ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blue screen - XP - Gurus needed

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Errors have been C000021a and C0000005.

Its been randomly blue screening for a couple of months now ONLY on login but not all the time. The event viewer refers to access violation a couple of time to IE, AVG and a couple of other programs so pretty ramdom me thinks. Also checked a couple of dumps files that refer to a memory problem.

Ran memtest the other day and got some memory errors - so i thought great that must be it, so i reseated the RAM and memtest passed after that time after time.

However, its errored again today, both event viewer referring to IE.

The error can not be reproduced - i have rebooted 20 times and logged in completely fine. The only pattern is that it only does it when the machine is cold, first thing in a morning for example...... which makes me think RAM ? Possibly when its heated up the fault is temporarly ok ?

I am going to replace the RAM and do a clean install of XP, just wondering if anyone has come across similar errors and what you found ??

Cheers!!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
could you try taking 1 or more ram sticks out and giving it a few days with just one stick in and rotate.

could narrow it down to a dodgy stick!

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Yep, just one stick in. So im changing that first. The errors seem pretty generic and there isnt a 'definite answer' by all accounts.

I've seen faulty RAM do all sorts of weird things in the past so even though it looks ok through the test i'm hoping there is still a fault with it. The RAM is unbranded aswell which makes me think thats the culprit even more. I'm even wondering if the OS got corrupted in places when it was originally installed due to the RAM ?

I just cant see it being anything else, if it still errors after this im stuck!

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I had something similar with my pc, boot it up and pc would work fine for weeks then out the blue i'd get the blue screen saying memory error. A few months ago i did a clean windows XP install and have had no problems.

Try a clean install of XP first and install a few programs at a time, sometimes you get memory errors from software conflicts.

I wouldnt change the RAM yet, you could try what Adams 16v wrote ^^

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
You could try change the RAM, but i cant be 100% sure that would solve the problem.

Post your reply once you change the RAM, would like to know if this actually fixes it.