean. Was getting a bit carried away and thought I would take off my wheels to give them a good clean. Anyway got the jack out , undid nuts , but the wheel would not budge. Despite putting the full weight of the car back on the wheel with no nuts ! it still wouldnt budge. Anyone got any Ideas as to how to get them off?

GR7

Shiny red R32

Try warming them up a bit with a hairdryer.

Dont let the neighbours see you though as they might think you are drying your wheels!

GR7

Shiny red R32

What about some of that WD40? Is that the stuff you use to loosen things up, or have I got the wrong name?

GR7

Shiny red R32

Just read your post again and I see that you have the nuts off already! SO my hairdrying advice is useless!

GR7

Shiny red R32

WD40 -

Lubricates manifold heat control valve
• Helps clean sidewalls on tires
• Removes tar from chassis
• Removes decals from windows and bumper
• Removes insects from front grill
• Cleans motorcycle chains
• Removes grease from clothing
• Removes adhesive tape without damaging factory paint
• Helps hone cylinder walls
• Protects corrosion-sensitive areas of car
• Prevents corrosion of spark plug cables
• Shines motorcycle finish
• Removes sludge from outside engine block
• Removes asphalt from trucks
• Cleans grime from engines
• Cleans and protects chrome on cars
• Helps remove brake dust from wheels
• Restores shine on classic cars
• Keeps hitch locks rust-free
• Cleans road oil from rocker panels
• Cleans and protects aluminum rims
• Shines car tires
• Cleans marks from rubber surfaces
• Cleans rusty bolts
• Keeps brake levers clean on motorcycles
• Removes greasy fingerprints from car interior

heh, this is how you have so many posts.. You could click "Edit"! :)

Posted after GirlRacers next post:

Hehe, Cool innit.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Why what does that do?

(Hers another post)!

I will try editing - oh, it looks like it works - thanks for the advice!

You learn something new every day and this is what I have learned today!!

Clio v6

I had the same trouble a while back. Took all the nuts off and the wheel was stuck solid. Called a mate of mine at the dealer and he siad " You have to coax it " With a heavy boot "

Worked a treat but I had a sore toe for days LOL

GR7

Shiny red R32

I have just asked a mechanic pal what he would do and he says to get a piece of wood and a hammer and keep hitting the wheel from the inside! (Obviously with the wood next to the wheel)!

Revels Mum & Sister

If that doesnt work get the old angle grinder out and teach those sticky wheels a lesson you wont forget. Hehe

Nice excuse for new wheels. Hehe maybe not. The wood thing works I had to do that on my 16V!!!

Quote "Dont let the neighbours see you though as they might think you are drying your wheels!"

So thats what you tell your neighbours when caught drying your wheels with your hairdryer:D;) "I WAS JUST TRYING TO LOOSEN MY WHEELNUTS - HONEST!!"

Thanks for the replys will have a go later if I can be bothered. Did try the large boot approach but it didnt work either.

Clio 200 FF

if anyone sees the above post about cleaning tyre sidewalls and wheels with WD40 please spray onto a cloth first then wipe on - dont spray at the wheel / tyre directly as some may get onto brake disks - the brakes will NOT work until its all cleaned off - BE WARNED :eek:

GR7

Shiny red R32

Also in that message about WD40, I have just noticed that TYRES is mispelt - this is because the whole section was copied and pasted from their website!

Clio 200 FF

A rubber mallet used by hitting from behind the rim usually works best, before refitting smear some copperslip to the wheel where it touches the hub / disk as thisll stop it sticking again.

I suppose if the wheel is stuck on itll stop anyone knicking em ;)

It would be just my luck to get a puncture on a stinking wet night and not be able to get the wheel off. As I said earlier it happened before but lowering the car back onto it worked but not this time. Wonder if its got anything to do with the Autoglym wheel cleaner Ive been using?

i think paddymph has the rite idea about cornering at high speed but do you put the bolts back on before hand? jus a thought

Lionel Richie

I had this problem, put 2 bolts back in (only finger tight) then drive round the block swerving left to right and braking hard (dont go over 20mph) thisll losen them up