ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blown Gearbox?

Williams Hybrid
I have just bought a mk1 with a williams engine and a 172 gearbox. Basically the boy i bought it off, was out in it the night before I was due to pick it up. He was wheel spinning, and then he said it just stopped moving. I dont know how much I believe his story, and I did ask if there was a bang or anything which he assured me no. Basically, the car feels like it is going into gear, but just doesnt move there are no horrible noises in any of the gears, apart from 5th i think it is, makes a slight whine, but nothing major at all. Any suggestions as to what has happened here? I have a few suggestion on the 16v forum, but thought I would also ask on here and cover all angles this w.e. Cheers

Dave

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would be 99% sure its the circlip.

Trouble is once they do it once, they tak the edge off the circlip groove so if you just push it back in, it will no doubt happen again fairly soon after, although various people have tried drilling and tapping a retaining plate, or chemical glueing them in to varying degrees of success.

Luckily the mk1 is a little easier to change the box on than a mk2, but its still a ballache.

Williams Hybrid
WEll, sorry I should have expalined. I got it half price after he did this, and I am hoping that I will be quids in and its an easy fix. Yes, I thought the criclip aswell tbh. Pain in the ass really, but as said, I did get the car cheap so just have to try and fix this now. Where abouts is this circlip? Anyone have a pic? Thanks for the quick reply

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you take the passenger side shaft out, its under there.

You can reposition it with the box still in place, its only the shaft you need to take out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Worth a try rather than have to pull the box out.

Make sure you have a hoover running when you drill it, and pack it round with greasey cloths etc, just to try and get as little swarf as possible into the box.

Williams Hybrid
Worth a try rather than have to pull the box out.

Make sure you have a hoover running when you drill it, and pack it round with greasey cloths etc, just to try and get as little swarf as possible into the box.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Ill check this w.e. if it is the circlip, Ill pop it back in, and then Ill purchase that plate. Car wont be moving anywhere anyway, so it makes sense to check before I buy the plate. Clios :/. On the bright side, if it is just the circlip, I have got a pretty good deal with the hybrid. :)

I used one of the above things from ebay when my circlip popped.

It worked a treat for the two years i kept the car!! 4.1mm jobber drill bit and an M4 tap is needed to refit..also helps if you stick a magnet to the diff near where you are drilling to catch the swarf then flush the box through a couple of times to help remove anymore.

It worked a treat for the two years i kept the car!! 4.1mm jobber drill bit and an M4 tap is needed to refit..also helps if you stick a magnet to the diff near where you are drilling to catch the swarf then flush the box through a couple of times to help remove anymore.

Williams Hybrid

Thats great, I will get the car home, give it a lok over, and if its the circlip, I will invest in one of these rings. Cheers for the input lads

Williams Hybrid
Is it just a standard M4 thread? I have a tapping kit at home, will double check what type they are