ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 120d or 125d?

WR1 impreza
I know there are plenty of BMW owners on here so I thought I'd ask.

We are looking to change the wife's ecoboost Fiesta and she has her heart set on a 1 series. I'm off to look at a 125d Msport this afternoon but she's worried about the economy of it over the 120d. She has a spec in mind and we are struggling to find it in 120d form.
She's doing 15k per year with work now but does anybody know if there is a big mpg difference between the two?? The tax is only an extra £90 and £100 in insurance so that's not an issue.
I presume the servicing is the same as well with it being the same 2L engine????

Any advise welcome and before anyone suggests an alternative, it's got to be a white diesel msport nothing else. Bloody woman ???
Many thanks

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The 123d (the old twin turbo 2L diesel) was more efficient than the 120d.

Why does it have to be diesel though? Even if it was 20% better on fuel you're talking hundreds of pounds difference per year not thousands. And if it's about saving hundreds of £ per year then why spend £10k+ on a car to get to work?

I'd be talking her into an M135. Plenty of white ones out there ;)

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not too sure what the 125d is like on fuel, but my wife has a 120d x-drive and does similar mileage(15k). We are getting around 48mpg on average. It is a 2013 model, m-sport with loads of options. Was a lucky find on here when we were looking for one. She loves it!

WR1 impreza
The 123d (the old twin turbo 2L diesel) was more efficient than the 120d.

Why does it have to be diesel though? Even if it was 20% better on fuel you're talking hundreds of pounds difference per year not thousands. And if it's about saving hundreds of £ per year then why spend £10k+ on a car to get to work?

I'd be talking her into an M135. Plenty of white ones out there ;)

TBH it's what she wants more than anything. I've tried to have the petrol conversion but she's not having it so she can crack on ?. It's all about colour and options ? Having slept on it I think the 125d is no longer an option. Having a look at a newer 118d on Saturday now so that should be fine although I'm a little disappointed ? Thanks tho

WR1 impreza
Not too sure what the 125d is like on fuel, but my wife has a 120d x-drive and does similar mileage(15k). We are getting around 48mpg on average. It is a 2013 model, m-sport with loads of options. Was a lucky find on here when we were looking for one. She loves it!

That's great to here thanks. The 125 has been shelved and we're back down to a 118d msport with options so we will see. Thanks for the info tho. 48mpg sounds reasonable

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
When you start it up from cold, hold the revs at around 1k to 1.2k and listen for a noise that sounds like a train on the tracks. That'll be the timing chain.
Depends on age/mileage that you're looking at of course.

WR1 impreza
When you start it up from cold, hold the revs at around 1k to 1.2k and listen for a noise that sounds like a train on the tracks. That'll be the timing chain.
Depends on age/mileage that you're looking at of course.

We will be looking at a facelift 2015 model if that makes a difference??

Clio RS 200
Got a lovely 123d coming up for sale...just to chip in.
They're good cars and the performance you get for such a good return on economy is hard to turn down if you're racking up the miles.