ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMC Filter

yes, mines a cup so no aircon pipes. ps. you have to get a BMC SP-08. Theyre a special fit for the 172 and are 160mm long vs the standard BMC which is 200mm. That length difference is critical for a good fit.

several options:

1 straight through to the upper front grille, slightly overlaps with the top of the radiator, but gives by far the shortest and most direct route. involves removing a metal plate behind the front grille.

2 straight down and then bend te pipe to fit behind the front lower grille. Thats what Im currently running. If you shorten the elbow hose between the throttle body and the BMC, youll get more space.

3 from the BMC to the front of the battery, and down below the front headlight. You can remove the front foglight or make a hole in the bumper.

I will be removing my front bumper and optimising my setup in a few weeks time, as inlet temperature are crucial to the engine as well as inlet tract etc.

Hope this helps, P

to comment on dashs point about filter improvements, original etc. My first mapping + RR of the car was done AFTER exhaust/BMC/Unichip, so unfortunately I cant comment objectively on any improvements made by fitting the BMC.

I can however give you my impressions: I strongly suspect that the BMC adds little or no power, I even suspect that it may affect low-rev torque negatively. The airbox on the Mk2 has a clever design feeding less air at low revs to maintain torque. The advantages of the BMC are probably induction noise and looks and a VERY marginal weight saving.

I have moved on to many other modifications on the car that do improve power, but I would not necessarily categorise the BMC as one of them. If you have decided you want to fit an IK, I think the BMC is better value than a viper and definitely looks a lot more business like. In retrospect my advice would be to keep the existing airbox and simply replace the panel filter with a bmc/itg/green element. Spend the £150 youll save on something else.

i have ATW printout during RS-R development of 6bhp peak and 10bhp midrange for teh viper, which is the same thing......which surprised me.