ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blower not working. Intermittent problem

2001 Clio 1.2 16v
Hi All,

This is frustrating especially at this time of year when it invariably rains all the rime and I'm unable to demist my screen. The car recently developed this problem whereby the blower will refuse to work intermittently. It can kick in of it's own accord when the knob is turned to 1,2,3 or 4 but this is rarely.

Essentially, it works sometimes on all modes but at others it won't work on any mode whatsoever. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jake:D

2004 1.5 DCi 100
I had exactly this problem over the last few weeks and fixed it by cleaning up the connector that goes to the blower motor from the resistor. With the ignition on reach down and wiggle this connector about. If the fan works while you're wiggling then that's the problem. If you have a Haynes manual you can see how to get to it. Fiddly, but if I can do it anyone can :) Good luck with it.

2001 Clio 1.2 16v
I had exactly this problem over the last few weeks and fixed it by cleaning up the connector that goes to the blower motor from the resistor. With the ignition on reach down and wiggle this connector about. If the fan works while you're wiggling then that's the problem. If you have a Haynes manual you can see how to get to it. Fiddly, but if I can do it anyone can :) Good luck with it.

Hi. Thanks for your reply! Whereabouts is the connector you talk about. Can you describe how to get to it please. Thanks very much!

2004 1.5 DCi 100
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?390772-heater-fan-question&highlight=no+heater

The first picture in this thread is what mine looks like. The red and black wires going down from the resistor multiplug under the fan housing go to the connector. Follow them down to the plug and with the fan and ignition turned on give the plug a wiggle. If the fan works you will need to remove the blower motor to get to the connector to clean it. Remove the resistor multiplug. Undo the 3 6mm bolts you can see in the picture. I used a 6mm socket on an Allen key to get the top 2 and the same socket on the end of a screw driver to get the awkward one down the side. The fan housing can then be taken out. Push the spades out a bit to make a tighter contact and spray a little WD40 on them. Then work the plug on and off a few times to create a clean track. Put it back together and test. If that was your problem then the fan will work fine :approve:

2001 Clio 1.2 16v
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?390772-heater-fan-question&highlight=no+heater

The first picture in this thread is what mine looks like. The red and black wires going down from the resistor multiplug under the fan housing go to the connector. Follow them down to the plug and with the fan and ignition turned on give the plug a wiggle. If the fan works you will need to remove the blower motor to get to the connector to clean it. Remove the resistor multiplug. Undo the 3 6mm bolts you can see in the picture. I used a 6mm socket on an Allen key to get the top 2 and the same socket on the end of a screw driver to get the awkward one down the side. The fan housing can then be taken out. Push the spades out a bit to make a tighter contact and spray a little WD40 on them. Then work the plug on and off a few times to create a clean track. Put it back together and test. If that was your problem then the fan will work fine :approve:

Thanks so much. I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully it works fingers crossed! :)

2001 Clio 1.2 16v
Done everything exactly as you described. Instructions were spot on so thank you. However fan still not working anow producing a gurgling noise and burning smell when it decides to try and come to life. Is this a sign that the motors gone and I need to take it to a garage? Thanks again for your help?

2004 1.5 DCi 100
Sounds like the motors gone. Cheap used ones on Ebay. Just be sure to get the right one, you know what it looks like now and you know how to swap it :)