ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW M2 - questions!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My fear is that with the new tax rules next year prices for anything used and nice will continue to be high, go up and if I leave it another few years I'll never get into something more modern and nice.....

New tax rules? What are they?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
New tax rules? What are they?
No see, what happened was, I misread something in a panic, then told the world about it.

Literally called 3 people to tell them it was going to cost thousands per year to tax a new car:

1636233943262.png

First license rates is not cost of tax each year as I originally read it.

My thinking was that this would be a very typical thing for the govt. to do to encourage EV etc. and that such high tax rates would force used car prices to remain high (or increase) for several years to come.

However that just is not the case.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Also,

After a long heart to heart with myself I have not sent the deposit, I deliberately did not get pissed tonight so I could have a think on it. The replies here and from my father have encouraged me to save up for another 6months, see if prices have settled down (bet they f**king won't) and buy something which isn't a category N.

I do really like the M2 still...

Unusual I know, for someone to take advice offered on here lol but there we go.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Also, this is the last vid the dealer sent me:

They also requested that the deposit be paid to a personal account and have only be operating since October. So while I don't doubt the car does exist and that I could go and buy it.... a few things just don't add up. Especially given the demand for M2's currently I believe this car should be closer to 28k from a dealer even with the CAT N.

I will still sleep on it because it would be a fun car for a year or two, and if prices stay high I think it could be moved on without too much trouble but..... you've all (and my father) put me off a bit. As it happened the only reason I didn't transfer the deposit was that the Mrs was hounding me to get out the door to fireworks.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's a wise decision.

Save a little more and buy a non cat M2 comp. Will hold value better after prices crash again so the real cost won't be so much and it'll be a far nicer car in the meantime.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Also, this is the last vid the dealer sent me:

View attachment 1565363

They also requested that the deposit be paid to a personal account and have only be operating since October. So while I don't doubt the car does exist and that I could go and buy it.... a few things just don't add up. Especially given the demand for M2's currently I believe this car should be closer to 28k from a dealer even with the CAT N.

I will still sleep on it because it would be a fun car for a year or two, and if prices stay high I think it could be moved on without too much trouble but..... you've all (and my father) put me off a bit. As it happened the only reason I didn't transfer the deposit was that the Mrs was hounding me to get out the door to fireworks.

What the f**k.

I mean I would understand it if it was a mustang or something mad.

Modern turbo cars don’t get sold on the sound of the engine. Never mind it getting revved from cold for no f**king reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
What the f**k.

I mean I would understand it if it was a mustang or something mad.

Modern turbo cars don’t get sold on the sound of the engine. Never mind it getting revved from cold for no f**king reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know, it really, really put me off.

Thats the dealer at the valeting place, can you even imagine the ragging they gave the car there and back!?!

The first vid they sent was alright, not much wrong with it, then they sent a video of the engine which they deleted from whatsapp before I could watch it (odd) and then they sent the rev limit video. It also has a dangly pot of something from the rear view mirror and blacked out windows.... I don't think its a car for me tbh and was just getting very carried away in the moment of wanting to own an M2.

First not too awful walk around - with the correct level of for sale revving:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
So I read this thread from start to finish and it all screams desperation from you to find reconciliation in this car (and the dealership) which btw sounds like the most Bradford place I've ever heard of judging by the videos and how they conduct business.

Sometimes it's so easy to get the rose tinted glasses on when something like this pops up and it can be inevitably hard for people around you to show you what's actually going on.

I am so glad that you pulled out of the sale, its got literally every red flag going for it! I just hope you use this as a bit of learning curve and not to rush into the next sale.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
So I read this thread from start to finish and it all screams desperation from you to find reconciliation in this car (and the dealership) which btw sounds like the most Bradford place I've ever heard of judging by the videos and how they conduct business.

Sometimes it's so easy to get the rose tinted glasses on when something like this pops up and it can be inevitably hard for people around you to show you what's actually going on.

I am so glad that you pulled out of the sale, its got literally every red flag going for it! I just hope you use this as a bit of learning curve and not to rush into the next sale.
Indeed,

You know what its like, find a car that you like - forget all common sense. I realise I do this which is why I started the thread as a reality check. I've tried on and off over the past year to buy something I want, each time the dealer either sells the car before I get there or there turns out to be something awful wrong with the car. Buying cars now is even harder, feels like a race which you kind of need to rush into otherwise the cars are gone before you even pick up the phone.

135i coupe, sold the day I was due to pick it up
ISF, sold in the 10mins between me putting the phone down for a think and calling back to arrange viewing
E92 M3 which turned out to have been clocked

Ignoring the E92, the common theme was that I never put a deposit down on the car, so this time round I was dead set on finding something, putting a deposit down and just buying it, this morning I had absolutely talked myself into buying this car - deep down I had reservations about the dealership but (your right) wanted to convince myself they were a bunch of alright chaps, the car being CAT N I'm alright with given the price but the video they sent last just really fucked me off, that and the personal bank account for deposit.

I'm sure everyone does this to a certain extent, finds something expensive they want, talks themselves into it then looks for people around them to help convince them its a good thing to do. Actually in this instance instead of calling car mates who all would have said 'yea, sweet, do it, do it' I called my old man and put a post up here because most here seem to be (despite this originally being a Clio forum) pretty level headed and many own decent cars and can offer sensible advice.

I think if you try to talk yourself, and others who aren't emotionally involved into something and at the end everyone says - don't do it, then you have to admit that your rushing into something potentially stupid. It also doesn't help that I am set on not financing something otherwise with a 25k deposit I'm sure I could get into something quite serious, together with some quite serious repayments!

Ultimately I still have a number of shittier cars which I should sort out and sell before pissing my neighbors and Mrs off with another - my feelings are the same though, I've always had a decent job, put all my money into the flat then house and had sub 10k cars while watching mates all get really nice motors, I truly believe that if I don't get into something decent in the near future it will become harder and harder and just won't happen then I'll look back and feel stupid for not doing it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Something will pop up eventually. You really cant tell whats going to happen in 6 months or so. I spent months looking for a unit and one popped in a great area with friendly neighbours, I'd lost hope many times.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Touring_Rob buy ^^^ instead.
I could tell that M2 was a "Cat" car before you even said it (or i looked at anything other than the 1st photo), BMW spidy senses were tingling.
Thanks Dave, the number of M2's for sale which are CAT N or S is quite amazing, these seem to be cars which are bought mostly by reprobates on finance who try the traction control button and regret it lots.

The same is true of 135i and 140i, lots and lots of damaged repaired cars for sale!

I'm going to save up some more money and buy something from a main dealer I think. I do like the E9x cars but would want a lower miles comp pack if I'm totally honest - although the car @-Rob has for sale above looks lovely and seems to be reasonably priced!

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Good decision. May not be the rear end, but the exhaust looks shite on the advert. Makes you wonder whether it's a sub quality pattern replacement after damage.

Unless they all have exhausts that look like that?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Thanks Dave, the number of M2's for sale which are CAT N or S is quite amazing, these seem to be cars which are bought mostly by reprobates on finance who try the traction control button and regret it lots.

The same is true of 135i and 140i, lots and lots of damaged repaired cars for sale!

I'm going to save up some more money and buy something from a main dealer I think. I do like the E9x cars but would want a lower miles comp pack if I'm totally honest - although the car @-Rob has for sale above looks lovely and seems to be reasonably priced!

Wanna buy a 340i?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Good decision. May not be the rear end, but the exhaust looks shite on the advert. Makes you wonder whether it's a sub quality pattern replacement after damage.

Indeed,

I later thought on what @R3k1355 had said - for a fairly valuable car which isn't that old the damage must have been fairly substantial for it to be written off. Expect the repair cost to have been over half the value of the car.

The exhaust didn't look standard to me, they said they thought it was a Remus but who knows. I also thought the M2 had a soft limiter (could be wrong) so its probably had a pikey remap too seeing as they were bouncing it off the limiter in the whatsapp vid.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Wanna buy a 340i?
This journey actually started with me looking at 340i tourings....

So unsure, I would really like a touring but your 340i is bloody lush! Right now Im inclined to save up for another 6months, fix and sell a few cars which are just sitting here doing nothing then start the hunt properly.

Also hoping supply will ease a little next year so prices will return to normalish.

I'm thinking more front bumper damage as the rear plate is a BMW dealer one and the front is from a different dealer?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I'm thinking more front bumper damage as the rear plate is a BMW dealer one and the front is from a different dealer?
tbh I couldn't easily spot where it had been damaged - paint match looks good (in pictures). Dealer said passenger side panel damage. But for a 15k repair that must be the whole side.

My plan was to have a good look at wheels and tyre date codes etc to try and work out if a wheel had been ripped off or something, panel gaps seem fair.

Although - having another look at pics (I had missed this before) the passenger wing looks to be a slightly different shade:
1636376483845.png

They aren't going to write a car off for a front wing so probably had the front end repaired as you suggest. It also had loads of different plates on the car:

1636376574349.png

1636376599591.png

Plate swapping seems to be from the first owner, damage done by the second. So damaged when it was 3ish years old, must have been worth over 30k so repairs were probably quoted as being over 15k by BMW i'd guess.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
This journey actually started with me looking at 340i tourings....

So unsure, I would really like a touring but your 340i is bloody lush! Right now Im inclined to save up for another 6months, fix and sell a few cars which are just sitting here doing nothing then start the hunt properly.

Also hoping supply will ease a little next year so prices will return to normalish.
I'm not quite ready to sell mine yet tbh still trying to find the "right" 997, let alone move in to my 1st house. All thats still on going so need to wait for that to complete first.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
tbh I couldn't easily spot where it had been damaged - paint match looks good (in pictures). Dealer said passenger side panel damage. But for a 15k repair that must be the whole side.

My plan was to have a good look at wheels and tyre date codes etc to try and work out if a wheel had been ripped off or something, panel gaps seem fair.

Although - having another look at pics (I had missed this before) the passenger wing looks to be a slightly different shade:
View attachment 1565557

They aren't going to write a car off for a front wing so probably had the front end repaired as you suggest. It also had loads of different plates on the car:

View attachment 1565558

View attachment 1565559

Plate swapping seems to be from the first owner, damage done by the second. So damaged when it was 3ish years old, must have been worth over 30k so repairs were probably quoted as being over 15k by BMW i'd guess.
Don't keep thinking about it, it's not the one mate.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not quite ready to sell mine yet tbh still trying to find the "right" 997, let alone move in to my 1st house. All thats still on going so need to wait for that to complete first.
Id love a GEN2 997 4s - would be my perfect 911

Don't keep thinking about it, it's not the one mate.
You are right. I'm not losing any sleep over it (tonight anyway)

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Id love a GEN2 997 4s - would be my perfect 911

You are right. I'm not losing any sleep over it (tonight anyway)

A Gen 2 would be lovely, however slightly out of reach. I am however I bigger fan of the Gen 1 rear end, especially one with the Aero kit. I'd be tempted to take the spoiler off though and make it look like a GT3 Tourer. You have to mess don't you, as a car enthusiast.

You sound a bit like me tbh mate, when I do find a 997 I want I will talk myself into it and out of it easily a dozen times.

Last edited:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
A Gen 2 would be lovely, however slightly out of reach. I am however I bigger fan of the Gen 1 rear end, especially one with the Aero kit. I'd be tempted to take the spoiler off though and make it look like a GT3 Tourer. You have to mess don't you, as a car enthusiast.

You sound a bit like me tbh mate, when I do find a 997 I won't I will talk myself into it and out of it easily a dozen times.
Indeed, spend ages finding the 'right car', deliberate over it endlessly then change stuff about it as soon as you can. Sometimes I wish I didn't know anything about cars and was happy driving a financed Kia, life would be so much easier.

And yes, just looked at some GEN2 prices, they are very much higher than I was expecting.

Only advice my dad ever gave me when I was young about women was to find a rich one, I should have listened :ROFLMAO:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Unfortunately the repair bill can soon creep up to be hilarious on cars like this. For example, if it’s got adaptive zenons fitted, you’re into £1k. Per lamp. Plus the headlamp electronics. Plus coding/programming.

All adds up to a large amount of money, very quick.
My friend at parklane is going to run the plate through the system later out of curiosity to see if there is anything. But yes if it was a front end it could have done all sorts of expensive but relatively minor damage!

1k per lamp, Jesus!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Indeed, spend ages finding the 'right car', deliberate over it endlessly then change stuff about it as soon as you can. Sometimes I wish I didn't know anything about cars and was happy driving a financed Kia, life would be so much easier.

And yes, just looked at some GEN2 prices, they are very much higher than I was expecting.

Only advice my dad ever gave me when I was young about women was to find a rich one, I should have listened :ROFLMAO:
Oh I've done that I'm not daft.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Unfortunately the repair bill can soon creep up to be hilarious on cars like this. For example, if it’s got adaptive zenons fitted, you’re into £1k. Per lamp. Plus the headlamp electronics. Plus coding/programming.

All adds up to a large amount of money, very quick.
This... even on my old E90 the xenon headlights were mental expensive. Warranty work for a faulty unit £1300, replaced the headlight and the unit that controlled it.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
This... even on my old E90 the xenon headlights were mental expensive. Warranty work for a faulty unit £1300, replaced the headlight and the unit that controlled it.
tbf it was never overly cheap even on the E46 M3, think I went through 2 ballasts from BMW before giving up and installing aftermarket units.