ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW or Orange?

M_power__by_p_easy.jpg

Look at the state of this, last time I saw something with orange peel that bad it was wearing lycra hotpants bent over a "pimped" saxo at Trax.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There was a thread on DW a while back and I thought the beemer had had a resprayed quarter the orange peel was that bad.

Turbos.
All modern BMWs are like this, in fact most modern cars period because of the way paint is now done...

I've heard some people getting their cars sanded down by detailers to sort it out! Some people reject their cars too.

I can't say I blame them especially on a car of that value. Renaults certainly seem to suffer it a bit bit that looks very severe.

Pathetic, really is, paying good money for such an expensive car, you would expect it to be flawless. It would go straight back.

Paint products aside it can be resolved, it's not the tree huggers fault they are prepared to send a product out to the customer in that state. If they can't find a way of painting the car to a good standard they should be having them all wetsanded/mopped/whatever before they leave the factory.

Turbos.
Mine is no where that bad, but it helps that its not a dark colour. When my dad had a black X3 it was shocking, as bad as the above photo over the whole car.

Paint products aside it can be resolved, it's not the tree huggers fault they are prepared to send a product out to the customer in that state. If they can't find a way of painting the car to a good standard they should be having them all wetsanded/mopped/whatever before they leave the factory.

I agree, up to a point. Unfortunately there's just no way a car plant could do that quick enough to every car without massive rises in costs. Hopefully the paint shop processes will improve over time. I agree it's not a reason for the customer to be satisfied, I'm just saying there is a reason for it.

Homo spec mazda
My big brother works at BMW and the cars he brings home are all like this, everything from 1-7 series is exactly the same.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Aston martins have loads of paint issues also and there all hand painted. So...pffft

I believe it's more the type of paint, than how it's applied. A manual sprayer is going to use pretty much the same technques as the robots. The robots will be more consistent of course. I understand it's more to do with the drying & oven processes. I could be wrong, though.

Either way, you're never going to completely get rid of OP unless you figure out a way to paint correct an entire car in around 40 seconds.

B

Brown.

the inner lip on my arches is the same, it seem that BM put so much effort into (obvs not in this case but general) the outer asthetics, panels like boot lids are terribly finished/ halfpainted etc....

the inner lip on my arches is the same, it seem that BM put so much effort into (obvs not in this case but general) the outer asthetics, panels like boot lids are terribly finished/ halfpainted etc....

What do you mean inner lip?

Hondas are really bad for this too.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yep, this is why mines going to the body shop! Horrific!
Wet flatten Ali? Clark could do it for you? If it doesn't work no harm done?

Look at that beemer posted a while back, looked like glass after.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Wet flatten Ali? Clark could do it for you? If it doesn't work no harm done?

Look at that beemer posted a while back, looked like glass after.

lol. no no. Clarks too busy anyhoo! Body shop will hook me up when it's in for a respray!

MCS R56
Maybe the manufacturers have seen all the idiots using the rusted bonnets, so think they don't have to use quality paints etc? The market has changed.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Cant explain the top part, but all new cars a slightly orange peely because the paints are water based aren't they?