ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BM Catalysts dodgy cats

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I know, I know, everyones going to say but why did you sell a perfectly good cat and replace it with this shite but I want to highlight the poor quality of BM Catalysts. This is the replacement for one which had the same issue as well as weld splatter in the lambda thread which destroyed a perfectly good lambda.

The threaded part has been welded on in the wrong place causing it to foul on the sensor.

Anyone got a post cat lambda for sale?😫

Attachments

• 20210420_183718.jpg
    20210420_183718.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 20210420_183726.jpg
    20210420_183726.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 128

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I know, I know, everyones going to say but why did you sell a perfectly good cat and replace it with this shite but I want to highlight the poor quality of BM Catalysts. This is the replacement for one which had the same issue as well as weld splatter in the lambda thread which destroyed a perfectly good lambda.

The threaded part has been welded on in the wrong place causing it to foul on the sensor.

Anyone got a post cat lambda for sale?😫

Had a few of these and recommended them too. Not had any issues with fitment or emissions and have been pleased. I think you have probably been rather unlucky if that is your second one with the same issue. I would either return and hope for third time lucky or get a dremel to it.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I think I will grind it out with my dremel, cant believe I've had two in a row. Good news is that BM catalysts have acknowledged the fault and are sending out a third prior to checking it over.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Every time I've seen one of their cats used it either barely scraped the MOT for a year and failed the year after, or had worse results than the old OE cat being removed....

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Every time I've seen one of their cats used it either barely scraped the MOT for a year and failed the year after, or had worse results than the old OE cat being removed....

As an MOT tester I can say they won’t look like they’ll pass unless they’re hotter than OE. Get them hot enough and suddenly they kick into life.

I don’t buy the ‘they wear out’ theory My old one had one in my ex’s & my ownership for maybe 7/8 years and was fine. My work mate has it now and I’ll mot it soon.

My current 172 also has one that I fitted last year and I watched my work mate MOT it. As soon as it got hot enough it sailed it no problem. The issue is if you have an impatient MOT tester as they’re not as good as OE but we come across various cars even with OE cats that need to be even hotter than a 172 with an AM cat. A modern ecoboost 1.0 for example. They’ll look like it’s no chance then get them really hot and suddenly they come good.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Yeah, I had the same on a few cars with them on, but some of the small engines with underfloor cats you had to block the damned exhaust with a rag and rev the tits off it to get them warm enough to even try to pass.

For the money you're getting for OE cats these days, blueprint items like this are worth the risk. That just needed filing or whizzing over with a dremmel before fitting.

Just ordered my mate a blueprint one for £200. EP3 OE cats are going for £900 this week, madness not swapping them.

Little scag rats are jacking cars up and cutting them out these ways. Quick £900 for them.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
For the money you're getting for OE cats these days, blueprint items like this are worth the risk. That just needed filing or whizzing over with a dremmel before fitting.

Just ordered my mate a blueprint one for £200. EP3 OE cats are going for £900 this week, madness not swapping them.

Little scag rats are jacking cars up and cutting them out these ways. Quick £900 for them.
I started grinding it with my Dremel it was eating the grinding stone away quicker than the stainless steel.