ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blowin’ Fuses!

Hi All,

Got a bit of a problem that I need some help with. I was driving along just fine last night when the engine cut out on me. I pulled over fearing the worst but thankfully I found that one of the fuses had blown - the 25A one with a picture of an engine on it - not completely sure what this is? Haynes not to hand!) Replaced this and started up OK, got 10meters down the road and it blew again. Replaced it again and found that everytime I turned the key to the 2nd position - the one before you turn over the engine - it blew the fuse. I checked for any obvious shorts and have got through about 10 25A fuses so far...I tested with a 30A as well and it still blows.

Can anybody help me out with some suggestions of what might be the problem or what troubleshooting I can do? I have removed all my amp wiring for the time being so its not that. It had a new battery last week as well.

Looks like its a tow to Mr Renault if I cant sort it....

Thanks

Oli

Have you checked the earth for the battery? Seems coincidental that youve got a new battery to me.

Other than that, it could be a long haul. Id take it to an auto electricians rather than Renault - they know their stuff better.

Take it to an auto electricians - theyll have seen it all before.

Seems coincidental that theres a new battery - did you knock something?

its defo shorting on something.....i had a similar fuse frenzy when i realised i had earthed the lights plus put on a a negative.....DOI!

Thanks for the suggestions Ben...I swapped the battery today but still had the same problem. Got the RAC out and he was pretty confident a wire is shorting out somewhere - it has probably fused to the bodywork as the 25A ignition fuse blows immediately you switch the ignition on.

Its a long shot, but can anybody recommend a good auto-electrical place in the Herts/ Essex area...might as well ask just in case!

Thnx

Oli